PDA

View Full Version : What tools on your Black Friday wish list?

Dave Lehnert
11-14-2018, 5:40 PM
Any tools on your wish list this year?
Always a long list of tools I would like to have but don't need. But if I can find a deal there may be a spot in my shop.

My wish list.

1) Large bandsaw 17" or larger

2) Drum sander

3) Framing nailer for a deck project next spring.

If I did not already have a sliding compound miter Saw, the DeWalt 12" with portable stand for $399 would be hard to pass up.

Matthew Curtis
11-14-2018, 5:51 PM
A HVLP set-up.

Darcy Warner
11-14-2018, 6:01 PM
36" jointer.

Derek Meyer
11-14-2018, 7:13 PM
Not necessarily for Black Friday, but tops on my wish list is a Sawstop PCS. I've got a quote and am debating whether or not to pull the trigger. I would really like that saw...

Brian Lefort
11-14-2018, 7:20 PM
miterset and miterset segment jig

William Adams
11-14-2018, 8:48 PM
Filling out some odds and ends:

- protractor head --- I'd like to start doing more work with more interesting angles
- a Japanese ryoba hand saw
- some additional spokeshaves
- a good quality tap handle --- considering: http://northernmachininginc.com/?page_id=21
- a threadbox and tap --- I'd like to start making some things which use wooden threads
- Clifton 3-in-1 plane
- Veritas 40th Anniversary Dual Marking Gauge (wish I could justify wanting the stainless steel plane, but can't)
- Veritas Bar Gauge --- messed up a box recently 'cause the bottom was cut just a bit too large
- 3D Knitted Chisel Roll --- bought a set of matching chisels, and it's either the high-tech roll or make a box for them
- a small double square
- a good quality ratcheting screwdriver --- Williams, Snap-On, or Deen
- a shooting board and plane
- a set of rasps

Paul F Franklin
11-14-2018, 9:46 PM
There's a 24" jointer on Columbus OH Craigslist.....I don't have room for it and it looks a bit of a project....but it would be sweet.

Paul F Franklin
11-14-2018, 9:49 PM
Two things on my list....Domino and Laguna 18BX. Not expecting to see any Black Friday deals on either. Should have bought the bandsaw when they were 10% off a month or two ago...but had too much going on at the time to deal with it.

Darcy Warner
11-14-2018, 10:25 PM
There's a 24" jointer on Columbus OH Craigslist.....I don't have room for it and it looks a bit of a project....but it would be sweet.

Be great if it hadn't been hacked up and pillow blocks put on it. Some things are better left alone.

John Goodin
11-14-2018, 11:00 PM
The Rikon 10-324 band saw would be nice. Not as nice as the 10-326 but don't think I would use it enough to justify going over a grand for a band saw.
A decent 12 inch benchtop drill press. Home Depot has the Jet JWDP-12 for $345, I would get it but it is out of stock.

I have been looking on craigslist but where I live it is mostly low quality machines that have been abused with a passion. Low quality and abuse generally means it should be sold for scrap.

Matt Mattingley
11-14-2018, 11:45 PM
I am watching the online stuff. I would love to get A new XYZ DRO, 7 new insert (negative rake is 60°) Lathe tools and a couple low voltage foot control pedal for my demagnetizer and drill press. I would also like a Starrett 199 level.

Bill Dufour
11-14-2018, 11:50 PM
My Sears is shutting down but I asked and they will do black Friday. OSH is gone RIP. My Kmart is also closing down they may have some craftsman tools as well.
Bil lD.

