PDA

View Full Version : Non-stick frying pans

Todd Bender
11-13-2018, 6:26 AM
I need some recommendations on non-stick skillets.
We have a Calphalon square non-stick "griddle" pan purchased about 10 years ago. Unlike some cheaper products, the non-stick coating has not chipped off, but the pan is no longer non-stick. Additionally, the center of the pan is now convex. We recently found a 10" & 12" Calphalon skillet set for $50 and bought it, but this latest set doesn't look as promising even as the "griddle" pan.
We need another 10" skillet and would like an 8" as well, and would appreciate suggestions.

Housekeeping:
We're looking for performance & longevity at a reasonable price. Probably willing to pay +/- $150 or less for a 8" & 10" set. We may be willing to increase our budget for something that will last 20 years.
We have a glass top electric stove. Our next stove will be the same or possibly gas (propane).
We don't use metal utensils on our non-stick cookware and aren't in the habit of leaving empty pans on hot burners.

Curt Harms
11-13-2018, 7:00 AM
SWMBO is a bit of a pain sometimes, things have to match, be a certain color etc. etc. She bought a set of Paula Dean pans and they've been decent but one frequently used frying pan has a small patch of peeling teflon(?). I bought a Green Life pan at Walmart that so far - probably 18 - 24 mos. - that has held up well. We do use non-metallic utensils.

Jim Becker
11-13-2018, 9:15 AM
I've standardized on Zwilling (https://www.zwilling.com/us/) for my ceramic non-stick...the Spirit is the current version. I never buy this stuff in "sets"...I buy the pieces I want based on my actual needs. I will not buy any "non-stick" that isn't ceramic and PFOA/PFTE free...we have birds and other non-stick can be deadly to them. It's not exactly healthy for humans, either. I also use enameled cast iron (Staub from the same site) and love it. All the normal benefits of cast iron (the "original" non-stick) with a lot easier clean-up and for folks like you who have "glass" cooktops, no scratching. I try to buy stuff when on-sale or clearance for obvious reasons.

For skillets/fry pans, I have a 12", a 10" and two 8" pans. I also have a similar 9" pan that came with an induction hot plate. ALL of these get a lot of use since I'm the "chef". Those 8" and 9" pans get heavy use for a variety of things, from prep to preparing a single serving of fish for my younger daughter who does not eat other kinds of meat.

BTW, one thing you need to understand about ceramic non-stick is that if you do not clean it properly, it will stop being as non-stick as it can be. Like with any hot pan, sugars and starches can form a "varnish". Cleaning while it's still hot helps and gentle scrubbing with a little Barkeeper's helper and a mild pad will remove the "varnish". Avoid metal utensils when you can, too, to prolong life.

Stan Calow
11-13-2018, 9:21 AM
i thought some pans were made purposely with a slightly rounded bottom to better sit on gas stove burners. yes, flat is what you want for electric We have Bialetti pans that have held up well. i think they all eventually lose the non-stick, i'm guessing from dishwasher washing.

Jamie Buxton
11-13-2018, 9:38 AM
You might consider cast iron. They are durable -- I have two which are forty years old and still going strong. You can use metal utensils. There's no concerns about what the non-stick coating is doing to you. They also happen to be a quarter the price of non-stick pans. The only downside I know is that they want to be hand-washed.

Izzy Camire
11-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Todd,
I bought a couple of these for the wife a few years ago and they have stood up well. Both the non-stickness and the pans themselves.
https://www.swissdiamond.com/
Izzy

Dan Friedrichs
11-13-2018, 12:03 PM
If you haven't seen America's Test Kitchen on PBS, they do very good equipment reviews and comparisons. Their conclusions on non-stick skillets are that they should be treated as an expendable, rather than long-term, tool, as the coating will wear off, no matter what. They recommend the T-Fal products for a good value.

Wirecutter agrees:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-nonstick-pan/

Mel Fulks
11-13-2018, 12:44 PM
The Goodwill stores always have some used non stick ,slightly scratched pans for a dollar or two. Good for mixing body
putty and such.

Yonak Hawkins
11-13-2018, 12:53 PM
https://www.swissdiamond.com/
Izzy

Reckon why they would show burned food in their promotional photo . :) . ?

Todd Bender
11-13-2018, 1:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I knew I could count on folks who use as many tools as we woodworkers do to have thoughtful commentary on other tools as well.

Jamie - I will consider cast iron, thanks. I hadn't thought of it, but did when I read Jim's post about enameled cast iron.

Jim - thanks for the good info. Can I assume you prefer the enameled cast iron over raw?

