PDA

View Full Version : Hauling 4 x 8 panels

Martin Dettmer
11-04-2018, 7:53 AM
Just lost my 2004 Honda Pilot to a "total loss" accident. Need a new vehicle that can, like the Pilot, carry 4 x 8 panels laid FLAT in the cargo bay between the wheel wells. (8 foot panels will, of course, extend beyond the tail gate which will need to be "bungeed" down.) Who can help me with WHICH SUVs (no vans, no trucks, please) can do the same. I'm quite sure Pilots thru 2011 CAN do it, but not sure where else to look. Thanks!

MartiDee

roger wiegand
11-04-2018, 8:45 AM
4x8 will both fit between the wheel wells and fully inside of a Suburban. I think Chevy/GMC still makes a shorter version of this SUV where they will lay flat but hang out the back. If you get the tailgate rather than barn door option they will lay on the tailgate and be supported.

David Bassett
11-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Not sure why this is in tech support... (I'm guessing it might be moved,) but:

4 x 8 Sheets Fit These Vehicles (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?218142-4x8-Sheets-Fit-These-Vehicles&goto=newpost) should help. (Note an awful lot of the current mini-van & SUV models are 47", or less, between the wheel wells.)

Jim Becker
11-04-2018, 2:33 PM
Best solution might be a small utility trailer which would allow you to buy a new vehicle that you like from a much larger pool of options rather than because it can fit the material. And yea...at this point, your options are pretty limited relative to width to "really big" beasts of vehicles. This was exactly the path I took when I gave up my pickup truck years ago in favor of a mid-size SUV that was more appropriate for family use.

Greg R Bradley
11-04-2018, 3:08 PM
I know you said "no trucks" but my 2017 Honda Ridgeline is exactly a Honda Pilot in the front seat are and almost exactly a Honda Pilot in the back seat area. It is 50" between the wheel wells, which are only 2" tall and the rest of the bed is 58" wide. The tailgate opens like a door so you can set heavy bulky stuff directly in the bed OR you can flip the tailgate down so that you can put a stack of plywood flat and the rear is supported by the tailgate.
Since it is more car than truck, it actually drives nice unlike all trucks. Of course, it isn't a truck if you want to put something really heavy in it and it isn't ideal for towing a big trailer. If you want an SUV for the enclosed luggage area in the back it isn't going to be good just like it won't be good for a bunch of people.
I would never tolerate driving any pickup for transportation but then we have a yard full of them when I need to haul something big, even up to ones that haul large dozers. If your 2004 Pilot was half as good as my 2006 Ridgeline was, I think you might understand why it is nice to not go far off that path, even considering a used Honda Pilot that will hold your plywood.
I take it the newer Pilots won't fit a sheet of ply laying down?

Matt Day
11-04-2018, 5:25 PM
Trailer and whatever car you want. Doesn’t seem like a good idea to base a large purchase like a car/suv solely on fitting a sheet of plywood. I’d put safety, performance, and day to day functionality way in front of that.

John K Jordan
11-04-2018, 6:28 PM
I agree with the trailer idea. Any car will pull a small trailer. Even though I have a Dodge 2500 deisei truck that hauls sheet goods fine, I often just hook up one of my trailers to the jeep.

Robert Cherry
11-04-2018, 7:41 PM
I use a 5x8 utility trailer. I only pick up materials a dozen times a year or so. Just need to watch the weather and pick up material on nice days!

Lee Schierer
11-04-2018, 9:08 PM
My 2012 Pilot hauls 4 x 8 sheets flat. There isn't much extra side space but they will lay flat.

Bill Dufour
11-04-2018, 9:47 PM
Compare the extra purchase price and fuel cost for a big vehicle vs a trailer and a smaller vehicle.
Bill D

Rich Engelhardt
11-05-2018, 4:19 AM
My alternative was to buy a Makita cordless track saw & and extra 55" section of track.
I simply break down the sheet goods into their finished sizes right at the supplier & load them into my RAV4.

Dom Garafalo
11-05-2018, 7:37 AM
My 2012 GMC Acadia SLE can fit 4' x 8' sheet goods flat between the wheel wells. I do it all the time and the lift gate closes to within a couple of inches so the end of the sheet is completely covered for year round transporting.

