PDA

View Full Version : New vice? vise?

Jim Dunn
11-28-2005, 11:07 PM
I just mounted a new vice and am wanting to place a Jack? on one side of it. Want it to be integral with the bench. Any ideas??:confused::confused:

Jeff Horton
11-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I used a sliding deadman on mine and I am well pleased with it.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/temp/bench_front.JPG

There is a good article on this here. http://www.woodcraft.com/articleprint.aspx?ArticleID=359

Jerry Palmer
11-30-2005, 7:41 AM
Jeff,
I'm thinking of adding a leg vice to my bench when I replace the not so great front vise, as well as a crochet. Wondering how you like yours and if you would recommend that as opposed to a regular front vise. It seems the added depth above the screw would be beneficial along with a deadman.

Jim Dunn
11-30-2005, 8:13 AM
Thanks Jeff for the article and taking the time to read older posts. I thought mine was lost in cyber space.:)

Jeff Horton
11-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks Jeff for the article and taking the time to read older posts......

WOW, just noticed the date. I don't read this groups but every couple of weeks but it showed up as a new post. And I know it was that long since I was here!

Jeff Horton
11-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Jeff,
I'm thinking of adding a leg vice to my bench .... would recommend that as opposed to a regular front vise.

I love mine! It's an old one I picked up on Ebay. It was way cheaper than the good Columbia vices were going for at that time. And I like old stuff so it really appealed to me. I like to imagine it belonged to some turn of the century furniture maker and that I am some how carrying on it's tradition. :D

My only complaints had to do with improper mounting of it. I broke the first mounts that are shown in the photo. It just ripped the glue joints apart. I remounted it directly to the base but I got the hole a bit larger than the nut and that caused it to sag. When I tightened it up it would try to lift the table top. Just a couple of weeks ago I remounted it again and got it right this time. Now it works perfectly. It has a lot of clamping force and it would be really cheap to make one from scratch. All you need is the screw and nut. The rest is just wood from your shop. If you need some photos just let me know.

Oh yea, one other thing I want to change. I don't like the metal pipe handle. It's to heavy and when it slides down it will pinch your hand good! DAMHIKT. As soon as I get my lathe going I am going to turn a wood handle.

Alan Turner
12-01-2005, 5:35 AM
Jeff,
A drawknife and a broken bat (or hwatever) will suffice also. I sort of like my vise handles to be faceted, just for the feel. Leave one side a bit too large, and then carve a shoulder in; use a cross dowel, well rounded in the other side as a keeper. Just a neanderthal thought.

Jerry Palmer
12-01-2005, 7:36 AM
Thanks, Jeff. I think I'm gonna make mine with one of the screws available through LV, though a vintage one would be nicer to have.

Jeff Horton
12-01-2005, 9:07 AM
If you need some photos or dimensions just email me. I would be glad to do it.

Jim Dunn
12-01-2005, 5:11 PM
Jeff PM me and I'll take those pic's of your leg vice. May not build it right away but it will be nice to have when I do. Thanks again,

Jim

James Mittlefehldt
12-01-2005, 7:22 PM
Thanks, Jeff. I think I'm gonna make mine with one of the screws available through LV, though a vintage one would be nicer to have.

Jerry if you have not already done so check flea markets and antique malls I have seen at least half a dozen leg vises in the last few years, some with wooden screws, and rarely more than fifty dollars. That said if all you can find are metal screws you might as well build your own, I believe the Work Bench book may have dimensions of at least one.

Jerry Palmer
12-01-2005, 7:39 PM
This neck of the woods is nearly totally devoid of old tools and the folks that do have a few at the antique places are overly proud of the ones they have.

I was thinkin of this one from LV.

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/clamps/70g0152s2.jpg

17" long. I believe that was the one used on the bench in Woodworking Magazine for the leg vise. The pic above as well as the drawings in the magazine give me plenty to work with, but thanks for the offer of the pics.