Paul F Franklin
11-13-2018, 1:49 PM
I have both Calphalon and Cuisinart anodized non-stick pans that get heavy use, including some use in the oven (e.g. finishing off an omelet). Both brands have held up well although none of them are older than perhaps 5 or 6 years. I believe both brands have different "series" of products, for lack of a better term; I buy the higher grade (more expensive) series.

Regarding warping of the pans: washing a hot pan or immersing in water while hot is almost guaranteed to warp the pan the first time you do it, so let the pan cool before cleaning.
It's also a good idea to avoid heating a cold pan on high heat; start it off on medium and after a minute or so turn the burner up if needed. Rapid, uneven heating or cooling is what warps them.

If you are using oil or other fat, don't add it to the pan until it's hot. Heating butter or oil in a cold pan seems to contribute to the build up of "varnish" that Jim mentioned.

I use well seasoned cast iron when cooking outside on the grill, but since I do most of the cooking and cleanup in my house, the easier cleaning of non-stick wins out for the majority of indoor cooking.

Jim Becker
11-13-2018, 3:19 PM
T
Jamie - I will consider cast iron, thanks. I hadn't thought of it, but did when I read Jim's post about enameled cast iron.

Jim - thanks for the good info. Can I assume you prefer the enameled cast iron over raw?

Yes, I'm really enjoying the Staub enameled cast iron a lot for the reasons I stated. They are not inexpensive, but are also not unreasonable when bought on sale. I've done that and choose to "not be particular" on the enamel color to get the best deal on a given piece. I'm soon to buy a small "French Oven" from them for cooking rice range-top, as a matter of fact. I do have some "regular" cast iron, too, but I only roast veggies in them at this point. That said, the ceramic non-stick has been very good for me and I have not have any durability issues. I think that the "disposable" thing that mentioned doesn't have to apply to ceramic if it's maintained and properly cleaned as I also previously noted. I have two "GreenPan" version where the anodized exterior looks like poop, but the ceramic interior still looks almost like new. I did forget to mention that I keep one SS heavy bottom skillet for certain searing needs, but it also cleans easily if it's done while it's still hot/warm.

Yes...I have a "tool acquisition problem", even in the kitchen. LOL

Roger Feeley
11-13-2018, 3:23 PM
+1 on the cast iron. We do have one non-stick pan just for eggs. The thing about just about all non-stick coatings is that they can't take high heat very well. We use that one pan on low-medium heat just to make scrambled eggs or omelets. That's it. Everything else gets the cast iron. We also have a stainless electric skillet but that doesn't count.

Generally, I like pans I can scrub.

Brett Luna
11-13-2018, 7:14 PM
I love my All-Clad pans and I do have small selection of non-stick pans...10 and 12 inch fry pans, an omelet pan, and a round griddle pan. One thing to keep in mind: depending upon who you talk to, I've read that any PTFE-type (or similar) pan...even when well cared for...has a life time of 3-5 years in typical use. My fry pans are about due for replacement...or maybe overdue.

I'm also a big +1 with the cast iron recommendations. I have a couple of skillets and a couple of rectangular griddles, one of them being reserved for outdoor use on the grill. The Wife also has a couple of corn bread molds.

Jim Koepke
11-14-2018, 12:41 AM
You must not watch much TV if you haven't seen the ads for all the new sorts of 'non-stick' pans. We have bought a few and they seem to be adequate.

They have been available in the local supermarkets.

It took me awhile to get good at making an omelet. Scrambling eggs is easy. A pat of butter swirled around and melted in the pan seems to help.

My favorite for most cooking other than eggs is plain old cast iron. Properly seasoned it is as close to non-stick as one can get if it is used properly. For seasoning my cast iron, flaxseed oil is used. This is usually only found in health food stores. It is a polymerizing oil. After washing the pan, it is dried on the stove with medium heat. Then a paper towel with ~1/4 tsp of the oil is used to wipe all over the inside of the pan while still on the stove. Then the stove is turned off and the pan is left to cool. After a few times this leaves a smooth durable surface. Our pans are usually re-oiled after each cleaning.

Some folks will 'strip' cast iron by leaving it in the oven on high or through an oven cleaning cycle. Then, after cooling, they will give it a coat of flax seed oil and leave it in the oven at ~400º for an hour and repeat. This can be done in batches of pans if desired.

FYI - The name flaxseed oil is used in the USA for food grade linseed oil.

jtk

Van Huskey
11-14-2018, 6:32 AM
While I use All-Clad for everything (comes from my years as a line cook putting myself through school) my wife is part of the new wave of cast iron cooks. If you want long lasting, easy to clean, easy heat control pans enameled cast iron is the way to go, period. My wife's preference is Le Creuset and you simply can't go wrong with their pots and pans. Enameled cast iron has all the positives of raw CI but none of the negatives, the price is really the only negative.

