PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Thickness Planer

marlin adams
11-12-2018, 4:23 PM
I been needing a thickness planer here and there on some of my projects and being on a fix income and convincing the wife well it seems it would have been a long wait lol. Well now I am getting one and the wife approved it after she found out what I can do with it especially when it comes to some projects she wanted me to do for her :).

After reviewing cost and what others had said about the different thickness planers out there I am getting the Wen 6552T model. Several factors led to that decision, one the reviews so many good ones on it, it having 3 blades and the dust collection set-up and the price.

Will give a review after using it for awhile. I purchase it from Home Depot online.

Mark Rainey
11-12-2018, 7:32 PM
Save your receipt! Less than 2 years ago I jumped at a WEN lunchbox planer from Wal-Mart. It worked very well until I fed it some bigger sticks. It seemed to choke & die. I returned it & got the Dewalt 735. It has held up well, although it is still a lightweight. If you treat it kindly & avoid heavy use it may serve you well. Let us know how it holds up and save your receipt

Randy Heinemann
11-12-2018, 8:33 PM
Doubt there is any better bench top planer than the Dewalt 735. Mine has lasted over 10 years (in hobby use but still a long time). I'm sure it will be more money than the Wen, but I think it was worth every penny to me.

Van Huskey
11-12-2018, 8:49 PM
Sometimes the budget is more important than the best. The Dewalt 735 is certainly the king of lunchbox planers but the Wen reviews well within its capabilities.

Frederick Skelly
11-12-2018, 8:55 PM
Good for you - a new tool is always nice. Look forward to readong your review!

Gary Ragatz
11-12-2018, 9:50 PM
Good for you - a new tool is always nice. Look forward to readong your review!

Ditto that. I thought hard about a Wen planer - not sure if it was the same model - but ended up with a DeWalt 734 (not the 735 that always gets raves). I've been pleased with the DeWalt, but always curious about what I passed up.

I did buy a Wen drill press, which I'm happy with - and I'll give their customer service a shout-out. The DP showed up missing the handle for the speed adjustment. I gave their 800 number a call, and 15 minutes later I had the part ordered. Showed up in the mail three days later, and I was up and running.

marlin adams
11-12-2018, 10:57 PM
Now Wen did have a 12.5 out there and basically there was alot more bad reviews than good ones plus everyone seems to not carry that one anymore.

Scott Braun
11-13-2018, 7:29 AM
Good for you, a bench top planer will do you lots of good. I have a Delta 12 1/2 incher that has served me well for going on 20 years now. I've got mine in the center of a 20 foot bench set up , makes it easy to feed it and take off. Enjoy your new toy!

Michelle Rich
11-13-2018, 12:42 PM
dew​alt 735 or look into the cutech line. they have some great carbide head planers. I bought one recently and the finish is extraordinary.

marlin adams
11-13-2018, 4:25 PM
Believe me :) I would have bought the dewalt 13 inch if I could afford it but there was some cheaper than the wen but with iffy reviews. My friend down in Terrel Tx has the same wen I bought and never had any problems and the finish is pretty good. he has his for over a year.