PDA

View Full Version : Brad point bits

Tim Compton
11-04-2018, 8:02 PM
The time has come to replace my bit set. I have a Wood River set now. I have searched the forum about these, and most people say buy individual bits and build a set. I like having a set on hand. I know that W.L. Fullers are the best, but they cost a lot. I have looked at the Lee Valley set, I like those. I have been looking at Fisch also. Does anybody know how good they are. If there are any other brands that deserve a look let me know. I have been looking at sets 1/16 to 1/2.

Bruce Page
11-04-2018, 8:13 PM
No experience with the other brands, only the LV set. The LV set has met all my expectations, and then some.

Orlando Gonzalez
11-04-2018, 9:28 PM
I have a set of W. L. Fuller brad points that I use on the good stuff and a set of HF brad points on the cheap stuff. The Fuller are more expensive but worth the price in the long run.

Bill Dufour
11-04-2018, 9:46 PM
Get them with hex shanks especially if they are made in China. There is a skill to making them hard enough to stay sharp and not so hard they snap off, and soft enough the shank can be gripped by a chuck.
Bil lD.

Bob Michaels1
11-04-2018, 10:27 PM
+1 for the LV set. Also easy to replace individual bits when needed.

Rod Sheridan
11-05-2018, 6:32 AM
I also like the Lee Valley bits, accurately ground, sharp, they work very well...........Rod.

Larry Frank
11-05-2018, 7:21 AM
I have Colt Twinland and very pleased with them

glenn bradley
11-05-2018, 8:37 AM
Firstly, all good cutters cost. Making peace with that will let you then decide who gets your hard earned cash. :)

Another Lee Valley lipped bit fan here. I bought a small set and filled things in over time via Christmas and Birthday wish lists. They cut a very clean entrance and exit hole. They have a 'behavior' when cutting "ganged" material as the lips cut a perfect little disc at the exit pint, like a Forstner bit rim does, and this will spin against the next piece of material in the stack. I have learned the feel of this and just back off, flick off the disc and move on.

Jim Tobias
11-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Another +1 for the Lee Valley set. Had it for years, no issues and they cut perfectly.

Jim

lowell holmes
11-05-2018, 11:31 AM
I have never been disappointed with Lee Valley.

Ralph Okonieski
11-05-2018, 5:49 PM
I’ve been happy with LV set.

Ben Rivel
11-05-2018, 7:14 PM
Another Lee Valley owner here. Been very happy with them. Get your order in quick though as they are only doing free shipping for another few days.

Dan Rude
11-05-2018, 11:31 PM
LV has Free Shipping right now if you decide that route. I also like the Montana Bits, made in the USA. I bought mine at Menards, not sure if they still carry the set I have. I have an older set of Rocklers, probably the same as your Wood River Bits. Dan