PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Domino project has miters and I could really use some help!

Lester Sak
11-05-2018, 9:07 PM
've wanted a Domino for some time and finally bought one for the project I'm building now for a customer. It's a laptop stand to sit in front of his indoor bike trainer. It has a horseshoe shaped base with 2 vertical legs that will support the platform that the laptop will sit on. The idea is to use 2 domino's in each of the angled joints which are 22.5 degrees. The pic below are the parts I've milled so far:

Each of the pieces are 2.25" x 2.25" dia. I was able cut the first mortise, turning the piece on it's side so that the miter is vertical and setting the angle of the fence and using the trim stop to center the piece. The pics below show a test piece:

This pic shows the piece aligned properly to be joined:

But I don't know how to cut the lower mortise (the one closer to the outside of the miter). I made the one in the practice piece by locking the piece in my bench vise, marking a line to line up to and plunging "freehand" because I couldn't use the trim stop. I'm wondering if I need to make some kind of jig for this or am I missing something simple here? I plan on a tight fit for the 1st domino and a looser fit for the 2nd.

Appreciate any help!

Simon MacGowen
11-05-2018, 10:35 PM
If I understand your joinery requirements correctly, the easiest way to join (regardless of whether it is 22.5*) is to cut the two mortises by registering against the wide sides (you are registering against the narrow sides, as shown in the second last picture). Mark out the two straight lines on the mating reference faces and mortise them with the fence set at 90*. Don't handle that joint like a miter.

Use the narrow (standard) setting for both mortises since there is not a lot of material given the width of the stock. If you don't have steady hands and the alignments are off a hair, size down the edges of the dominoes a little for fit. You will be able to achieve precision after you have used this tool for some time. This is a game changing machine once you realize its full potentials (many don't).

Simon

Lester Sak
11-05-2018, 10:59 PM
Hello Simon,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. You're suggestion makes perfect sense as the reference face on the piece will be the same for both mortises. I don't know why I got caught up on the fact there's a miter. I'll give this a try tomorrow after work.

I look forward to learning all the potential this tool has. Thanks again for the help.

Les

Corey Pelton
11-06-2018, 12:30 PM
I built a jig for this very thing. Worked very well. I plan to eventually make it adjustable, to allow larger stock if needed, but it did the job. Repeatability is key.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?263906-Evan-s-style-coffee-table&p=2800208&highlight=#post2800208

Lester Sak
11-06-2018, 2:34 PM
I built a jig for this very thing. Worked very well. I plan to eventually make it adjustable, to allow larger stock if needed, but it did the job. Repeatability is key.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?263906-Evan-s-style-coffee-table&p=2800208&highlight=#post2800208

Thanks Corey, good info. I found your post with the jig pictures, very helpful!