PDA

View Full Version : Stroke Sander

Ron Hampe
11-02-2018, 7:22 PM
Had been looking for a drum sander, but now thinking a stroke sander may be a better idea.
What should I look for in one?

Thanks

Darcy Warner
11-02-2018, 7:27 PM
Had been looking for a drum sander, but now thinking a stroke sander may be a better idea.
What should I look for in one?

Thanks

Good luck finding an old one with the table that you can afford, they bring blood money anymore because people want the tables for other purposes.

Bruce Page
11-02-2018, 7:40 PM
Good luck finding an old one with the table that you can afford, they bring blood money anymore because people want the tables for other purposes.

A quick Google brought up stroke sander base converted into a “table” with 3 crude bleached wood planks. Asking price $9,500. Crazy!

Van Huskey
11-02-2018, 7:54 PM
A quick Google brought up stroke sander base converted into a “table” with 3 crude bleached wood planks. Asking price $9,500. Crazy!

It is like the old industrial carts, years ago you couldn't give them away and then they hit the upcyclers radar.

Bill Orbine
11-02-2018, 7:59 PM
I picked up a SCMI L55 stroke sander for $1,100 used. Great condition. Stroke sanders can be found cheap but most of them take up a lot of space. The best thing about the L55 is that it's an 8' table that takes up little space when not in use. It folds up in seconds. You need to master some skills and patience with such machine. Stroke sanders and drum sanders (or wide belt) are like apples and oranges. So choose wisely!

Darcy Warner
11-02-2018, 8:02 PM
I have an old German stroke sander, vacuum hold downs in the table, made for sanding veneers. Think it adjust by the 1/10 mm. It's still in a corner, unassembled though.

Carl Beckett
11-02-2018, 8:30 PM
One here for $350: https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/d/shaper-stroke-sander-lathe/6738798951.html

Another time a grizzly was on CL for $400

Seems like they are out there....

Kevin Jenness
11-02-2018, 8:31 PM
Stroke and drum sanders are very different beasts. What do you want to do with one or the other?

A drum sander (inferior to a wide belt but similar in concept) will handle a piece of any length with a small footprint. To do any significant stock removal by abrasion requires a lot of power- how much do you have available? It will produce a flat surface that needs further refinement to get ready to finish. Changing grits takes considerable time.

A stroke sander is more of a finish sanding machine, takes up more space and requires less power. Changing belts takes a couple of minutes. It is limited to the fixed size of its table. Old ones used to be a drug on the market, but I guess that has changed. Not too many people appreciate what you can accomplish with a stroke sander. They take a certain amount of skill. A real time saver if you are working with raw veneer.

Like Bill, I have a Mini-Max L55, whose compact fold-up design works great in my small shop. I got it for $650 plus a serious road trip. I have a wide-belt available only a few miles away so I don't need to invest in one.

Martin Wasner
11-02-2018, 9:07 PM
I have an old German stroke sander, vacuum hold downs in the table, made for sanding veneers. Think it adjust by the 1/10 mm. It's still in a corner, unassembled though.

I keep thinking I should get a stroke sander for sanding the outsides of assembled dovetail drawer boxs. 2' of useable sanding area is all I'd need, so I'm guessing my options, outside of having a new one custom made, are fairly limited

Peter Christensen
11-02-2018, 9:30 PM
Have a look on Ebay. There are a few nice ones in your area. I'd love to have one but am spatially challenged. I could get more use out of one if it tilted to be an edge sander like the one Grizzly sells.

Ron Hampe
11-02-2018, 9:42 PM
[QUOTE=Carl Beckett;2862206]One here for $350: https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/d/shaper-stroke-sander-lathe/6738798951.html

Good price!
I bought my cnc from a fellow in Nashua NH back in May, but it was a long drive and I'm not anxious to go that far again. .

Darcy Warner
11-02-2018, 9:56 PM
Found a picture of mine before I took it apart. 395968
Interesting pattern on the floor.

Ron Hampe
11-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Thanks I like the Boice Crane that's on E-bay but its in Rhode Island. Also like that Grizzly combo, but its too pricey as are the only two closer ones on E-bay and I just bought a nice Delta edge sander with a 6" x 132" belt.

Ron Hampe
11-02-2018, 10:29 PM

I was looking for something just a bit smaller than that beast!

Bruce Page
11-02-2018, 11:17 PM

Darcy Warner
11-02-2018, 11:49 PM

Light shining through the table, think it was the only light in that room that worked.

Warren Lake
11-03-2018, 1:02 AM
made my first one, had a new Progress machine second, 8 foot, hated raising the table was happy to see it go, next an Italian one. All the old guys I know had them and id never be without one. You will need to develop a feel likely more than most machines. Good touch and feel you can do good work, bad feel and you can do good damage. Typical auction prices say about five Italian ones were about 650.00 can. Last one well up at around 2k or bit more so maybe people are waking up.

You want open ends then you are not limited to material length, id want a power table as well. Some of the Italian ones like mine will have a fan built in on one end as well so all three of those features.

Joe Calhoon
11-03-2018, 9:04 AM
I had a 10’ Samco lever arm for years before getting a WBS. If I had the space would have kept it. Only downsides are footprint and they are not a calibrating machine. Great for panels and will do frames once you get the feel and light touch.
probably one of the most pleasant machines to operate.

Warren Lake
11-03-2018, 11:09 AM
some brochure info. Mine the last one

Dana Pionek
08-31-2019, 2:16 PM
Just a heads up for the OP. If you are still looking for a stroke sander there is a nice compact oliver stroke sander located in PA that was just listed for sale on vintagemachinery.org. I have an example of that same machine and it has performed really well for me (the only downside is that you are limited in depth by the layout of the machine - you are sanding between the drums as apposed to under them). If space is limited and want an industrial machine you would be hard pressed to do better than the oliver 298.

I would have PMed you instead of posting a public reply, but the PM function does not appear to have been enabled on my account. BTW - I am not the seller of said machine - I just happened to have come across this old post and thought you might be interested.

Matt Day
08-31-2019, 2:55 PM
Dana,
You need to be a Contributor to use PM’s. That requires a $6 minimum donation to the site per year. A small sum for the knowledge gained in my opinion.

Edward Dyas
08-31-2019, 4:57 PM
A Beach stroke sander is the best. It's two pedestals you can set up any size that fits your shop. I have a Mattison #155 stroke sander and it's all one piece. Not only am I restricted to the size it's too heavy to move around. When I bought it, it took me 4 days to get it off the trailer. I got mine for $250.00. Had to drive 200 miles to get it an install a phase converter but was well worth it.

I think you will like a stroke sander. once you get use to it you can sand the rails and stiles on cabinet doors with little or no cross grain. Just be prepared for the dust. I have a dedicated duct collector just for the sander.

Mark e Kessler
09-04-2019, 10:29 PM
I had a small SCMI in the late 90's I was doing a lot of veneered panels with solid edge, takes skill to stroke sand 2" solid maple edge against a field of mahogany...I will never admit it but I heard I never mastered it. is a on trick pony that stakes up a bit of space

mark