PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box (w/pics)

Rob Horton
11-29-2005, 2:50 PM
Well I'm not a super-woodworker like so many of you guys on here but I'm pretty content with how this project turned out. It was made from plans for a feature project in American Woodworker (I think from a couple of years back).

My wife actually "commissioned" this work from me I suppose you could say. She wanted me to make it for our sister-in-law. And since I wanted to make one for a friend at work for a Christmas gift she let me buy enough wood for two projects - cool!

The box is made from Honduras Mahogany, the accent piece in the lid is Spalted Maple, and the trays are made from Baltic Birch ply with Bolivian Rosewood sides.

All in all, it costs about $50 or so to make one of these little beauties in my area anyway (Warrenton, Mo).

For time, I spent about one afternoon cutting parts and machining wood. Then on the day before Thanksgiving, I started around 1pm and worked until 4:30am the next morning, fixing mistakes, and finishing the piece. All in all about two days of time.

And it was worth the lost sleep we we delivered it on Thanksgiving to her. Anyhow, I hope you all like it. Thanks for looking!

Dan Oliphant
11-29-2005, 3:07 PM
Good job, Rob. Looks like you will have a happy customer and a happy wife.

Mark Hulette
11-29-2005, 4:37 PM
Nice work, Rob! I like the HM and the spalted accent. What are the dimensions and how did you finish it?

Rob Horton
11-29-2005, 5:33 PM
Nice work, Rob! I like the HM and the spalted accent. What are the dimensions and how did you finish it?

Its about 9-1/2 by 6" at around 4-1/2 tall. The finish is just three coats of blonde shellac.

Jason Tuinstra
11-29-2005, 5:56 PM
Rob, it looks great. You can't go wrong with finger joints. I love jointery that is part of the overall beauty. The panel on the top gives the piece some nice interest as well. Good job all the way around.

Vaughn McMillan
11-29-2005, 6:27 PM
Looks real nice, Rob. Hat's off to you for getting 3 coats of shellac to look that nice. (I'm seriously shellac-challenged.) You gotta watch that working all night stuff, though. Being tired is a good way to have an accident. ;) (Of course, this is truly the pot calling the kettle black...I work late nearly every night, but no power tools after about 10:30.)

- Vaughn

John Buzzurro
11-29-2005, 6:28 PM
No need to be so humble - you did a fine job :)

Jim Dunn
11-29-2005, 8:23 PM
Rob, nice looking box!! You did the Missouri boys proud:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2005, 8:30 PM
Rob that is a excellent looking box.

Dominick Giarraputo
11-29-2005, 8:50 PM
Rob, excellent work! Shellac is hard enough to work on a large piece like a full size door. My hat's off to you for a great finish.

Makes me proud to be a Missourian!!http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Corey Hallagan
11-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Extremely nice box Rob! I like it. Add your self to the list of great box builders here at the Creek. I might make the list some day :)

Corey

Rob Horton
11-30-2005, 6:30 AM
Thanks for all the views and compliments everybody. You all sure know how to encourage a guy. Makes me proud to be a Creeker :)