PDA

View Full Version : General rants and ravings about my shop...

Jim Hinze
11-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm working on some larger projects now for folks I know at work, primarly right now it's a dresser and Armoir. While working on these 2 projects I have discovered a number of deficiencies!

1. I need a bench. Why the heck did I wait so long to build it. The lumber has been in the rack for nearly a year now. I was hand planing some hardwood caps I put on the ply pannels for the dresser and my outfeed table was racking so bad I thought we were having an earthquake!!

2. I need an assembly table!!! My outfeed table just 'aint cutting it anymore! These pieces are too big!!! I think it's torsion box time (or perhaps 2 solid core doors butted up together on a shop made stand.

3. I NEED MORE STORAGE! Hand tool cabinets, tool chests, something... anything. Time to get to work...

4. Even though I just re-ran all my DC Ducting I need a cyclone. My single stage isn't quite good enough anymore... it's an older JET DC1900A and the chips are being sucked up into the upper filter bag rather than staying put in the lower collection bag. There is no neutral vane or material where the bags connect like on the HF DC. I think that's part of the problem.... Or perhaps I have too much SP and should have cartridge filters on top.... at any rate, I'm not happy with my current DC solution.

5. I don't have time to build #'ers 1 through 3... but I have to... starting this weekend.

Thanks for letting me vent...

Frank Pellow
11-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey, thats not such a long list. Two years ago this time, my shop was so bad that I had to build a whole new shop. :)

I am possitive that building 1 through 3 will save you time in the long run. It will also mean that you are happier and that the quality of your work will rise. I think that the two solid core doors on horses is a good and quick solution to 2.

And, you should get to 4 ASAP, in order to protect your health and give you a long ong time to reap the benefits of 1 through 3.

Mike Cutler
11-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Jim. I would say that you are well on your way to the "Woodshop by Natural Progression" method of upgrading.

Have fun, and try not to swear too much.;)

Steve Clardy
11-29-2005, 12:03 PM
My shop updates, new benches, rearranging, etc. is always an ongoing affair.

Frank Pellow
11-29-2005, 12:19 PM
My shop updates, new benches, rearranging, etc. is always an ongoing affair.
Right you are Steve. Even though my shop is new, that is also the case for me.

Jim Hinze
11-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys, I just needed to vent a bit... Gonna start on the assy table and bench this weekend, hopefully will make some good progress.

Dave Bonde
11-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey Jim - I looked like a one winged bird in my shop last night - IT IS WAY OUT OF CONTROL - I built a new storage cabinet last weekend and spent the first hour last night circling my shop just trying to figure out where to start:confused: . I finally did and made some progress but I have a long way to go - good luck to you. Dave

Paul Canaris
11-29-2005, 4:06 PM
I'm working on some larger projects now for folks I know at work, primarly right now it's a dresser and Armoir. While working on these 2 projects I have discovered a number of deficiencies!

3. I NEED MORE STORAGE! Hand tool cabinets, tool chests, something... anything. Time to get to work...

Thanks for letting me vent...

In my last shop, the tool storage cabinets were an old set of Kitchen Cabinets discarded from my mom's house. Not FWW, but they worked just fine.

tod evans
11-29-2005, 4:11 PM
sams club has nice stainless steel mechanics boxes for pennies on the dollar when compared to the name brands. and they come with wheels. .02 tod

Steve Clardy
11-29-2005, 7:52 PM
Right you are Steve. Even though my shop is new, that is also the case for me.

Yep. I spent half a day here while back unloading and moving and loading back up some shelving, for a spot for my Hempel CH-12 Semi copy lathe. [ weights about 3000#] ugh.

Moving the lathe as I need to expand my overgrown plywood rack, and have it closer to the table saw. Plywood rack is now 20' from my saw.
Getting older, so I need things closer, like my eyes:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :)

After I get the lathe moved, then I have to re-run new wiring [3phase] to it, and another dust collector pipe run.
Always something seems like.:)

John Kubik
12-03-2005, 5:53 PM
Hello to all. I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed reading your rants. Let me ease your mind about getting organized. I can relate with everything you have said and probably everyone else can too. If your serious ( and it sounds like you are) your shop / work space will ALWAYS be a work in progress, and it should be. Good luck and enjoy your shop-improving time.

John Kubik