PDA

View Full Version : Still another thought

Rich Stewart
11-29-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm getting a little bizarre here i guess but do you think it would be possible to mix human ashes with something to make it hard, make it into a block, and then turn an object out of it? I dont have any ashes I'm looking to get rid of but I started thinking about it when I read about the guy that ran onto the football field to spread his mothers ashes. Some people might be willing to pay some good money to get a relative made into something like a vase or candlestick for the mantle. Any thoughts? Other than this Rich guy must be a total loon.

Carole Valentine
11-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Um, Rich, aren't you suppose to be working or something? ;)I think you may have waay too much time on your hands! :D To answer your bizzare question, I suppose you could mix ashes with epoxy.

Andy Hoyt
11-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Sure it'll work, but....

Don't think you'll have any trouble with others trying to corner your market.

Would you really want those kind of shavings flying around your new shed/shop, up your nose, etc etc.

Mark Cothren
11-29-2005, 1:18 PM
Now THAT, my friend, is bizarre...:eek:

Loy Hawes
11-29-2005, 1:23 PM
Have the ashes turned into diamonds. Then incorporate that into your work. A diamond studded ornament perhaps?

http://www.lifegem.com/

Rich Stewart
11-29-2005, 1:57 PM
Well, weirder things have been done I'm sure.

Yeah, you would definately need a special setup as far as dust collection. Brrrrrrr. Reminds me of the time when I worked at the mortuary and the lady dumped the ashes from the plane before we said "go". Went all over everybody. In the bosses MOUTH.

John Hart
11-29-2005, 3:09 PM
This is a really nice thread. I think I'll go now.:D

Bill Stevener
11-29-2005, 3:31 PM
I left before you got hear:eek:

John Shuk
11-29-2005, 3:48 PM
Why not? There are some pretty good epoxies out there.

Bob Noles
11-29-2005, 4:00 PM
Do I still want to be a wood turner? :eek: :eek: :eek:

John Hart
11-29-2005, 4:05 PM
Bob.....Run away as fast as you can

Travis Stinson
11-29-2005, 6:43 PM
Do I still want to be a wood turner? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Keyword being "WOOD"!!!!!;)

John Bailey
11-29-2005, 7:31 PM
I was warned about you guys on the Turner's Forum. (bye, bye, poof...!)

John

Andy Hoyt
11-29-2005, 7:56 PM
Yup. We be a sick bunch. But we're real good at it.:D

Joe Judge
11-30-2005, 4:49 PM
I have also thought about this in the past :-)
(ok, so I got too much free time)

My wife and I talked of mixing our ashes into a nice pottery glaze and/or into a pottery piece. A typical ash glaze has a lower melting point, and so flows a bit before the firing is done. Ash glazes can look very nice.

Apart from the pottery path, and now the woodturning path.
Consider ashes as a valuable material & that you don't want them turned off too much.

Look to see how they make pen blanks from birdseed, snake skins, etc.

Maybe a thick ash/epoxy blank can be made ... and then clear acrylic/epoxy then added to build out the diameter or width. This way, the clear section get more turned away than the ash material.

Also, consider the ashes often contain bits of bone or materials that withstood the heat. And, they're gray, dark, ugly. A quick filtering of the ashes (put the lumps INSIDE the vase :-) and a bit of tinting might make it look a lot better.

-- creepy joe

Carole Valentine
11-30-2005, 6:13 PM
"bits of bone"..."the lumps"...sheesh, you guys are making me queasy! :eek: Bye, bye!