PDA

View Full Version : Jointer table scratch

Chris Johnson
11-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought a new jointer and today put a scratch in the nice shiny table. Any ideas on how to get it out. Also you can feel the scratch and I worry about it damaging stock being fed through the jointer.

Thank you
Chris

John Miliunas
11-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Chris, first of all, Welcome to the Creek!:D

Secondly, it's the same scratch pretty much all of us have!!!:D Yeah, I know...Kind of a bummer on a brand new piece of equipment but, it's pretty much law that it will happen. If it's a real deep scratch, you're not going to get it out unless you have the entire table milled and or scraped. If you feel a slight burr on the surface, take some 0000 steel wool to it while giving it a shot of WD40 to knock down the burr. Once done with that, clean the surface with some denatured alcohol and wax it up. It won't hurt the performance of the machine, nor will it hurt the material passing over it. For now, you've got your "first" scratch. Big deal. There will be more, trust me! Clean it up and enjoy the tool!:) :cool:

David LaRue
11-28-2005, 10:42 PM
It's always better when YOU put the 1st scratch in a new tool than someone else. Consider youself lucky. :) Now go make something with that new tool!

Jamie Buxton
11-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Do you have a sander? Go after the scratch with that. You'll wear out the paper faster than if you were sanding wood, but it will sand the steel.