PDA

View Full Version : Can 5/4 Ash span 60” without sag?

Dan Baginski
11-08-2018, 11:33 AM
I’m building an entertainment center. Just below the top, I’ll have a large area where the sound bar will fit. It will be 60” long and 20” deep. Then below that are the shelves and drawers. I’m planning on building the top piece from 5/4 ash. The rest of the piece is ash and ash plywood as well. The top will only be supported on the edges. I’m trying to avoid any type of center support.

According to the sagulator, this should work. There won’t be any heavy items on the top. Maybe just small decorative items. Does anyone have experience with a build similar to this?

Brian Holcombe
11-08-2018, 12:57 PM
I wouldn’t make that span without support.

James Pallas
11-08-2018, 1:05 PM
"Workmanship of risk" It should work given carefull selection of material. Heat and long term loading may be your enemy.
Jim

Jim Becker
11-08-2018, 1:06 PM
I wouldn’t make that span without support.

Agree. At least embed some steel in it on the underside if you don't want any visible support, but personally, I'd use angle at least at the back.

Malcolm McLeod
11-08-2018, 1:34 PM
How high is the space where the sound bar fits? I assume the 60" dimension is width and the 20" depth seems clear enough.

Most sound bars I've seen are relatively shallow - - 6" to 8" deep and 3"-5" high. If this is true in your case, then is it possible to install a 3"-5" vertical 'stretcher' (running parallel to the 60" dimension) between the top and the first shelf/drawer blade? Recess it 6"-8" back to allow for the sound bar. You can drill holes in the stretcher to allow for wiring and it sounds like the space behind the sound bar may be wasted anyway. Coupled with a rigid back panel this would give you a bit of a torsion box structure and spread the bending forces.

Mike Hollingsworth
11-08-2018, 1:35 PM
Probably going to be fine until you put some weight on it.

Andrew Hughes
11-08-2018, 1:51 PM
I think it will fine . 5 ft is very long for inch and quarter ash. Look for the natural crown up hopefully it’s the best looking side.
Ive come to have a appreciation for ash ever since my grandson won the homerun derby swinging a 30$ ash bat.
Good luck

Dan Baginski
11-08-2018, 1:57 PM
How high is the space where the sound bar fits? I assume the 60" dimension is width and the 20" depth seems clear enough.

Most sound bars I've seen are relatively shallow - - 6" to 8" deep and 3"-5" high. If this is true in your case, then is it possible to install a 3"-5" vertical 'stretcher' (running parallel to the 60" dimension) between the top and the first shelf/drawer blade? Recess it 6"-8" back to allow for the sound bar. You can drill holes in the stretcher to allow for wiring and it sounds like the space behind the sound bar may be wasted anyway. Coupled with a rigid back panel this would give you a bit of a torsion box structure and spread the bending forces.

You’re right, the space behind the sound bar will be empty wasted space. Stretcher may not be a bad idea. It will be invisible behind the sound bar

Pat Barry
11-08-2018, 2:19 PM
I think it will fine . 5 ft is very long for inch and quarter ash. Look for the natural crown up hopefully it’s the best looking side.
Ive come to have a appreciation for ash ever since my grandson won the homerun derby swinging a 30$ ash bat.
Good luck
I agree. This will be plenty stiff for a non load bearing application. Ie: holding a soumdbar, framed pictures, small art works, etc.

Tom Bender
11-08-2018, 5:09 PM
If you sit on it it will sag just a little. With a light load it will be fine.

For comparison, my best digging shovel has an Ash handle and I can not make it bend even a little. You are using enough wood to hold up a house.

Bill Dufour
11-08-2018, 10:09 PM
You might consider putting two queen posts and maybe one king post under it with stainless cables. Or paint the cables and posts flat black. Makes an interesting visual statement. Looking like a old time wooden train flatcar.
Bill D.

Bill Orbine
11-08-2018, 10:18 PM
I think you'll be fine. But if this still concerns you, what is going on behind the sound bar? You could do the option of free standing support now or later.

Richard Coers
11-08-2018, 10:45 PM
I'd just run a screw through the back into the center of the shelf. IF, you have a back.

Joe Jensen
11-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Sound bars don't weight much and the weight will be spread out. If the ash gives at all the weight will end up 6" from each end of the 5 foot board. I would not worry a bit about a sound bar. Now do you KNOW thats all that the shelf would be used for?

Andrew Seemann
11-08-2018, 11:54 PM
You'll get more movement from the change in the seasons than from sag with 5/4 ash.

More importantly, how wide is the ash, and how does it connect with the plywood sides? If it is more than a few inches wide, you will need to deal with seasonal movement issues. If it is the full 20 inches, you have a lot of movement to deal with.

Corey Pelton
11-09-2018, 12:27 AM
I tried using 5/4 ash on a 60x60 table bottom inset. Laminated 5 boards together. It flexed to much after getting it in the rabbet. Lesson learned. Went back and got a oversized sheet of 3/4 ply. Much more stable.

Andrew Hughes
11-09-2018, 12:37 AM
That’s unbelievable a full 1 1/4 solid ash panel insert was more flexible then 3/4 plywood. Are you sure:cool:

Mark Wooden
11-09-2018, 9:04 AM
Short answer- yes, it'll make the span with light loads, ash is pretty strong.
Make it a nice piece, good on both sides and edges, make it removable (mount on shelf pins,cleats etc..)
Put it in, if it begins to sag over time, flip it over
Done

johnny means
11-09-2018, 10:30 AM
I tried using 5/4 ash on a 60x60 table bottom inset. Laminated 5 boards together. It flexed to much after getting it in the rabbet. Lesson learned. Went back and got a oversized sheet of 3/4 ply. Much more stable.
Do you mean it flexed or cupped? Material can be both very stable and very flexible at the same time. Like wise, a panel can be very stiff, yet unstable.

Dan Baginski
11-09-2018, 10:48 AM
I’m going to assemble the top with dowels and glue. It will be attached to the unit with regular table top fasteners. So it will be removable if I end up needing a support under it

Lee Schierer
11-09-2018, 8:59 PM
I’m building an entertainment center. Just below the top, I’ll have a large area where the sound bar will fit. It will be 60” long and 20” deep. Then below that are the shelves and drawers. I’m planning on building the top piece from 5/4 ash. The rest of the piece is ash and ash plywood as well. The top will only be supported on the edges. I’m trying to avoid any type of center support.

According to the sagulator, this should work. There won’t be any heavy items on the top. Maybe just small decorative items. Does anyone have experience with a build similar to this?

A sketch of your project would be most helpful. I've found the sagulator to be quite accurate. Be sure you use the finished thickness of your top piece for the calculation. A 60" span for 1-1/4" thick ash shouldn't be fine. I have a 50" span of 3/4" hickory that holds a computer monitor and I can sit on it with less than 1/4" deflection.

lowell holmes
11-10-2018, 9:45 AM
If it sags, add a decorative stiffener on top.

andy bessette
11-10-2018, 11:10 AM
...There won’t be any heavy items on the top. Maybe just small decorative items...

Another way to word this is: "Due to inadequate design, only lightweight items can be placed on the shelf."

Support can also be from above, in the form of a divider, to break up the span.