PDA

View Full Version : Madison Dog Morning Walk

lowell holmes
11-16-2018, 11:30 AM
We have a nine year old female black lab named Madison. I have been taking her with me on my morning walk lately. This morning we did 3/4 mile.
She is resting on the living room floor now.

Several years ago, I had a heart attack and made a midnight ride to the ER. After getting out, I read a book on fitness walking. I walk 3/4 mile each morning.
I have fully recovered and am in good health.

I am posting this in case any of you have issues I suggest that you google "fittness walking" and get started.

I don't know why I posted this, but maybe it will inspire some one that needs it.

Mike Chance in Iowa
11-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Glad to read that you took Madison along for your walk! We have a young dog in our lives and she turned 1 year old this summer. She and I go for daily walks at a fast pace and after 4 miles, one of us is still ready and able to race around for a few more miles. Going for walks with your dog is a great way to spend some time each day.

Lee DeRaud
11-16-2018, 6:46 PM
Going for walks with your dog is a great way to spend some time each day.True that.

Just wish the little furball didn't make quite as much of a frantic fuss at the sight of white socks or the smell of sunscreen: sometimes I have activities that require one or the other but don't include him. :)

John Goodin
11-16-2018, 11:06 PM
I started walking with the goal of going 1.5 miles in about 30 minutes for 30 days straight. It was miserable but I made it, then upped to my goal to 100 days. Then a year. I have done it every day for 440 days. The biggest benefit for me is not the physical but the mental. I either listen to music, woodworking podcasts or nothing. Political podcasts are prohibited. No matter how bad the day has gone, I always feel better when I am done.

Van Huskey
11-17-2018, 7:37 AM
While I cycle about 100 miles a week I get out for a walk with the dog most every day but take a really long one with her once or twice a week. I take my wife's grandfather, who is in a nursing home, out to play, of all things, disc golf. We usually go very early and mostly on weekdays so I can bring my Basset "Mudflap" with us. We go to a course that is very secluded away from the other areas of the park so I can let her off leash. While we walk about 3.5 miles total for the round she runs at least 10 miles through the woods only popping out to watch us putt and tee off. She normally sleeps until the next day once we get home. She enjoys disc golf more than we do!

lowell holmes
11-17-2018, 9:52 AM
Madison and I just returned from our walk. It is brisk cloudy morning in Galveston county Texas.
It is a great day to be alive.

Lee DeRaud
11-17-2018, 10:55 AM
...so I can bring my Basset "Mudflap" with us.Best. Dog. Name. Ever. :)

Lee Schierer
11-17-2018, 4:44 PM
Best. Dog. Name. Ever. :)

The best dog name is "Five Miles", then you can say you walked five miles every time you take your dog for a walk.

Graham Wintersgill
11-17-2018, 5:07 PM
We call our family dogs Soonah as in Soon As Shit On The Floor than go Outdiede

Graham

Rich Engelhardt
11-17-2018, 5:57 PM
Someday.......

For the time being,,,,It's probably better for me to stick with the water & avoid the dry land :D....

I tried the morning walk last Tuesday & I fall down go boom :(.

Tripped on an uneven section of sidewalk, skinned up my hands, bonked my snout on the concrete & bashed my head a bit. My glasses got twisted all cattywampus...

Mel Fulks
11-17-2018, 6:35 PM
Rich ,I felt the full pain of your injuries as I read. Your writing is too artful and graphic! Tone it down! And rest and heal
fast.

Van Huskey
11-18-2018, 12:44 AM
Best. Dog. Name. Ever. :)

It was all my wife, she decided she wanted to name a dog Mudflap (long story) and then decided it had to be a Basset since, well they have mudflaps. She is famous too, used by a US Senator to good effect in his election commercials. Go 13 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/Y4rAUp1SJ60?t=13

NOTE: this is NOT a political statement, my wife signed an NDA (ended at first airing) regarding the commercial and we had no idea who/what the commercial was for until it actually aired. All Mudflap cared about was she got paid and had a spending spree at Pet Smart.

