PDA

View Full Version : Metal c brackets to support large panel??

BrianD King
10-31-2018, 6:43 PM
Hello,

I’m in the process of gluing up a panel for what will be a 48” round walnut kitchen table at 1.25” thick. Boards are 5.5” (ish) wide. The panel wider than usual for me. I’m using five 8mm X 50mm dominos for alignment and strength. The wood is kiln dried and actually pretty straight.

My question is whether it’s advisable to rout out a couple channels on the underside of the panel where I can screw metal C brackets to keep the panel more stable from cupping.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Brian

Lee Schierer
10-31-2018, 6:51 PM
The best thing you can do is apply equal amounts of finish to all surfaces so that moisture changes take time and are uniform. Make sure your material has acclimated to your work area before you start working on it. If you cut off any pieces, check the moisture content on the surface and at the center of the thickness on he freshly cut piece. If they differ, you might want to give them more time to adjust. Even kiln dried lumber needs time to adjust to a new environment. While processing your round panel never leave it leaning against a wall or laying flat on a work bench for any length of time. Make sure air can circulate on both sides when you are not working on it.

Jamie Buxton
10-31-2018, 8:37 PM
If you add metal bracing, you must make sure that the connection between the metal and the wood has some sliding ability. The wood is going to grow and shrink across the grain, in an annual cycle, in response to changes in atmospheric humidity. The steel will not change. If you screw the steel to the wood without allowing the wood to move, you will almost guarantee that the table top will cup.