Curt Harms
11-14-2018, 7:12 AM
http://www.lodgemfg.com/

They've been in business for over 100 years. Presumably they know something about cast iron cooking untensils.

Todd Bender
11-14-2018, 7:23 AM
I have seen the ads on TV as well as the products available at WallyWorld. I'd rather pay five times the price for a product that will last five times longer and, presumably, perform better. At the very least it will save four trips to the store.
I'm asking for advice here because I want the same kind of feedback/reviews we get here about power tools and shop equipment. I don't necessarily trust online reviews because too many now seem to be tied to "sweepstakes" or rewards and I don't know anything about the people writing them.

Thanks for the cast iron info, Jim, I'm leaning that direction.

Jim Becker
11-14-2018, 8:39 AM
I suggest you avoid the "cheap" versions of the non-stick, including ceramic, as advertised on TV and at places like Wally World. The pans and the coatings tend to be thin, do not perform as well and don't last like they should. When I was originally experimenting, I bought a few and I can tell you there is a "YUGE" difference when you go to a quality brand. Some names have multiple levels of product quality, too. GreenPan...a leader in the ceramic space...has cheap stuff sold in big-box retail and has much better products, too. The latter are worthy. The former are not. Just like with woodworking tools...you do get what you pay for. ;)

Alan Rutherford
11-14-2018, 10:37 AM
One more vote for cast iron. The 3 pieces I use all the time are at least 40-50 years old and the cooking surfaces are slick as glass. Much of the new stuff has a pebbled surface. I don't know if that's cheaper to make or is supposed to help, but I don't see how you can make it work. I used a sharp paint scraper to smooth a griddle and it was much better.

Seasoning is like a coating of paint. You have to have it and you can't let it get damaged. I don't baby my cast iron but I try not to be stupid either. I usually use soap on a sponge to clean them but am very careful about anything abrasive. I often use a chain-mail pot scrubber like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ringer-Original-Stainless-Cleaner-Patented/dp/B00FKBR1ZG.

Pre-seasoning is a pain but worth it. I seasoned some cast-iron waffle irons a few years ago by brushing with vegetable oil and heating them outside on a propane grill. Oil lightly, wipe off, heat a few hours, repeat until tired of doing it. Interesting thing was a bristle from the brush got stuck on the outside of one of them and is still there. It made it very clear that seasoning coats the metal as well as filling the pores. When I make waffles, I spray once with Pam but then can do a whole batch with no sticking.

Peter Kelly
11-14-2018, 1:13 PM
One downvote for cast iron skillets, can't stand them. Heavy, does not heat evenly and generally not a great idea for ceramic cooktops. I'd recommend trying out a plain steel pan instead: https://www.culinarycookware.com/bourgeat-round-frying-pan.html
Inexpensive, bulletproof and amazingly non-stick once seasoned. As long as you keep them seasoned and dry when not in use, they'll last forever.

It's also always good to have a non-stick pan around for delicate things like oily fish fillets that might leave some residual smells on a non coated pan. Wouldn't recommend anything other than All-Clad for that.

Steve Demuth
11-14-2018, 3:27 PM
They've been in business for over 100 years. Presumably they know something about cast iron cooking untensils.

I actually have some 100 year old cast iron skillets. Given the way they work, they probably still have some traces of "non-stick surface" that came from pigs my old man ate as pork chops in the 1920s. Still the best non-stick surface if you're cooking on gas heat, for my money. Essentially infinitely renewable and durable.

Lon Crosby
11-14-2018, 7:31 PM
Look at Cuisinart's CastLite Non-Stick Cast Iron Fry Pan. The advantages of cast iron without a lot of extra weight and a non-sick coating. Amazon has the best prices and all of the options.

Edwin Santos
11-14-2018, 8:32 PM
One more vote for cast iron. The 3 pieces I use all the time are at least 40-50 years old and the cooking surfaces are slick as glass. Much of the new stuff has a pebbled surface. I don't know if that's cheaper to make or is supposed to help, but I don't see how you can make it work. I used a sharp paint scraper to smooth a griddle and it was much better.

I don't know if it's true, but there is an urban legend that the pebbled surface is a by-product of cheapening the manufacturing process i.e. eliminating steps. Belief in this legend is why some aficionados seek out vintage cast iron pans that have the smoother surface. Griswold seems to be king. They stopped making them in 1939. Your pans are mere teenagers.

