PDA

View Full Version : shhhh.....wait for it..................GLOAT!!!!

Brad Hammond
07-01-2003, 10:22 PM
hehe,
got the 17" grizzly bandsaw G0513 in today. man what a saw!
here's a lowdown dirty review.........
well packaged, overnight freight loaded it on the truck--hmm 6' tall package in the back of a toyota 4x4 tacoma-- i decided to lay it down and it transported fine. due to the packaging it was actually kinda hard to get to the saw, which is a good thing. no dents, no scratches, finish is great. table was flat and coated with cosmoline, of course. a little elbow grease took care of that. the table mounted easily without any problems, minor tweeking got the miter track parellel to the blade. most of the hand wheels were already mounted. the fence went on without a hitch and adjustment was no problem at all. tensioning and detensioning are a breeze. this was one of the selling points for me.
test cuts were very very good. i resawed an 9"x9"x 3' piece of red oak into 1" boards without any hesitation or bogging of the motor, keep in mind this is with the stock blade. curves and cross cuts were also flawless and effortless.
here were my reservations before ordering: aluminum trunnions, this was dismissed when i placed a 4'6" piece of birch that was 5" thick and 14" wide on it.........heavy slab. the table didn't budge while moving it around. i say it "was" 14" wide cause it got sawed up as well...lol
the stock blade, got 3 timberwolf blades on the way.
the mitre gauge, it's accurate and heavy.
so far i'd buy this saw again. i've pretty much put it through the roughest paces that i think i'd use it for and it's placed my doubts on the shelf. i'm reserving the majority of the resawing for the timberwolf blades. one more thing, the stock blade is 132" and i ordered the tw blades 131 1/2" per the recommendations of other owners i've contacted.
now if i could just get that hitachi 3hp router and new 1/2" shank bit set in i'd be set up, they should arrive thursday...................ooops .. was that a hidden gloat?
if anyone has any questions about the saw feel more that free to pm or email me.
hope this all makes sense......i'm still floating!
cya
brad

Lars Thomas
07-02-2003, 12:50 AM
That's exactly the saw I am going to order as soon as I get my basement finished - almost done. I'm jealous. If you have any thing else to share as you put the machine through a few paces, I'll be watching this thread.

Based on what I've read and machines I've touched, looks like you made a good choice. Congrats on the new saw. Lars

Mike Schwing
07-02-2003, 7:51 AM
Fantastic for you! Enjoy your new saw. Now to build that cool band saw table in the most recent WOOD magazine.....