PDA

View Full Version : 12" Craftsman Bandsaw?

Vaughn McMillan
11-29-2005, 4:37 AM
Has anybody seen one of the new Craftsman 12" bandsaws in the wild? (It's 3/4 hp with a claimed 7" resaw capacity, on sale for about $270. It's item number 00922400000 (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00922400000&tab=des#tab) on the Sears site.) I've seen in searches of old threads that there are a few satisfied owners of other Craftsman bandsaws here, but was wondering if anyone had even seen one of these 12 models in person. Bobby Hicks asked a similar question about the new line of Craftsman bandsaws a few months ago, but I wondered if any of this particular model had been seen yet. It seems to have pretty decent specs, compared to several 14" saws on the market that cost quite a bit more. (Decent-sized CI table with two miter slots, micro-adjust bearing blade guides...dunno if they can accept aftermarket guides...drift-adjustable fence, dual speed, etc. The 89 1/2" blade length seems a bit odd, but that's not a problem if I order from a real blade place like Suffolk Machinery.)

I've quickly reached the limits of my cheapie $100 benchtop bandsaw, and would like to be able to resaw short lengths of 5" or 6" hardwoods to 3/8" to 1/4" thickness, and perhaps thinner cuts on 3/4 to 1" material. This saw might be at a workable price point, whereas anything else I've seen (Delta, Grizzley and Jet 14" models, not to mention the MiniMax, Laguna, Rikon, etc.) is enough above my budget to put them out of reach for quite some time. I know ultimately I'll want a real (18"+) bandsaw, but with my limited budget, space and electric power (single 20 amp circuit for the whole garage) I'm thinking something like the 12" Craftsman might fit the bill for a few years, and actually help make a bit of money, if used properly. I realize the inherent risk with late-model Craftsman tools, in that they may change manufacturers, and parts availability may become an issue. This particular saw is apparently made by Yukon, a company I've not heard of. Could be good...could be bad. Ya never know.

Anyone care to share thoughts on this model?

- Vaughn

john whittaker
11-29-2005, 5:47 AM
Vaughn...That bandsaw looks like one of the new Rikon saws. Sears is selling a 10" bandsaw that is made at the same factory as the Rikon. It is actually a bit better (better table) IMHO. I haven't looked specifically at the 12" but the literature looks like the Rikon stuff. And bang for the buck I think they are a good value.

Corey Hallagan
11-29-2005, 8:40 AM
The saws are made by a company called Yukolian or something like that. They are also sold without the CMan badge on Amazon. Maybe a sister company or something for Rikon?

Corey

Tom Jones III
11-29-2005, 10:18 AM
I have had an older c-man 12" BS for about 6 years now. It has a max resaw capacity of 5 1/8". I've successfully and repeatedly resawn to 1/8" and less on 4' boards at max height capacity. Given the cost, the only things I wish were different is a taller resaw capacity and a bigger table.

tod evans
11-29-2005, 10:39 AM
vaughn, for years i used a delta 14 that i stuck a 5hp motor on. i`d think you could find one of those for about the same money as a new sears? just a thought, tod

Guy Germaine
11-29-2005, 2:41 PM
I just recently bought the 10" Sears band saw. It actually works very well for a "cheaper" saw. I set it up and tried resawing some 4 1/2" oak using the stock blade and was able to slice off a nice piece a little less than 1/8" thick. It has a nice cast iron table and roller guides. Dust collection seemed to work real well with my shop vac hooked up to it too. I bought it for smaller projects like Intarsia, plus I can't afford a 14" yet.:rolleyes:

I would say if you're looking for something to make a quick cut, or to not have to swap out the blade on your larger saw, this one is a real nice find.

Vaughn McMillan
11-29-2005, 4:50 PM
Corey, it looks like Amazon has the 10" little brother to this one, made by Yukon. Sears is the only place I've seen with the 12" version.

Tod, I've been watching the local used market a bit and haven't seen anything workable yet, but I'm still looking. (I don't think my garage circuit can handle a 5 hp motor right now, but I do see your point about looking for used equipment.)

Guy, thanks for the input. Bruce Page recently got the 10" Rikon that looks like your new C-Man (to go with his big bandsaw), and he seems to be be happy with it, too. Seems to be a nice machine. I just know that with my current 10" saw, I can't resaw 1/8" thick slices off a piece of 4 1/2" oak.

Thanks all -

- Vaughn

Scott Donley
11-29-2005, 5:14 PM
Corey, it looks like Amazon has the 10" little brother to this one, made by Yukon. Sears is the only place I've seen with the 12" version.