Jim Tobias
11-05-2018, 10:38 AM
This is exactly why I will always keep my 1998 GMC Suburban. Full sheets flat inside with closed doors . I treat that vehicle better than our other cars.

Jim

Robert Engel
11-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Not sure why the aversion to a pickup. A crew cab with a cap is almost an SUV.

Plus most of them have all the amenities and the ride, too. I guess it depends on the family situation.

To me, buying a trailer just to haul the occasional sheet of ply or lumber I would have to get that a lot of thought. How much will it be used?

Me, I'll stick with my '97 Powerstroke w/ full 8' bed :)

When I need to haul some logs I load them on my 16' flat bed and off we go....

Or if I go to the sawmill I don't have to worry about the load, either.

Jeff Heil
11-05-2018, 7:06 PM
I traded in my trusty but worn out pickup for a GMC Yukon SUV that is too nice to haul sheet goods inside. I sold my heavy duty 5x8 utility trailer to a buddy since I could not store it outside in my neighborhood and the boat takes up the third stall of the garage. My solution for the handful of times I need a trailer or pickup I rent one from U-haul for $20/day for a trailer or rent the pickup from Menards or Home Depot for $22 for 70 minutes. It has worked for me and might require buying more rough lumber or 4x8 sheet goods each trip. Just adding to your options. When we were building a house the truck and trailer were invaluable, but saw less use as of late. Paid the delivery charge of less that $100 and watched too college kids haul 70 sheets of drywall into my basement when we finished that last year, best money ever spent!

Curt Harms
11-07-2018, 7:05 AM
A trailer is a nice solution - - if you have a place to store it when not in use. In my case it wouldn't work, I live in a town house community so no place to put a trailer when not in use. I've had compact pickups since the mid '80s. SWMBO has an Explorer if we need the extra seats which is not common for us. Around here you can rent a full sized cargo van for $20/day so no weather or security concerns.

Jim Becker
11-07-2018, 8:46 AM
Curt, agree with you and it's consistent with what many of us have recommended. A utility trailer, owned or rented, or a rental is an economical way to transport materials without having to invest in a vehicle that might not be the best choice overall from a practical standpoint.

John K Jordan
11-07-2018, 10:16 AM
... A utility trailer, owned or rented, or a rental is an economical way to transport materials.

One possibly even more economical method: the friend or acquaintance with a truck or trailer! Hmm, seems like I'm usually that guy...

JKJ

Brian Henderson
11-07-2018, 10:17 AM
Curt, agree with you and it's consistent with what many of us have recommended. A utility trailer, owned or rented, or a rental is an economical way to transport materials without having to invest in a vehicle that might not be the best choice overall from a practical standpoint.

Assuming you have something you can tow it with, of course.

Jim Becker
11-07-2018, 10:34 AM

Yes, but almost any small to mid-sized SUV and similar size vehicles can handle a 4x8 or 5x8 utility trailer with no issues as long as they have a hitch receiver and a 4-pin electrical connection for a trailer. No brakes needed and most folks don't need a lot of weight capacity to pick up materials for woodworking.

Curt Harms
11-08-2018, 6:56 AM

Of course. I doubt it takes much to tow a 5 X 8 trailer though. Just for grins I put in Hyundai Accent (compact car I'd rented recently) and asked what trailer it would tow. If the hitch is adequate, it looks like it'd tow any of the small Uhaul trailers.

https://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/RatesTrailers

Roger Feeley
11-08-2018, 2:13 PM
This isn't available yet but it does illustrate whats in our future when electric vehicles take over.
Bollinger motors is a startup developing an all electric truck. The batteries are beneath the floorboards which means that there can be both front and back cargo. Somebody figure that they could stick lumber into the truck bed, let it go between the seats and into where the engine would be. They they thought, why not put a hatch in the front and let the wood stick out the front. Freaky.

Who knows if this thing will ever see the marketplace but it's interesting.

check out https://www.bollingermotors.com/

(https://www.bollingermotors.com/)