PDA

View Full Version : New Pony Jorgensen Clamps

Barry W. Larson
10-31-2018, 3:04 PM
Hi:
Has anyone seen the offerings from the new owners of Pony Jorgensen? What are your thoughts on the quality vs the old company?
Thanks,
Barry W. Larson

glenn bradley
10-31-2018, 4:19 PM
Who are they? Link?

Barry W. Larson
10-31-2018, 5:25 PM
https://ponyjorgensen.com

I believe they are the folks that took over the old Adjustable Clamp Company. According the the website they are based in New Jersey, but I assume the manufacturing is offshore - but perhaps they are still US made?
Thanks,
Barry

Dave Sweeney
10-31-2018, 5:48 PM
As I didn't see any mention of Made in USA anywhere I looked on the site I'm gonna take a wild guess and say no, they are not Made in USA. :rolleyes:

Barry W. Larson
10-31-2018, 6:15 PM
That's what I assumed as well. Now, has anyone seen these new versions in the wild and can comment on the quality?
Thanks,
Barry

Mike Kees
10-31-2018, 8:31 PM
I looked at some yesterday. The heavier bar clamps did not look as good to me. However the smaller F style look just about the same. I would buy one and use it to really compare. Mike.

Larry Frank
11-01-2018, 7:42 PM
I contacted Jorgensen and they are made in China.

Mike Kees
11-01-2018, 9:15 PM
After I posted the other day ,I looked at my collection at the shop and I actually have about 6-7 of these clamps . As far as I can tell they are just as good. Mine have orange and black rubber insert handles which I prefer to the hardwood of the old ones. Mike.

Jason Lester
11-01-2018, 9:38 PM
After I posted the other day ,I looked at my collection at the shop and I actually have about 6-7 of these clamps . As far as I can tell they are just as good. Mine have orange and black rubber insert handles which I prefer to the hardwood of the old ones. Mike.

They actually switched to those handles a few years before they sold out. When Home Depot closed out the last of the USA clamps, I bought a bunch of them.

William Hodge
11-01-2018, 9:58 PM
Here's a link to Amazon for 3/4" pipe clamps. I couldn't see it in the link from the pony site.

Thank you for posting this. I have a job coming up that requires more clamps than I own.

https://www.amazon.com/PONY-50-Clamp-Fixture-Black/dp/B0000224C9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541123524&sr=8-1&keywords=pony+pipe+clamp+3%2F4

Mike Kees
11-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Jason I looked at those clamps closely,no made in U.S.A. on them anywhere so I am not sure if they are the newer ones or not. I think I bought them about a year ago.

Bill Orbine
11-01-2018, 10:58 PM
All my wood handle Jorgensen clamps have the made in USA stamped on the bar. Before Jorgesen went belly-up a few years ago, Home Depot began selling the plastic handle Jorgensen clamps, I was quick to notice that there was no country of origin stamped or printed anywhere on the clamp. I did catch "Made in China" on few of the removable tags. So I believe almost all of the plastic handle clamps are not from USA.

Mike Kees
11-02-2018, 12:34 AM
Bill I think you are right. FWIW they have worked just like the other ones for me. I did buy some of them at Home Depot and the others at "Big R" in Great Falls MT. I do not worry about country of origin as long as the quality level I desire is displayed in the product. I do however have quite a few older American made' Jorgeson' clamps that are not for sale.

Barry W. Larson
11-02-2018, 9:44 PM
I managed to find a tool supplier here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada that is handling the new Pony Jorgensen clamps. The reason I asked about them on this news group is I didn't expect to find them here at least not yet. They are indeed made in China - that's what all the tags indicated. The store had the 3/4 and 1/2 inch pipe clamps, the light and medium duty bar clamps (with the plastic as opposed to wooden handles) and some of the heavy duty Jorgensen bar clamps. As far as I could see the clamps looked to be of good quality. The acme threads were well formed and the castings were as good as my US made clamps. The HD bar clamps appeared to be plated or at least polished up a bit - maybe a bit nicer than my older Jorgensen clamps which have rougher looking bars. I'm pretty well stocked up on the US made clamps I need, but I am interested in the canvas band clamps which are supposed to be re-introduced the end of the month. I always seem to be at least one short of these 🙂! Thanks to all who responded. Greatly appreciated.
Barry

Martin Wasner
11-02-2018, 10:27 PM
I need to setup another clamp bucket. I think I'm going try Yost

Mike Kees
11-02-2018, 11:10 PM
Barry what store in Calgary ? The ones I looked at the other day were at KMS tools.

