PDA

View Full Version : Question on Incra tools

Tony Pisano
11-14-2018, 9:55 AM
I recieved a nice gift card and was considering a few new gadgets. I've always wondering about the Incra line of accessories. They seem to be pricey, but focus on accuracy. The reviews are good, but they are promotional, so it would be nice to hear from Creekers who use them. I was considering miter gage setup for table saw, or finger joint jig. Any users?

Prashun Patel
11-14-2018, 10:00 AM
I have the Router table fence/lift and the Miter SE gauge. I recommend both.

I have some of their other rules and t-measuring things. They're good. The Miter SE gauge is GREAT. The Gripper push block (with the drop down heel) is also very nice.

Nick Decker
11-14-2018, 10:21 AM
What Prashun said. I have two of their miter gauges, router lift, I-Box jig and various other doodads. All excellent, as well as their customer service.

Tony Pisano
11-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys. Now to decide. Maybe I'll kick in a little cash as well and get the miter gauge and I box jig

Jacques Gagnon
11-14-2018, 10:41 AM
...in line with Prashun and Nick: I have the 3000SE mitre gauge which provides accurate and repeatable settings, as well as t-square, protractor and marking rules. Totally satisfied.

ChrisA Edwards
11-14-2018, 11:24 AM
I'm a bit of a tool junkie and have to say I have many of the Incra tools. All have worked as advertised.

The only one that doesn't get used much is the small T square that allows you to draw parallel lines using one of their mechanical pencils. If works, but I find the pencil leads are so fragile and break too easily, that is usually takes me too many attempts to actually draw the line I want.

I have the full Incra LS_TS table fence system and router table on my SawStop. I have the 1000HD table saw miter gauge, the I-Box jig. All have worked well.

Ben Rivel
11-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Pretty much anything Incra makes is good. I have a lot of their tools. You really cant go wrong with them.

Mike Cutler
11-14-2018, 12:31 PM
I have a lot of their older products, mid 90's vintage. I have an Incra drill press table and fence, with stops, Miter 2000 with flip stops, and an assortment of T-rules, and marking rulers. I don't abuse tools, but I don't baby them either, and all of the Incra products have held up.
If you should ever have a chance to pick up an old Miter 2000, grab it. Kinda finicky to set up initially, but a bulletproof tank after that.
Incra makes nice stuff.

Frederick Skelly
11-14-2018, 8:50 PM
I LOVE their HD1000 Miter gauge and Express sled. Wonderful tools!
I dislike the two long rules I bought from them. I almost never reach for them. They are just too big and clunky. (But I still can't bring myself to sell them.)

Ken Platt
11-14-2018, 9:38 PM
I find their T-rules and bend rules absolutely indispensable, use them every time I'm in the shop. They make measurement accuracy and repeatability easy. I have ended up with one of each size (6", 12" 18").

I have their drill press table, and like it a lot. ALso have the 5000 miter sled. Very well made product, although when I bought it I thought I'd be doing a lot more angles. Turns out I mostly use it as just a cross cut sled, which is kind of a waste.

Ken

John Goodin
11-14-2018, 11:08 PM
I thought I lost my mind when I bought the Incra 1000SE about 10 years ago for somewhere around $130. Turns out to have been one of my best tool purchases ever. I have never had a regret.

Don Bullock
11-15-2018, 12:24 AM
I have an Incra Miter 5000 which included the 3000SE miter gauge and the Miter Express sled. It’s an outstanding combination that I use for all me crosscuts. Both my table saw and router table have Incra fences. The fence for my table saw was custom made to my specifications and they also created a special package for the router table. Incra is a fantastic company to work with and everything is Made in America.

Dan Kopack
11-15-2018, 8:41 AM
Love their accessories. I just purchased the box, had a question on setup and received a personal call. First rate!

Randy Heinemann
11-15-2018, 3:57 PM
Incra tools of all types are great; very accurate and precise. If you are looking for longer rules,squares, T-squares, or straight edges I’d suggest Woodpeckers instead. I own an Incra 1000HD miter sled. It is an excellent upgrade to a table saw.

Von Bickley
11-15-2018, 4:09 PM
I have the Incra I-Box and the Incra Miter Gauge 1000HD. Both are excellent tools. When I want to cut a perfect 45 degree angle, I get the 1000HD.

Tony Pisano
11-16-2018, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys. I got an email today saying my 1000HD and I box jig have shipped.

Charles Lent
11-17-2018, 9:10 AM
If you like to make boxes you are going to really appreciate the I-Box jig. Combine it with a Freud SBOX8 blade set, or similar set from another source, and your table saw and you will be able to quickly make perfect fitting box joints very easily. The jig can also be used on a router table, but I've had much better results using it on my Unisaw. Use a fresh position of it's sacrificial strip after getting the jig set up to cut your joint and just before you begin making the cut. If you make any adjustments in the jig or blade height, move the sacrificial strip to a fresh position too. The sacrificial strip is the key to getting clean splinter free box joints. When the bottom edge has been used up you can invert it and use the top edge too. Incra sells replacement sacrificial strips at about 3 / $10, but I bought a 2' X 4' piece of 1/4" MDF from Home Depot for about $5 and made about a dozen of them in about an hour using the original as a template, so I will likely not need any more sacrificial strips for years.

Many of my boxes are made from Baltic Birch plywood. Before getting the I-Box jig and Freud SBOX8 blade set I never had good luck cutting box joints in plywood and I was told by others that it couldn't be done. I can easily do it now with only very rarely a chip out.

Charley

Tony Pisano
11-22-2018, 9:49 AM
Wow, beautiful job.

Tony Pisano
11-22-2018, 9:53 AM
Got the miter guage set up today. I've never known what it's like to not have a little slop in the slot. I did a few test cuts, and love everything about the 1000HD. I cant wait to use it. If today weren't Thanksgiving, I would be in the shop all day. My I Box should arrive this weekend.