I use a new-ish Lodge round griddle for crepe making and being a woodworker, what I did was take a ROS to it with 60 grit, then 80 grit silicon carbide paper and it made the surface pretty smooth. I think you could just keep going to get to glass smooth.
Another tip is to clean cast iron pans when needed with a teaspoon of salt and a good rubbing. The salt works like a mild abrasive to clean the pan which you then simply wipe off with a dry paper towel or cloth. No detergent ever. Better not to use water unless absolutely necessary.

A lot of professional chefs are big fans of the classic French black steel pans. Look into DeBuyer. They are not particularly expensive and take seasoning just like cast iron, and will last a lifetime just like cast iron. These pans take some knowledge and technique though. The non-stick performance is heavily influenced by knowing how to adjust heat properly. Too high will stick, too low will stick. Trying to turn the food prematurely or just incessantly fiddle with it, will stick. The French seem to know what they are doing.

Jim Becker
11-15-2018, 8:58 AM
Edwin, it's interesting that you mentioned the DeBuyer black steel pans. I actually considered trying them awhile back, but never got around to it. That said, since I've been cooking "seriously" for a few years now, a big part of my own education has revolved around using heat properly, no matter what the cooking surface, so I'm glad you also mentioned that. This is particularly important with delicate things like fish which can be utterly destroyed if they stick. At this point, I know exactly where my gas needs to be for the burner on my range that I typically cook my protein on has to be set for various types of food and it's made a big difference in the end result. (And yes, for folks who caught the position reference...every burner on any cooktop, regardless of how basic or how high-end it is, will have slight differences in performance from its neighbor(s))

Frank Pratt
11-15-2018, 9:46 AM
There's a good article (https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-clean-maintain-cast-iron-pan-skillet-cookware.html) on the Serious Eats website regarding cast iron cookware. They've done some serious research & testing of cleaning & maintenance methods. Turns out the "no detergent" thing is just a myth. The baked on oil is so polymerized that the detergent has no effect. I use a bit of dish soap & hot water when cleaning my cast iron pan & it hasn't hurt the seasoning at all.

As for non-stick pans, I only buy fairly inexpensive stuff cause it's just going to have to be replaced in a few years.

Jim Becker
11-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Frank, I also use a tiny bit of detergent to insure that any "new" grease is removed from my two non-enameled cast iron pieces after use so it doesn't get rancid. That's especially important for the small grill pan if it was inadvertently used for a meat protein...I normally reserve that for veggies only and use the larger enameled version for meats, but sometimes needs are what they are. I've had no issue with the seasoning being affected as it's pretty much "varnish" at this point.

Mike Null
11-15-2018, 1:59 PM
Take a hard look at All Clad pans. They are of great quality and won't need replacing.

Unless you are prepared for some heavy lifting and some cleaning issues avoid cast iron. I would like an uncoated old fashioned pan but my wife won't stand for it and she does most of the cooking.

Bill Dufour
11-15-2018, 2:25 PM
The metal working site I frequent had along thread go on for weeks about how to season cooking ware. Easy enough in an oven as long as it has handles that can stand the heat.
My wife doe snot like CI any more she has hand issues and is worried about dropping them on her toes. Do the make solid copper pans that seems like a good idea for even heating.
Bil lD.

Frank Pratt
11-15-2018, 3:01 PM
Take a hard look at All Clad pans. They are of great quality and won't need replacing.

Unless you are prepared for some heavy lifting and some cleaning issues avoid cast iron. I would like an uncoated old fashioned pan but my wife won't stand for it and she does most of the cooking.

Yes, cast is heavy. But I like it because you can get it screaming hot & it will still maintain it's low stick properties. I wouldn't do that with a teflon pan. Cleaning a seasoned CI pan is actually easier than a steel or aluminum pan.

Mike Chance in Iowa
11-15-2018, 3:21 PM
You'll find loads of great tips from this Cast Iron site. http://www.castironcollector.com

I have stripped and seasoned several Griswolds and Lodge items now via their instructions for the Lye method. The newer Lodge has texture on the bottom while the old Griswolds are smooth. When seasoned well, all of them are non-stick and my LOML cooks breakfast eggs in the textured Lodge and they don't stick.

When it comes to cleaning CI, I don't believe the myth about not washing them with dish soap. I do it every day with the small Griswold and it does not ruin the seasoning. We found washing/rinsing CI could cause dish sponges to become smelly and I have been using this great chain mail scrubber for several years now and love it. It does not scratch the Griswolds. Here is a link to Amazon http://a.co/d/8iXaMX8 (http://a.co/d/8iXaMX8)

We just inherited a vintage Le Creuset skillet and have been told this will become our favorite pan. I haven't looked up care & maintenance yet, but it looks like a very nice enameled CI skillet.

