PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/4" overlay faceframe corner cabinet question

Michael Donahue
11-08-2018, 11:08 AM
My wife has given me the greenlight to build new kitchen cabinets to replace our 30 year old, worn out golden oak ones. I'm planning to build with 1 1/2" face frames and use 1 1/4" overlay euro cup hinges.

For our upper cabinets in a corner, the configuration will be a 12" wide cabinet on the first wall, abutting a 24x24 corner cabinet (the type with a 45 degree face), meeting another 12" wide cabinet on the other wall. The current cabinets have a 1/2" overlay I think and there are no clearance issues. Will moving to 1 1/4" overlay bring the doors too close together to open right? I'm normally pretty good at visualizing this stuff but I'm stuck.

If this is a problem, I guess the next option would be to adjust the overlay measurement for these cabinets?

Thanks!!

Tim Bueler
11-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Take some scrap and make a mock up of the corner using the face frame dimensions and hinges of choice. Where the door ends up when open is a function of the hinge "crank", mounting plate and door thickness. I find it easiest to simply make a mock up using scrap that is equal thickness to the finished product and work backwards from there, YMMV.

Is there a base cabinet under that? Does it go around the corner also? Will you have knobs/pulls on the cabinets? Knobs knocking can be a problem in a 90* turn. Just another place to make sure there isn't any interference.

By using 1-1/4" overlay are you trying to minimize the amount of face frame visible? If so you could build a frameless cabinet. This link https://www.wwhardware.com/media/pdf/ConcealedHingeBasics.pdf could help you understand.