PDA

View Full Version : Promised Picture

Steve Knowlton
11-29-2005, 9:55 AM
Here Is The Picture I Promised Yesterday. It Is White Cedar. It Is 20 1/2" Wide & 2" Tall. This Is My First Out Board Turning. It Was A Little Scary But Fun. Other 2 Bowls Are Dogwood.

Raymond Overman
11-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Nice looking turnings. I've got to get on the outboard side of my lathe sometime.

I just turned a small dogwood bowl this weekend. Excellent wood to work with but I thought it was going to curl up in a ball while drying. It even got wrinkles like you see in madrone. I like it that way though since it textured itself. Did you rough turn, dry, and then re-turn or just go straight to the final bowls.

John Hart
11-29-2005, 3:23 PM
Nice pieces all Steve! White Cedar...Hmm...Ya know, I think this is the first time I've ever seen white cedar. How is that to turn?

Mark Cothren
11-29-2005, 3:26 PM
Also a first for me - White Cedar. Does it have any aroma (similar to the red, aromatic Cedar I'm used to around here)?

Nice bowls! Thanks for the pictures!

Andy Hoyt
11-29-2005, 3:42 PM
I turned some eastern white cedar (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26709) a week or so ago and it was true joy.

Cuts like butter, no end grain hassle, and smelled wonderful.

Nice platter Steve

Dick Parr
11-29-2005, 6:07 PM
Very nice job Steve, love the shape! But I wish you wouldn't have told us how you made it:rolleyes: , now I am going to have to go try my outboard rig and see what I can do with it. I have a piece I have been saving for that and forgot all about it until you mentioned it.:eek:

Again, great job.:)

Jim Ketron
11-29-2005, 6:22 PM
Great Job Steve!
Nice work!

Jeremiah Jordan
11-29-2005, 6:58 PM
Looks very very nice Steve. All you need now is a chunk of cheese, some crackers and a big ol' goblet of wine!;)

Steve Knowlton
11-30-2005, 11:01 AM
The Dogwood Was Cut About 6 Months Ago. It Was Laying On My Shop Floor Since Then. It Was Semi Dry. It Is Changing Shape A Little. I Love The Colors.
White Cedar Was Easy To Turn. It Has A Nice Aroma Also.
The Outboard Turning Was A Challenge. I Used My Extensions That Came With The Lathe For Most Of The Turning, But To Get To The Center It Made A Free Stand To Do The Rest. I Will Make Some More Changees To That. It Needs To Be Heavier.