PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted Notifications

lowell holmes
11-03-2018, 5:41 PM
My computer is a Dell running Windows 10.

I am getting unwanted notifications. I don't know how they started. I imagine they piggy-backed on some site that showed up.

Does any of you know how to stop them. They are annoying.

Roy Petersen
11-03-2018, 6:45 PM
In what, a web browser? Which one (guessing Chrome)?

James Waldron
11-04-2018, 2:04 PM
How to get rid of them? Depends on what kind they are and where they come from; some may come from WIN 10, and you aren't going to get rid of those (and you should probably pay attention to them or consult someone who will; they are probably of some importance. The same is true of notifications from your installed software; something needs to be fixed or updated. Some may be ads for upgrades or other products. You may be able to turn those off somewhere in the program. Others appear in e-mails or pop-ups in your browser that can be things you agreed to receive from some web site you joined, or they may be pure spam. In that case, you need to get a pop-up blocker going on your browser and turn on a spam blocker on your e-mail.

If you're more specific about what notifications you are getting, more specific answers may be possible. The OP is so broad that nothing specific is possible.

Jim Koepke
11-04-2018, 7:13 PM
Many sites have asked if they can send me notifications. My answer is always NO! or to select Block.

Still sometimes by browser is a mirror of my mind. There are at least 20 open tabs, three of them have frozen and don't even ask me where the music is coming from.

jtk

Chris Parks
11-04-2018, 8:43 PM
I have had this in Chrome and if that is the case uninstall and re-install fixed my problems but as it has happened more that once I stopped using Chrome altogether. While it is uninstalled run a virus checker and CC Cleaner.

Lee Schierer
11-04-2018, 9:06 PM
Install Malwarebytes and scan your computer it is likely that you have some piece of malware that is running.