PDA

View Full Version : Advice RE: Incra miter gauges

jeremy romoser
11-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Set up my table saw a couple weeks ago and like everything about it except the miter gauge.

Looking at the Incra choices. Would y'all go with the Incra 5000 (which consists of the 3000SE plus a three-part sled) or save a few dollars buying the 3000SE and building your own sled?

Or none of the above. If none, what do you suggest?

Saw is the Sawstop PCS 3hp, with 52" rails

Thanks for your time,

Carl Beckett
11-09-2018, 1:08 PM
I used an incra 1000 for years. And had a home made crosscut sled for sled work, which was relatively large in comparison to the 5000. I liked them both and the combo handled everything I needed.

If I were doing it all over again... I would do the same.

Ed Pollock
11-09-2018, 1:12 PM
I went with the 5000 sled because it allows me to use a sled while keeping my SharkGuard installed. I like it a lot, but it is large and heavy.

I think the 5000 sled paired with a smaller simple accurate miter gauge would be ideal, and plan to pickup a on from Incra at some point.

Dave Cav
11-09-2018, 1:46 PM
Incra 1000 and make my own sled/jigs.

Although I did get an iBox and really like it.

Frederick Skelly
11-09-2018, 5:49 PM
Ive got an Incra 1000HD and the Incra Miter Express sled (not the 5000). I like the way they work together so much that I recycled my shop-made sled.

ChrisA Edwards
11-09-2018, 6:28 PM
I have the Incra 1000HD and built my own sled. I have the 36" SawStop, which does limit doing repeatable lengths a little, so I bought the fence upgrade from Inca, to use with the 1000HD which now allows me repeatable stops in the 27"=49" range.

George Bokros
11-09-2018, 6:28 PM
Ive got an Incra 1000HD and the Incra Miter Express sled (not the 5000). I like the way they work together so much that I recycled my shop-made sled.

I have this also. Works great.

Larry Frank
11-09-2018, 7:49 PM
I have the 1000SE and very happy with it. A word of caution concerning it and the Sawstop. There have been a few of us who have had close encounters and set off the brake.

Cary Falk
11-09-2018, 8:17 PM

This is my situation as well. I also have a JessEm Mast-R-Slide sliding table for larger stuff as well.

Nick Decker
11-09-2018, 9:16 PM
I have the 1000SE and very happy with it. A word of caution concerning it and the Sawstop. There have been a few of us who have had close encounters and set off the brake.

Guilty.

(Of not enough characters, as well.)

jeremy romoser
11-09-2018, 9:53 PM
So how do you prevent it? Just use bypass mode anytime I would use the Incra? Not sure I like that option?

jeremy romoser
11-09-2018, 9:54 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. I'll look into each option mentioned before buying something.

glenn bradley
11-09-2018, 10:23 PM
Just for a lower dollar contribution. I use a V-27 (about $35 new back when I bought) on the Saw Stop and on the router table (1 for each). I added an Incra extrusion to each (these were also reasonable back when dinosaurs ruled the earth). These along with a sleds have met all my needs for many years. It just isn't all that often that I need super accuracy at 26.4 degrees :).

This is the difference in what you think you need and what you end up using. I have sent a CMS and a biscuit joiner down the road and I have made other purchases that I "had" to have. Reality in my shop proved me wrong a some things. A fairly basic router table and relatively basic Incra miter gauges were a win.

Nick Decker
11-10-2018, 5:48 AM
So how do you prevent it? Just use bypass mode anytime I would use the Incra? Not sure I like that option?

It's not specific to Incra gauges, any metal one will do. For me, it had to do with taking the miter gauge out of the "sled" to use it for something else. I readjusted the position of the aluminum fence to accomodate the different tool, then forgot to adjust it back for the SawStop. Miter fence contacted blade, bingo, rookie mistake. I now have a dedicated miter gauge to accomodate each tool, and my dumbassedness.

Larry Frank
11-10-2018, 7:17 AM
I had my problem when I turned the miter gauge to 45 degrees and made a cut. When I turned it back, I did not adjust it carefully. Dumb mistake and the blade and brake mounted on a board next to my saw as a vivid reminder.

Just have to be careful.

Randy Heinemann
11-10-2018, 8:50 AM
I have the 1000HD combo and think it works great (but I haven't owned it for very long). Whether you go with one of Incra's combos for a sled or make your own, I don't think you can beat Incra's miter gauges. However, I don't see any great advantage to any miter gauge above the 1000HD model. Seems like that does even more than most people need. They are all extremely accurate once set up and squared.

Charles Lent
11-10-2018, 9:25 AM
Another option to consider are the MiterSet gauges. https://miterset.myshopify.com/collections/miterset-package-set One of these gauges will let you set your present miter gauge to any angle in 1/2 degree increments very accurately. The other is for making segmented circles. It will set your miter gauge to the angle needed based on the number of segments in the circle that you want to cut. For some of these settings, the angle needs to be in partial degrees out to the third decimal place. If your miter gauge has a standard 3/4 X 3/8 bar and it fits in the miter gauge slots of your table saw without side play, these jigs will prove very handy, allowing perfect cuts every time. They are made very well, almost Aerospace quality and are well worth the cost. Each comes in it's own padded plastic container.

I have no connection to MiterSet other than being a very satisfied customer.

Charley

glenn bradley
11-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Another option to consider are the MiterSet gauges. https://miterset.myshopify.com/collections/miterset-package-set

I did this till I learned to trust the Incra.

396355 . 396356