Tod, I've been watching the local used market a bit and haven't seen anything workable yet, but I'm still looking. (I don't think my garage circuit can handle a 5 hp motor right now, but I do see your point about looking for used equipment.)

Guy, thanks for the input. Bruce Page recently got the 10" Rikon that looks like your new C-Man (to go with his big bandsaw), and he seems to be be happy with it, too. Seems to be a nice machine. I just know that with my current 10" saw, I can't resaw 1/8" thick slices off a piece of 4 1/2" oak.Hi Vaughn, rather than the slight upgrade, have you tried a better blade ? I know my Jet 14cs still had problems doing what you want till I went with a Woodslicer, day and night change.

Thanks all -

- VaughnVaughn, rather than the slight upgrade, have you tried a better blade ? I know my Jet 14cs still had problems doing what you want till I went with a Woodslicer, day and night change.

Don Baer
11-29-2005, 5:15 PM
Vaughn,
I just now (this very minute) got back from picking up that saw at Sears. It's still in the box. It does indeed have a 7" resaw capability resaw capability. and the table is the exact same table and fence as there 14" Tthe 14" has an 8" resaw cability. The 12 inch has a 3/4 HP motor and the 14 has a 1" hp motor. The price differance is about $140. I'll be assembling it tonight and will let you know how it shapes up.I'm going to test it on some 8/4 maple. I figure if It doesn't shape up I can always take it back.;)

Vaughn McMillan
11-29-2005, 6:07 PM
Don, I'm all ears. I'd appreciate your observations after you've got it set up and played with a bit. Some of the questions that are still unanswered:

1. Will it accept aftermarket guides like Cool Blocks or similar?
2a. How is the table mounted to the saw?
2b. Attached to the frame, or to the case?
3. Should I pull the trigger? ;)

Thanks, Don -

- Vaughn

Don Baer
11-29-2005, 7:33 PM
I unpacked the unit in the back of my pickup in order to get it out of my truck. It weighs several hundred pounds so I figured taking it out in pieces would be easier.

1. Will it accept aftermarket guides like Cool Blocks or similar?

It come with 3 rouler bearing guides on the top and three on the bottom. They are fastened with normal bolts so I don't see any reason why you couldn't put some after market guides on if you wanted to. They do have a realy slick micro adjustment on them that I'll be curous to see how they work.

2a. How is the table mounted to the saw?
2b. Attached to the frame, or to the case?

The table which is cast Iron and very heavy has an aluminum trunion which bolts with 4-5/8 bolts. This trunion fits into a matching trunion Saddle??) which is mounted to the SAW by somwmore 5/8" bolts. The two matching pieces are held in position by another 5/8" bolt which has a large wing nut you can use to tilt the table if you want to.

3. Should I pull the trigger? ;)

Thanks, Don -

- Vaughn

Don't know the answer to taht but I figure I paid less then $1/lb. if that means anything. I'll get a better Idea after I try resawing some 8/4 maple.
:D

Corey Hallagan
11-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Hmmm... ok Vaughn, you are getting me all worked up again on bandsaws. Been looking at this saw as well. The 12 inch must be an exclusively made for Sears as they don't show one on the Yukon....thanks for refreshing my memory on the name :) Yukolian.... I like that better ....:) Waiting for Don's assesment as well.
Corey

Vaughn McMillan
11-30-2005, 2:08 AM
Hmmm... ok Vaughn, you are getting me all worked up again on bandsaws. Been looking at this saw as well. The 12 inch must be an exclusively made for Sears as they don't show one on the Yukon....thanks for refreshing my memory on the name :) Yukolian.... I like that better ....:) Waiting for Don's assesment as well.
Corey
It's a disease, Corey. Must be in the water or something, since it looks like you and I aren't the only ones to get the bug lately. I'm also eying the Grizzly G0555 on sale right now, and debating if the extra $150 would be justified. (Plus $50 or so later to buy riser blocks, because surely if I could, I would eventually.) I know there are a lot of happy G0555 owners out there, but I could put the extra money to use elsewhere I'm sure. (I also noticed a pre-owned, but never used 14" Delta 28-276 on Craig's List tonight for $350, to make the quandry even more interesting.)