I should mention how great walking is for maintaining and restoring health. My wife's grandfather had gotten to the point he could only walk about 100 yards before severe pain from peripheral vascular disease set in. He began walking regularly again after the surgery and 3 months later we got caught in a summer rainstorm about a mile from the car and I had to lengthen my stride to keep up with him and he is 4 inches shorter than me.

Walking and time with dogs are both excellent medicine, especially when taken together.

Patrick Walsh
11-18-2018, 6:52 AM
I can’t agree more with the last hung said...

“Both walking and dogs are great Medicine”

My grandmother is 80msomehting years old. Has walked 2-r miles a day her whole life. She is in better shape than any one of her seven children. All her peers are dying around her. She doesn’t really drink though and nor does she eat healthy or unhealthy she just does just about everything in moderation. Seems she is onto something.

Amazing how far a little common sense and discipline can go.

Tim Bueler
11-18-2018, 9:57 AM
Wife and I walk daily on our rural timberland. Walks include 1 dog and 3 cats. If we don't get moving soon enough in the morn it's the cats that raise a ruckus. Our old dog, 14 YO, passed a couple months ago. She would go to, up until the last few weeks. Quite a sight to turn around and see our menagerie all tagging along. They all go even when it snows, they just follow in our snowshoe tracks.

Patrick Walsh
11-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Wow that’s a beautiful image.

I also walk my dogs religiously. Sadly I lost one of my two about three weeks ago suddenly to cancer.

But man the picture you painted of snowshoeing and them all following behind makes my heart warm. The first 5-7 years of my two dogs lives we hiked year round 5-10 miles a day. Winter time I would cut the tracks for them with snow shoes also. What wonderful memories.

Wife and I walk daily on our rural timberland. Walks include 1 dog and 3 cats. If we don't get moving soon enough in the morn it's the cats that raise a ruckus. Our old dog, 14 YO, passed a couple months ago. She would go to, up until the last few weeks. Quite a sight to turn around and see our menagerie all tagging along. They all go even when it snows, they just follow in our snowshoe tracks.

Wade Lippman
11-18-2018, 4:25 PM
I just got back from Chloe's 3 mile walk. I tried to wait until it stopped snowing, but daylight was fading fast.
I would much rather have used my elliptical, but she goes nuts if she doesn't get her walk.

Years ago I took her predecessor skiing when we had 2 feet of fresh snow. She ran out ahead of me jumping from place to place like foxes do on nature shows. After about 20 jumps she decided to fall in behind me and take advantage of my tracks. We had to put her to sleep last year at 17, but she walked a mile the day before!

lowell holmes
11-18-2018, 4:49 PM
Burying your dog is a lot like burying one of your kids. Not really, but it is difficult.

Rich Engelhardt
11-19-2018, 12:10 PM
Burying your dog is a lot like burying one of your kids. Not really, but it is difficult.Having done both.......you are 100% correct & no "not really" about it.
Both tear your heart out, then fold spindle and mutilate it - before sticking in back in your chest, kicking you in the pants & telling you to get back to living.

Patrick Walsh
11-19-2018, 4:28 PM
I’ll second the dog part,

It’s brutal.

Watched my dog go into cardiac arrest five minutes from home after a one mile walk. Gave her mouth to mouth all the way to the emergency vet not knowing exactly what was going on. She was ice cold within five minutes.

It really put in perspective to me that when this thing is over it’s freaking over and you had better do with it exactly what you want before the choice is taken from you.

It hurts like hell. That was not even a month ago yet. My other dog is also still not the same. You can tell he is sad and lost.

lowell holmes
11-20-2018, 9:20 AM
Madison and I did 1.1 miles this morning. She is eager to go.

Rod Sheridan
11-21-2018, 9:41 AM
Madison and I just returned from our walk. It is brisk cloudy morning in Galveston county Texas.
It is a great day to be alive.

Very light snow this morning when the dog, cat and I went out for a walk.

