PDA

View Full Version : Replace my Porter Cable 16 gauge nailer with?

Randall J Cox
11-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Think my 16 gauge Porter Cable nailer just gave it up. Bought it new 22 years ago and have used it off and on as a hobbiest all along. The nailing pin doesn't seem to retract. I have put in a couple of drops of oil after using (as it recommended) religiously over all these years. Anyway, given the cost, didn't think it worth trying to fix and thought I would replace it. The 16 gauge size clipped head "nails", fits what I do fairly well. First off, anybody fix a problem like this? Maybe an easy fix? Secondly, if replacing, what would you buy? Have been looking at factory reconditioned nailers in the $100 to $150 range as I probably don't have to many years of woodworking left in me.... Thanks. Randy

Eric Anderson
11-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Had a similar problem with my PC 15 ga angled nailer. Took it to a little equipment repair shop that specializes in nailers, and they fixed it for about $25. Don't remember exactly the cause as it was several years ago, but it has worked flawlessly since. So if you don't want to just throw something away that worked for you for years, Then think about local repair co. Might be cheaper than you think.

Mike Kees
11-08-2018, 12:47 PM
What Eric said. $25-30 to rebuild or buy the kit and do it yourself. The only "wear items'' are O rings and the driver.

lowell holmes
11-08-2018, 6:30 PM
Go to Home Depot and/or Lowes. They both have a good selection on nail guns and staple guns.

Randall J Cox
11-08-2018, 8:29 PM
After seeing that rebuilding kits (didn't even know they existed before today) were around $60 for my Porter Cable, I pulled the trigger today on a factory reconditioned Dewalt for $99 on CPO outlets. Bought other stuff from them over the years with good results. Thanks for the replies, I always learn from them.... Randy