Vaughn, rather than the slight upgrade, have you tried a better blade ? I know my Jet 14cs still had problems doing what you want till I went with a Woodslicer, day and night change.
Don't be trying to talk me out of a new tool purchase, Scott! What were you thinking? :p ;) I've tried new Vermont American blades from the BORG, but not a high-quality one from a real blade company. If you could see the piece of stamped sheet metal that's the table on my existing bandsaw, and the sewing-machine motor attached to the back, you'd understand why I'm not going to very heroic efforts to enhance it. I kinda knew buying it that it was only a holdoff until I could get something more substantial, and I feel I got my money's worth from it. The next saw will also hopefully be a stepping stone, on my way towards something in the 18" range (after LOML wins the Lottery). Thanks for the suggestion, though.

In related news, I did get the go-ahead this evening from LOML to get a new bandsaw, and she's going to chip in a bit towards the purchase as part of my Christmas present. Probably didn't hurt that I broached the subject right after giving her the 160 GB TiVo upgrade disk drive she wanted for her present. (She wanted it early, since she's about out of room on her original disk.) Timing is everything, I guess. :D

- Vaughn

Scott Donley
11-30-2005, 2:24 AM
Don't be trying to talk me out of a new tool purchase, Scott! What were you thinking? :p ;) I've tried new Vermont American blades from the BORG, but not a high-quality one from a real blade company. If you could see the piece of stamped sheet metal that's the table on my existing bandsaw, and the sewing-machine motor attached to the back, you'd understand why I'm not going to very heroic efforts to enhance it. I kinda knew buying it that it was only a holdoff until I could get something more substantial, and I feel I got my money's worth from it. The next saw will also hopefully be a stepping stone, on my way towards something in the 18" range (after LOML wins the Lottery). Thanks for the suggestion, though.

In related news, I did get the go-ahead this evening from LOML to get a new bandsaw, and she's going to chip in a bit towards the purchase as part of my Christmas present. Probably didn't hurt that I broached the subject right after giving her the 160 GB TiVo upgrade disk drive she wanted for her present. (She wanted it early, since she's about out of room on her original disk.) Timing is everything, I guess. :D

- VaughnLOL, I thought of that just after I wrote it, sorry, won't do it again :) After all, who in their right mind would want to fix an old tool when they have a chance to get a new and BIGGER one!

Fred Hubert
11-30-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm really anxious to hear about how this saw works, but for me the comparison is between the 14" version with 8" resaw capacity and the G0555 from Grizzly (which I did not know was on sale).

LOML has given the green light for either a band saw or drill press as my Christmas present, and I'm leaning toward the band saw. Should I choose the drill press it would be the Ridgid, which I expect to be available for 20% off during their normal December tool sale.

Please keep the feedback coming...

~ Fred

Matthew Poeller
11-30-2005, 11:16 AM
A couple weeks ago I saw that bandsaw, the 12" C-Man and thought that it looked awesome. 7" resaw, drift adjustable fence and $300 to boot.

I stopped in the store the other day and this thing looked really nice in the flesh. I mean as nice as you can get for $300. I have decided to wait on the purchase until I move. The less machines to move the better off I am.

I am very interested in comments on this saw since I sold my old C-Man bandsaw in preparation to purchase the "new" one. The old one that I had was only the 5 1/8" resaw cap with no fence.

Don Baer
11-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Well LOML had plans so I didn't have enough time to test the saw. I did finish the assembly and when the manual says to have someone help you believe them Lifting the saw onto the stand without the table and fence in place was still a chore. Then puttting the cast iron table onto the stand requires a somemore grunting. It is all assembled and I'll tune it up and test it tonight. Sorry to keep you all in suspence.

Don Baer
11-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Well I spent about 2 hours dialing in the blade guides, tracking the blade (that was easy) and dailing in the table (that took a little while longer). It needs a bit more tweeking on 8 in resawing but I don't think it will be very hard to do. It took what ever I threw at it. I resawed some maple, oak and pine and it didn't even hesitate so it seems to have plenty of power. It cuts consistantly and right now it is within a 32nd on 4 inch resaw cuts. I just need to spend a little more time getting it dialed in. I don't intend on making veneer on it so I don't need any better accuracy from this saw but I think I can get it to where it'll cuts some very thin suff. I just resawed some oak at 7 " to a 1/16 so that is more then I'll ever use it for. The blade I am using is the one that came with it so I think with a good quality blade I'll have what I need.

Vaughn,
I can't tell you if this is the saw for you but it definitly meets my needs.
My needs for this saw are to resaw 8/4 for book matching boards and scrolling 8/4 for furniture table and char legs etc.