Michael Costa
11-15-2018, 12:26 AM
All of them. Muahaha

Charlie Hinton
11-15-2018, 12:29 AM
The top three things on my Amazon tool gift ideas list...
Flexzilla retractable air hose
6" riser block for my bandsaw
Woodpeckers 6" x 4" square
There are a lot more tools on that list that will fit any gift giver's budget

Machines I would like to have, but would pretty much just be gratuitous spending....
SawStop 3hp
Band saw with a brake and >2hp motor, undecided about which one but I am pretty sure a PM 1500 would take care of any band saw dreams I am having

sean meltvedt
11-15-2018, 2:21 AM
Laguna Revo 1836 lathe👍

Jacob Mac
11-15-2018, 2:39 AM
If we are talking wish list

Laguna 1836 lathe
Nova dvr drill press
Drum sander
LN rabbet block plane

If we're talking reality, maybe the block plane. I need/want those tools for upcoming projects, but will acquire what I can when I can but only when the project demands it.

Matthew Curtis
11-15-2018, 3:08 AM
Two things on my list....Domino and Laguna 18BX. Not expecting to see any Black Friday deals on either. Should have bought the bandsaw when they were 10% off a month or two ago...but had too much going on at the time to deal with it.

I bought my 18bx last black Friday weekend for 10 Percent off. I bet the same will be this year as well

Matthew Curtis
11-15-2018, 3:11 AM
If we are talking wish list

Laguna 1836 lathe
Nova dvr drill press
Drum sander
LN rabbet block plane

If we're talking reality, maybe the block plane. I need/want those tools for upcoming projects, but will acquire what I can when I can but only when the project demands it.

I told my wife the block plane would be nice. I had to show her a pic. I think she kept the link for it on her phone, so maybe I will get lucky.

Zac wingert
11-15-2018, 3:59 AM
48” Jointer.

Jacob Mac
11-15-2018, 4:12 AM
I told my wife the block plane would be nice. I had to show her a pic. I think she kept the link for it on her phone, so maybe I will get lucky.

I've had the plane in the past, I just lost it in a move. For my money, it is the best block plane out there. Really versatile, well made etc.

Rich Engelhardt
11-15-2018, 5:20 AM
- - 18V/36V Makita tools are high on my list....I'm in love with my cordless Makita track saw :) & want more tools that use the same batteries.

- - A new flush handle for my stupid "water waster" Kohler toilet....God I hate that thing.....for a dime, I'd take a sledge hammer to it....

johnny means
11-15-2018, 6:12 AM
More VersaStack boxes, my new fascination.

John K Jordan
11-15-2018, 8:20 AM
My wish list.
1) Large bandsaw 17" or larger
2) Drum sander
3) Framing nailer for a deck project next spring.

Can't think of anything I need but if I did I'd order it online rather than brave the stores.

If you want, I'll could put your name and wishlist in my will in case I suddenly kick off, kick the bucket, expire, take the big sleep, push up roses, cash in my chips, cross the Jordan, fall in a ditch, give up the ghost, ... You'd have to drive down with a truck since the first two are bulky. I'll give my wife your profile picture so she doesn't give the shop key to the wrong person.

JKJ

Bob Falk
11-15-2018, 8:36 AM
If it helps you make your decision, I ran my finger into my Sawstop blade a few days ago. I got a pretty good nick (I was pushing an uneven cutting board a little too hard w/o a pushstick...dumb move)....any other saw and I would have been in the hospital with a torn up hand.

George Bokros
11-15-2018, 8:42 AM
A new flush handle for my stupid "water waster" Kohler toilet....God I hate that thing.....for a dime, I'd take a sledge hammer to it....

I'll give you a quarter. My Mansfield toilets are trash also, all three of them!

Dan Baginski
11-15-2018, 8:51 AM
Would like a saw stop table saw. I have an old Inca cabinet saw my dad gave me. Nice saw but small for some of the stuff I do.

Paul F Franklin
11-15-2018, 9:16 AM
I bought my 18bx last black Friday weekend for 10 Percent off. I bet the same will be this year as well

Matthew, thanks for the heads up; I will watch for a similar sale!

James Cheever
11-15-2018, 9:16 AM
On my wish list...

I want / hope to trade my straight knife 8" jointer and 15" planer for a spiral head 12" jointer and 20" planer. I guess we will see what Black Friday deals come down the pike.

