PDA

View Full Version : Genetic engineering thought

Bill Jobe
11-09-2018, 6:29 PM
With the sudden burst of understanding in the field of genetics, the possibilities are limited only by the imaginations of the world's greatest minds. One possible benefit I see is skin that is more fire and uv resistant.

Stan Calow
11-10-2018, 12:24 PM
I am pretty sure that they could engineer turf grass that would only grow 3 inches tall, never requiring mowing. But the mower people have suppressed this invention.

Jim Koepke
11-10-2018, 3:08 PM
How about a species of tree with wood displaying a beautiful chatoyance yet easy to plane.

jtk

Bill Dufour
11-10-2018, 4:29 PM
I remember reading as a kid that they were developing square trunk tress.

roger wiegand
11-11-2018, 8:51 AM
I am pretty sure that they could engineer turf grass that would only grow 3 inches tall, never requiring mowing. But the mower people have suppressed this invention.

Here are a number of non-repressed no-mow alternatives: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grass-not-require-mowing-52979.html

Stan Calow
11-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Yes I have a couple of patches of buffalo grass in my yard - they dont look like the common lawn varieties around here. Which is why I thought they could splice the short-growing genes from those varieties into bluegrass/fescue/rye varieties to get the perfect look and low maintenance.

Bill Dufour
11-14-2018, 12:51 PM
I like Lippia grass but even here it freezes back in winter. Does well in the san francisco bay area

roger wiegand
11-14-2018, 9:16 PM
Yes I have a couple of patches of buffalo grass in my yard - they dont look like the common lawn varieties around here. Which is why I thought they could splice the short-growing genes from those varieties into bluegrass/fescue/rye varieties to get the perfect look and low maintenance.

The company I used to work for tried that, it basically worked fine but the grass grew to 4- 4-1/2" which was deemed to be too tall for the consumer market. I think some of those varieties are being employed in roadside plantings and other applications where having it a little bit shaggy is OK. They never managed to make a variety that would stall out around 3".

Perry Hilbert Jr
11-14-2018, 10:16 PM
Nope you guys are all wet. Scientists need to cross broccoli with a ten point buck. Once broccoli grew antlers and ran like hell, vegetarians could enjoy hunting too.

Seriously, back in the 1970's there was a show on British television about gene splicing, and what it could do. A scientist suggested putting the gene for size from an elephant into a sheep. The moderator looked at him and said, really, that's all we bloody need is a uncontrollable sheep the size of a damn cow. I remeber watching it