Vaughn McMillan
11-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Don. I went to the Burbank Sears this evening and they had one set up, so I spent about 30 minutes going over it with a fine-toothed comb, trying all the adjustments I could (they left the allen wrenches where I could get them) and I sure didn't find anything to fault it on, except perhaps the fence could slide more smoothly (no big deal for me). It looks better in person than I'd anticipated; I was very impressed. In the meantime, I've been following the other "What Bandsaw Should I Get?" thread here, and can see there are a lot of very satisfied G0555 owners here, too.

LOML has greenlighted either saw and each model has specific advantages over the other. I'm pretty certain either saw will make me vey happy, but need to decide if the extra horsepower and potential for bigger resaw capacity (even though I'm not currently planning any, down the road, who knows?) is worth the extra $150. And if I go with the Griz, I don't know if I'll miss some of the extra features offered by the Craftsman (like the tracking window, bigger table, tension gauge, built-in light, dual miter slots, etc.).

It's a tough decision, but as I mentioned to someone earlier today, if that's the biggest problem I face this week, then life's pretty good. ;)

Thanks for all the input everyone. Keep your eyes open for an upcoming gloat. Dunno what it'll be, but it'll allow me to waste wood faster than ever before. :D

- Vaughn

Don Baer
11-30-2005, 11:13 PM
One added bonus I discovered is that the T miter slot match my Jet table saw so if I need to I can use the miter gage from the jet on th C man.

Bill Fields
11-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Vaughn--

First, listen to Don--with Sears you can always take it back--not so with the brands that are usually better and cost more, but their nearest "take-back" is hundreds of miles away or an expensive visit to UPS.

I bought the Ridgid 14" saw for under $300 from HD(?) about a year ago. It's big and heavy, but the features and motor set-up are lame. I think it is made by Emerson Electric (USA--makers of most C'man tools) in China.

Admittedly, I could have returned it to HD, but after the 4-5 hours to put it together--

The motor is at the back of the saw--not below it. The belt tension procedure is very poor--in my case involving a crowbar and a helper--.

The guides need to be replaced with ANY approach better than than the supplied steel blocks, such as phenolic, Carter or Delrin/Nylon. It is supplied as a "1-speed" which really limits the range of material that can be cut.

Seems that HD is trying to capitalize on a very famous high-end plumbing tool brand of yesteryear.

I would buy that C'man BS, try it, and save the receipt and packing material. There is NOTHING worse than buying something and hating it!

BILL FIELDS

Tim Burke
12-01-2005, 1:15 PM
It needs a bit more tweeking on 8 in resawing but I don't think it will be very hard to do. It took what ever I threw at it. I resawed some maple, oak and pine and it didn't even hesitate so it seems to have plenty of power.

Don,

Isn't the resaw of this saw limited to 7", or did you buy the 14" saw?

Thanks, Tim

Don Baer
12-01-2005, 1:25 PM
Sorry about that Tim, I ment to say 7" resaw. I am going out to get asome better blades before I spend any more time dailing it in. I will say that resawing a piece of hard maple at 7" was no problem for this guy. It didn't hesitate at all.

Cary Falk
01-23-2006, 11:32 PM
So it has be several months since several of you guys have purchased the 12" Craftsman band saw. I would guess you have a little time to put it to a real good test. Do you still like it? My 9" Craftsman BS(motor)just went out. I knew it wasn't that great when I bought it but I thought it would last longet than 15 months of little use. I am not Craftsman bashing. I have a 12" drill press that has been good to me. The 12" BS would be perfect for me size and price wise. I would be inclined to buy an extended warrenty if they offer it at a reasonable price since the longevity of the tool is unproven and I have a bad track record with Craftsman motors after about a year. Would you do it again?

Vaughn McMillan
01-24-2006, 4:30 AM
Hi Cary, and welcome to the Creek. I ended up going with a saw that was a bit more than twice my original budget, the Shop Fox 14" with a riser block. I've been very happy with it and have already used nearly all of the 12" resaw capacity (contrary to my original comments in the initial post of this thread).

Don got the 12" Craftsman, and hope he sees this thread and chimes in with his observations after using the saw for a while. All I know is that he's already used it to produce a very nice looking Maloof-inspired table. I still stand by my comments on it looking like a great saw for the price.

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-24-2006, 7:15 AM
Not to add to your troubles in finding a new toy...errr..band saw, but how about the fairly new Hitachi...?

CB13F

CB13F Forum (http://cb13f.cpu-etc.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl)

I've heard some good things about this saw.