Brian Henderson
11-15-2018, 11:56 AM
There's really nothing major that I need. I've been thinking about upgrading the lathe for a while but I have no idea what I'd want and honestly, I probably don't use it enough to make an upgrade worthwhile. I just decided to change out my router table router and I threw a couple of candidates on my Amazon list, but that's pretty low priority as well. Otherwise, everything I have does what I need it to do.

Tim M Tuttle
11-15-2018, 12:03 PM
I bought myself an early Black Friday gift last week. Lincoln was running a hell of a deal on their Power Mig 210. Regular price is $1433 and they were selling them for $999 but it expired last week so I snagged one.

It's possible I'll talk myself into a Domino.

I'll probably take a look and see if there are any good deals on some DeWalt tools I am wanting to acquire.

Peter Christensen
11-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Win a lottery with a big prize. The tools will sort themselves out after. ;)

Mitchell Ristine
11-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Supermax 19/38.

Aaron Rosenthal
11-15-2018, 12:52 PM
I don't do Black Friday unless the rumored iPad mini discount at Costco finds it's way above the Canadian border - but I WILL be hanging over my computer keyboard for a few cyber Monday sales.
Do I NEED any new planes? No. Panel saw? Maybe.
Mind you, I DO have a budget .......

Ben Rivel
11-15-2018, 1:26 PM
All I want to grab this year is that $1000 Lee Valley gift card for $800 if they do it again! Then its PM-11 planes and chisels next time they do free shipping!

Derek Meyer
11-15-2018, 3:19 PM
If it helps you make your decision, I ran my finger into my Sawstop blade a few days ago. I got a pretty good nick (I was pushing an uneven cutting board a little too hard w/o a pushstick...dumb move)....any other saw and I would have been in the hospital with a torn up hand.

Thanks for that Bob. My situation is more budget-based than feature or safety based right now. I work in a home center and we are a Sawstop reseller, and have one on display. I walk by it every day and stop to admire it.

Sawstop has a program for employees of resellers where they offer a 30% discount on the saws and accessories (limit one of each accessory per employee). Also, if I purchase one from them it can ride along with the store's next order for free, saving about $250 in shipping. If our tool purchaser puts an order in, I think I will have a saw coming soon.

My dream saw is a MiniMax ST4e, but I have neither the budget nor the space for it. One day, when my wife and I have her family property and I can build a proper shop (I'm in my 2 car garage now) I will have one. One day....

Bob Falk
11-15-2018, 6:57 PM
Good luck Derek....sounds like a great deal. I found my ICS on CL about 8-9 years ago (its a 2005).....with your discount its a no-brainier....assuming you can afford it, that is.

phil harold
11-15-2018, 9:19 PM
a self cleaning shop!

or Shopbot / Camaster

Martin Wasner
11-16-2018, 2:09 PM
A good night's sleep.

Mike Henderson
11-16-2018, 7:17 PM
I'll give you a quarter. My Mansfield toilets are trash also, all three of them!

Get a Toto toilet. They work.

Mike

Brian Hall
11-16-2018, 8:05 PM
Cabinet saw yes please

Van Huskey
11-16-2018, 8:20 PM
This site is a good place to keep track of all the Black Friday sales at least for general use tools. https://toolguyd.com/

They already have the HF, Lowes, HD and Sears BF flyers posted.

Cary Falk
11-16-2018, 9:17 PM
CNC. One can wish

Brian Hall
11-27-2018, 6:12 PM
Cabinet saw yes please
survived BF and cyber Monday with out buying a saw ,

I looked at 3 saws

Jet 3HP xactasaw with 30" fence
Grizzly G1023RL

Powermatic PM1000 30" fence

Frank Necaise
11-27-2018, 7:02 PM
Laguna - Laguna 14 bx Bandsaw 220 V 2.5 HP or bigger.

Frank Necaise
11-27-2018, 7:09 PM
This site is a good place to keep track of all the Black Friday sales at least for general use tools. https://toolguyd.com/

They already have the HF, Lowes, HD and Sears BF flyers posted.

Thanks for the link
T