Peter Kelly
11-15-2018, 10:02 PM
A lot of professional chefs are big fans of the classic French black steel pans. Look into DeBuyer. They are not particularly expensive and take seasoning just like cast iron, and will last a lifetime just like cast iron.The DeBuyer Mineral pans have this plastic-y coating on the handles that smokes if you put them in the oven. Better to go with either the less expensive plain steel ones or Bourgeat steel pans.

Ted Calver
11-15-2018, 10:24 PM
I've had my eye on cast iron from this relatively new company. I like their story and as soon as I have some spare change I'm going to spring for one of their 10" pans.
https://smitheyironware.com/our-story/

Edwin Santos
11-16-2018, 1:34 AM
I've had my eye on cast iron from this relatively new company. I like their story and as soon as I have some spare change I'm going to spring for one of their 10" pans.

Very cool, thanks for sharing that!

Lee DeRaud
11-19-2018, 10:24 PM
I've standardized on Zwilling (https://www.zwilling.com/us/) for my ceramic non-stick...the Spirit is the current version.I was looking at these and noticed they have metal handles, which I've never used. How hot do the handles get in normal stove-top use? I'm not thrilled with the idea of needing to use potholders/mitts...I'm clumsy enough in the kitchen as it is.

Yonak Hawkins
11-19-2018, 10:30 PM
I'm not thrilled with the idea of needing to use potholders/mitts....

It seems to me to be a choice between having to use pot holders or not being able to put it in the oven.

Lee DeRaud
11-19-2018, 11:09 PM
It seems to me to be a choice between having to use pot holders or not being able to put it in the oven.Understood...I think I've done that twice in my whole life.

Edwin Santos
11-20-2018, 2:32 AM

Thanks in part to this thread, I've come to learn there is no shortage of USA cast iron cookware manufacturers. In addition to the above here are a few:
http://www.stargazercastiron.com/
https://finexusa.com/
https://fieldcompany.com/

Jim Becker
11-20-2018, 8:36 AM
I was looking at these and noticed they have metal handles, which I've never used. How hot do the handles get in normal stove-top use? I'm not thrilled with the idea of needing to use potholders/mitts...I'm clumsy enough in the kitchen as it is.
Metal handles are not an issue if they are designed correctly which involves the form near the pan and the connection. The only time I ever use pot holders with my sauce pans is when I've been boiling something like potatoes in the 4 qt. The short, secondary handle needs the pot holder for sure; the longer one sometimes if I was using truly high heat, and always if I'm dumping out boiling water through a gap between the lid and the pot for safety anyway. Generally, however, the handles do not get hot under normal circumstances. For the skillets, the metal handles are an advantage as I do a lot of searing on top of the range and then finishing in the oven. I have a few silicone handle covers that I slip on after the pan comes out of the oven to help (usually) avoid some very loud bad words... ;)

Ted Calver
11-20-2018, 9:17 AM
...there is no shortage of USA cast iron cookware manufacturers...
Thanks for the list, Edwin. We cycle through Teflon/ceramic pans every few years and the missus just bought two new ceramic pans. Even with improvements in the coating process ceramic/Teflon just can't stand the prolonged abuse in our kitchen. That makes it easier to justify spending extra dollars on something that will last and small American companies making quality products are worthy of support if you can swing the extra cost. Here's another one:
https://butterpatindustries.com/collections/frontpage

Jim Becker
11-20-2018, 7:48 PM
Lee, here's a photo of what I was speaking about relative to handle design...this general type doesn't get hot unless you are using way too much fire or put them in the oven. This is a 3 qt sauce pan for size reference.

Lee DeRaud
11-20-2018, 8:12 PM
Lee, here's a photo of what I was speaking about relative to handle design...this general type doesn't get hot unless you are using way too much fire or put them in the oven. This is a 3 qt sauce pan for size reference.Thanks, got it. I'm getting responses (elsewhere, for unspecified brands) ranging from "barely warm" to "burned my hand taking it out of the box". :)

Jim Becker
11-21-2018, 8:29 AM
Thanks, got it. I'm getting responses (elsewhere, for unspecified brands) ranging from "barely warm" to "burned my hand taking it out of the box". :)

LOL. I can appreciate that. However, I have 18K BTU from my burners and the only time I've burnt myself was when I inadvertently forgot that a pan was in a 400º oven and grabbed the handle. (DON'T DO THAT!!!!) So range-top really hasn't been an issue other than what I noted previously which shouldn't be surprising for any kind of pan.