One thing I'd like to add to your thinking here is that you really need, want to have two bandsaws.

I've got the old Hitachi B601 resaw bandsaw, and for resawing, there is no equal to a dedicated resaw.

I bought my resaw first, and I think this is the backwards way to do it (big surprise that I'd do it the wrong way around eh?) but if I had to do it again, I'd buy one of these nice little 12" units. This is what I'd be using to do any thing curvy, I'd NOT try to get it to do any amount of resaw.

I think that you will have the best of both worlds if you get a dedicated resaw and a 12" (14" would be good to).

Just my opinion, but you really have to see a resaw in action to appreciate how well they work. Trying to push a 12" or a 14" to do the job of the dedicated resaw is, at best a temporary fix, or a very occasional use thing.

Again, others may not agree with me, but they are all wet ;):D (just kidding!)

Cheers!

Cary Falk
01-24-2006, 9:38 AM
Thanks for the replys guys, The fact is that I just don't think I will be doing much resawing. So far I have only been using the band saw to make rocking horses and a curved front picture frame. Size is an issue. I have a 3 car garage that houses a truck, SUV, car and 4 dogs. Now if anything will have to move out of the garage, it will be my truck and I am not ready for that. Money is not the issue if it is in the 14" BS range but I can't justify a big tool that I will probably won't use it's full potential and possibly be putting me one step further from parking out of the garage.

Don Baer
01-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Cary,
I've used the saw quite a bit and it has done everything I've asked it to do. I did resaw a piece of 8/4 maple with it and had no problems. I used it to cut the legs on the table I am working on they're 8/4 maple and also to make the top which is 6/4 maple. here some pix in this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=285470&posted=1#post285470

the only down side so far it no one carries the blades in stock so I had to have them made up they are 90 1/2" but that was no big deal. I just ordered them.

Cary Falk
01-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks Don, I was hoping you would chime in sooner of later.

Todd Griffin
01-24-2006, 5:05 PM
If anyone is looking at getting the CM 12", you better triple check that the local store(s) have them. I bought one on 12/31 only to find that it had a broken motor mount. Long story short......there are no 12" BS in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, or Alabama, per the website search. The local stores (Columbus, Ohio) are on backorder until mid March. The replacement part (a new motor) is on backorder until late February. So, I returned it and used the coupons/discounts from the online store that is named after a river in South America. I ended up getting a Delta 28-209 with a Kreg fence, which is due to be delivered tomorrow. :)

Mike Sanfeliz
01-24-2006, 9:35 PM
Cary. I too picked up the CM 12" BS a few weeks back. Truthfully, this is my first BS, but I feel that for the price it is quite nice ($255. with CM club card). When compared to the CM 14" we're only talking a few inches and resaw is 7". She also has enough power for my basic needs. Can you do better, of course. Can you do worse, most definitely. I think as of late Sears has been trying to get better companies to represent their CM line. At least with my table saw I feel like they hit a home-run.

Todd, When I went for my BS, the younger sales person and cashier both looked up my 22400 on the computers and was told that they were out of stock. They called the Sears harware in Easton, P.A. and was also told that they were O.O.S. When my regular sales guy Russ came back from lunch I asked him. He went straight to the stock room and found one for me. Basically, computers are not always right and some sales people just don't like to go that extra mile.

Props to my man Russ :)

Cary Falk
01-25-2006, 4:57 AM
Thanks again to everyone who replied. I went out yesterday to kick some bandsaw tires so to speak with every intention of buying the CM 12". I came across a pretty good deal on a new 14" 3/4hp Delta. It made my decision very tough but I decided to go Delta, put in a riser block and be done with it. Fo anyone intersted, there is a Craftsman Club sail this weekend with 10% off. I got the flyer in the mail today. It has the 10" marked at $125 and the 12" at $270.

Todd Griffin
01-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Mike,
That is what happened when I originally bought my 12". The store I bought it from isn't real helpful. When I went to return it, they made no attempt to try to locate another one. I asked a Manager if he would "work with me" on the price of the 14" (which I definitely preferred but too much $$$) - he would only go to 429....the Club price is/was 419. A different store would have sold me the 14" for the Club price even though I didn't buy the 12" from them. That store was the one that checked local availability for the 12. I realize that the computers were/are probably wrong, but I wasn't going to take the chance. I like the new line of CM BS....they seem to be well made and have many good features. A downside is that replacement parts are not available at this time and the blades are not standard sizes, so if you break one....you have to order it and wait a few days. So I ordered the Delta instead.