Bryan Lisowski
11-21-2018, 10:11 AM
I have found that I am walking less since my lab has gotten older. He has arthritis and has a hard time going distance or even getting up the stairs. A couple weeks ago I let him off the leash to run around the front yard, he started weezing and after an emergency vet visit we found out he has a paralyzed part in his throat that makes him sound awful when he gets excited.

Lee DeRaud
11-21-2018, 10:20 AM
I have found that I am walking less since my lab has gotten older. He has arthritis and has a hard time going distance or even getting up the stairs. A couple weeks ago I let him off the leash to run around the front yard, he started weezing and after an emergency vet visit we found out he has a paralyzed part in his throat that makes him sound awful when he gets excited.There's a regular in the neighborhood park that's like that: owner described it as a "collapsed trachea", sounds like the worst snorer on the face of the planet. The meds he's on now seem to help unless, as you say, he gets excited.
(Just to add irony to the situation, the owner has asthma.)

lowell holmes
11-23-2018, 3:41 PM
We just did 1.08 miles. She is a happy pooch.

Tim Bueler
11-25-2018, 12:58 PM
7" fresh powder this morning. The whole fam came along. Did about 1-1/4 mile.

Sorry, don't know how to right side up pic.

Mike Chance in Iowa
11-25-2018, 5:32 PM

Thanks for sharing the photo Tim. It brought back great memories of my former pasture chores that gave the drivers a good laugh. Every day while I was walking around the pasture with a wheelbarrow and picking up horse piles, I would be followed by my dog, then the 3 full-size goats (momma & her two boys), then the 2 cats (brother & sister) and quite often our nearly 30 year old heavily swayback Quarter horse would follow since she had bonded with the goats. I can't count the number of times someone would pull over and say they couldn't help but smile while driving by and seeing all the critters following me and getting along. Happily they all lived long lives of over 15 years of age each, but sadly they have all passed on now due to old age.

Patrick Walsh
11-25-2018, 8:32 PM
Clearly you must love those animals and they must love you. You don’t get that without forming a serious bond with a animal.

Good on you. Animals are great.

Sorry, don't know how to right side up pic.

lowell holmes
12-04-2018, 10:31 AM
We did 1.34 miles this morning. It is 53 degrees, sunshine bright in Galveston County Texas this morning. Madison dog enjoys the walk as well. She walks ahead of me on a leash.

Richard McComas
12-24-2018, 12:08 AM
We have a nine year old female black lab named Madison. I have been taking her with me on my morning walk lately. This morning we did 3/4 mile.
She is resting on the living room floor now.

Several years ago, I had a heart attack and made a midnight ride to the ER. After getting out, I read a book on fitness walking. I walk 3/4 mile each morning.
I have fully recovered and am in good health.

I am posting this in case any of you have issues I suggest that you google "fittness walking" and get started.

I don't know why I posted this, but maybe it will inspire some one that needs it.

What pace do you walk at? Normal stride?

lowell holmes
12-24-2018, 10:27 AM
We go 3/4 mile in 30 minutes.
She walks at my left side on the road shoulder, head level, not pulling.
When I go get the collar harness and leash, she gets excited, comes to me with tail wagging eager to go.

Patrick Walsh
12-24-2018, 4:33 PM
A perfect Christmas Eve day with my two best friends..

lowell holmes
01-08-2019, 12:32 PM
Madison dog and I did 1.04 miles , 2,449 steps this morning. I think she enjoyed it because she is laying in the floor about six feet from my chair.

An interesting side light is that we sometimes walk on our street and one a block over. I did that last week and lost my cell phone with the pedometer app on it. It was missing for three days. A lady on the street found the phone, looked and found my daughter's phone number, called her and took the phone to my daughter (1/2 mile). My daughter returned the phone to me as I was about to buy a new one. If I can find out where the lady lives, I will surely thank her.

lowell holmes
01-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Madison and I did 1.1 miles on a sunny warm morning today. Life is good.