PDA

View Full Version : Tilt on old Rockwell Unisaw

Howard Henderson
11-02-2018, 2:01 PM
I have an older red tag Rockwell Delta unisaw and for some reason I can’t get the blade to tilt a complete 45 degrees.

It will get within a half a degree before it gets tight. I’ve adjusted the set screw that looks like the stop screw for it by turning it in quite a bit but it doesn’t seem to help. If I force the adjustment wheel further, it starts “hopping the threads”.

i took the top off to make sure I could see everything, but can’t see what I’m missing.

I’m not sure what this guide hook in the pic is supposed to do. It seems loose, but I can’t see that it would help my tilting problems.

thanks for any advice,
Howard

Geoff Crimmins
11-02-2018, 2:27 PM
I would check to see if any of the gear teeth are clogged with old sawdust. Also check to see if any of the shaft collars on the tilt shaft are loose or have moved out of position.

Matt Day
11-02-2018, 2:45 PM
Try removing the set “screw”, which is really a bolt. I personally don’t like it to stop at the set 45, but would rather be able to go a little past. I set the blade each time I rarely tilt it anyway.

Howard Henderson
11-02-2018, 10:45 PM
Ok, thanks for the info.

but just for curiosity, what IS that hook for? And should it be tight?

and also, should it be able to jump the threads if I really crank on the tilt wheel?

the two bolts holding the bracket the crankshaft rides in were missing, so the outer bracket just spun in the shaft, but the mechanism works smoothly and properly until it gets to the end. The missing bolts made me wonder if the PO had been messing with that and has something not quite right. I DID replace the two bolts.

thanks,
Howard

Bill Orbine
11-03-2018, 9:06 PM
The tilt mechanism should not jump the threads! You should not have to "REALLY" crank the tilt wheel. The tilting mechanism should work with little effort except at the dead stops 0 and 45 degrees that would feel like lightly tighten a nut with a wrench. You should look into this. If you need a manual, you can visit OWWM website and look download manuals and parts list of the saw so you can find out what's amiss. You can take the table off so you can see easily what's going on when you crank the tilt.