PDA

View Full Version : Another question

Rich Stewart
11-29-2005, 11:03 AM
I just got one of them buffing systems with the tripoli, White diamond, and carnuba wax. The tripoli goes on the wheel pretty good but the white diamond and carnuba don't seem to take to the buffing wheels very good. I am getting less than the desired finish from it and I need to know what I am doing wrong. Should they be warmed up first? Held on the buff longer? Maybe somebody could run the whole process down to me.

Thanks a bunch.

Carole Valentine
11-29-2005, 12:19 PM
All of these compounds take a very light touch - just a few seconds on the buff. If you overload the buffs, you get a goopy mess. You should hardly be able to even see the tripoli on the buff, you can't see the white diamond at all (don't use this one on dark woods) and you can just barely see the carnuba. You should use a faster speed (don't know what I use - probably around 2400) and a fairly light touch but with a firm grip. Youwould be surprised how quick a buff can slam a piece out of your hands and across the room! Of course the results of buffing are dependent on the quality of the finish you are buffing. Don't be impatient...give your oil or whatever finish you are using plenty of time to cure. I generally wait two weeks to buff an oil finish and an a week or more to buff a lacquer finish. If it is cold or humid, I wait longer.

Rich Stewart
11-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Ah, the waiting. The thing I am worst at. I am going to have to really work at this being patient thing. Drying wood, waiting for finishes to cure. The waiting for finishes to cure i think I can handle. The waiting YEARS for wood to dry is beyond me. Thank goodness for ebay.

Travis Stinson
11-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Actually, you can use the white diamond compound on dark woods. You just have to make sure the pores are filled. I wet sand Walnut with Danish oil to makes a slurry, then rub it into the grain. After it cures, no problems with the white diamond getting in the pores.;)

Bill Stevener
11-29-2005, 3:39 PM
Hi again Rich,
This should answer some of your questions about buffing.

http://www.woodcraft.com/videos.aspx

Select Beall Buff System, and enjoy.

If you are still at a loss call J.R. at 1-800-331-4718, he will be more than happy to chat and answer any question you may have --- on his products.;)

Hope this helps you out some.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Carole Valentine
11-29-2005, 8:29 PM
Yep, you're right Travis. You can use it if you fill the pores. I always seem to have some little spot where they are not completely filled though, and that danged white diamond will show that spot every time! LOL