PDA

View Full Version : New workshop

Rich Stewart
11-29-2005, 9:54 AM
WoooHooo, Finally got my new workshop. Was quite an ordeal getting it in place. Seems the sales guy didn't relay my DETAILED delivery instuctions to the delivery guys and they sent ONE guy out. I wasn't about to let him out of my sight until that shed was off the truck after waiting 4 weeks for it. So me and him were able to get it down the hill and into place. I wanted to take pics but of course it was raining on us and I didnt want to get my camera wet. That was monday and then I had to work all week again before I could mess with it. Had a buddy come wire it up on Friday, spent the week-end setting everything up. Temporarily at least. Then the spindle adaptor for my old lathe got stuck in the bushing for my chuck. Took it to work so one of the mechanics could help get it out. I showed him what I had then had to walk away for a minute and when I came back he had it in a vise with a different size thread bolt stuck in it, applying heat with an acetylene torch and a three foot cheater bar on it. Needless to say it broke in 15 pieces. Jeez! Spent an hour on the phone with PSI and got the new parts on order. 32 bucks. But anyway I haven't really got to do anything with the new lathe as I can't use my chuck. So,here are the pics of my new workshop. Still need to build some shelves and such but you get the idea.

Rich Stewart
11-29-2005, 9:58 AM
Hit the submit button by mistake. had one more shot showing the delivery route.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Rich.......let me be the first to congratulate you! Keep us posted on setting up your new shop!

Again.............Congrats!

Jeff Sudmeier
11-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Rich,

Congrats on your new shop! Dad and I have started building very similar sheds! I will have to add "workshop" to the list of uses!

Jerry Clark
11-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I bet SWMBO will be glad that the lathe is off the kitchen table-- :cool: congratulations! Now you need a room addition for the next lathe.:rolleyes:

Carole Valentine
11-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Ain't it great? :D Rich, I couldn't help but notice the amound of white stuff beneath your buffing wheel? Is that white diamond residue? If, so......you are using WAAAAY too MUCH! Just holding the bar to the buff for a couple of secs is enough. Your sticks of compound should last you for many years...unless you do what I did and drop your carnuba on the concrete. When you do that, it shatters like glass!:(

Rich Stewart
11-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Carole i think that is dust but I am not sure. I am still confused as to the proper technique for application on the wheel. It doesn't look like any at all came off the bar. No mark at all from the buff on the white diamond or the carnuba. Got a mark on the tripoli that transfered to a piece of poplar I was experimenting with. Too much I am assuming. Also the white buffing wheels seem to be coming apart quick. Little strings everywhere. Do you go through a lot of buffing wheels?

Andy Hoyt
11-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Looks like "buff fluff" to me, which indicates it's a new buff.

Take some 120 grit sandpaper backed with a flat piece of something and "shave/sand" the buff. Most of that stuff will go away pretty quick

John Hart
11-29-2005, 3:19 PM
Congratulations on your new digs Rich!!! So did you go over the fence or through it to get the shop down there? And, is that satelite dish on your shop or the building behind it? Good times are coming!!!!

Carole Valentine
11-29-2005, 8:34 PM
LOL! A new wheel makes a real mess as you have discovered. Don't breathe in all those fibers flying around. Use the sandpaper as was suggested or a piece of old bandsaw blade to get rid of the loose fibers. Once they are broken in the fluff will go away.The wheels last a looong time.

Bob Noles
11-29-2005, 8:55 PM
Rich..... Awesome idea for a lathe shop. I like the dedication in the planning and see a few really neat ideas I may have to borrow (steal) from you :D

A quick question on the dust/chip collection. How does that type of set up work out? Is it pretty effective? I am new at turning and been having a ball down here with this wonderful group of people and my new lathe is on it's way and not even here yet, but I'm tryong to learn all I can. I do like the chip collection idea you have and had not even thought about that phase of this new interest yet.

Also need to look into one of those buffers. I believe John already made mention of one to me a few days ago.

Really nice set up you have and I can see all the fun you are going to be having in there.

Joe Mioux
11-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Rich;

I see you reduced your workshop space, but atleast waterproofed it from your first workshop post. (I believe it was this past April) ;)

Glad to see you are under roof.
Joe

Rich Stewart
11-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Bob, the dust collector is pretty much just that. It doesn't do much good as far as chip collection but it is GREAT at dust collection when sanding the piece. Thats what I got it for anyway. It does a great job of sucking up the dust while sanding. I still have to get out the shop vac to pic up chips and shavings from the floor.

Yeah John we went through the fence. While the delivery guy was complaining about it I took it down. Took all of five minutes. Took ten to put it back up.

Got a delivery notification from PSI. My parts should be here today and I will be back in business. I haven't gotten my sharpening jig yet but I freehanded a couple chisels on my new grinder. What a difference!!! I was using the likes of spoons before.

Thanks everybody for your comments. Great knowing y'all.