Barry W. Larson
11-02-2018, 11:58 PM
Yes, KMS Tools.
Cheers,
Barry

Brian Henderson
11-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Here's a link to Amazon for 3/4" pipe clamps. I couldn't see it in the link from the pony site.

Thank you for posting this. I have a job coming up that requires more clamps than I own.

https://www.amazon.com/PONY-50-Clamp-Fixture-Black/dp/B0000224C9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541123524&sr=8-1&keywords=pony+pipe+clamp+3%2F4

I love how in the ad, it says "Made in the USA or imported" and "manufactured in China". I guess that means it isn't made in the USA, huh?

William Hodge
11-03-2018, 2:55 PM
I love how in the ad, it says "Made in the USA or imported" and "manufactured in China". I guess that means it isn't made in the USA, huh?

I did notice these that these clamps are made in China. I do buy US made stuff, even if it costs mores. For example, I buy Starrett tools. If there is a similar US made clamp, I would buy it. I need clamps that can deliver a lot of force for gluing up doors and laminated posts.

Bob Grier
11-04-2018, 9:03 AM
TheHardwareCity web site has the 6 pac of Pony 50 3/4 for quite a bit less than they sell it on Amazon. Includes free shipping, at least to me.

Nick Decker
11-04-2018, 1:20 PM
Many of the Starrett tools are now made in China. Still good, IMO, just sayin'.

Dave Lehnert
11-04-2018, 5:23 PM
The assets have been purchased by Great star, (http://www.greatstartools.com/en/about.asp?info_kind=004003)based in Hangzhou, China.
Info from link below.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/greatstar-industrial-acquires-adjustable-clamp-company/

Barry W. Larson
11-04-2018, 5:44 PM
Thanks Dave. A good article on the demise and resurrection of Pony Jorgensen.
Cheers,
Barry

Arek Kosinski
11-27-2018, 3:16 PM
Rockler has these on sale now 2 6 inch and 2 12 inch for 25$. I don't need these small ones but those HD look pretty damn sexy. I might buy 2 to test in near future I have a clamp fetish and want to have nice looking clamps. I'm debating these or some clutchless Bessey but 2 1/2 inch throat depth not the 4 inch since these are smaller and just lighter .
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-TGJ-Series-24-in-Bar-Clamp-with-Composite-Plastic-Handle-and-2-1-2-in-Throat-Depth-TGJ2-524-2K/205402804
anyone has used these?

Mike Kees
11-27-2018, 9:18 PM
I bought 10 new pipe clamps (Pony) 3/4'' ,they are pretty well exactly like the U.S. made ones except the handles are slightly thicker. I am sure they will be around and useable long after I am gone.Mike.

William Hodge
11-27-2018, 9:46 PM
Many of the Starrett tools are now made in China. Still good, IMO, just sayin'.

I agree, they started by making stuff in North Carolina decades ago. Now they make stuff in Brazil and China. They still make a lot of stuff in Athol, Massachusetts. I don't know how many people work there, but I know a lot of people that have worked there for years.

Kory Cassel
11-28-2018, 5:47 AM
I bought all the Jorgensen and pony clamps I could find locally back when I heard US production shut down. Ended up with a few of the Chinese ones in the swoop. They're ok. Definitely better than the Besseys I have which feature porous castings and voids on the inside surfaces. The actual US Jorgensens had the finest finish on the castings but the Chinese ones seem to be an attempt at maintaining a slightly upscale offering compared to the Besseys. The 3/4" HD Pro pipe clamps are a bit cumbersome to me with their heavy separate feet but once again, slightly better quality castings compared to the other Chinese clamps on the market. I like the new plastic handled bar clamps, the bars are not plated as nice as the US ones but the heads and screw threads are ok. The fatter plastic handles are more comfortable in my hand than the wood ones are. I've always preferred the Bessey clamp pads, the US Jorgensen ones were too soft and the new Chinese ones are the same. Nonetheless, I personally have a shop full of orange clamps with a couple of red ones here and there FWIW.

Bryan Cramer
11-28-2018, 2:16 PM
I would hope they are of better quality but their new aluminum bar clamps look identical to Harbor Freight's.

Ed Edwards
11-28-2018, 4:40 PM
This is the response I received, when I asked.

Hello,
In what country are the most recent clamps being manufactured?
And, who owns Pony Jorgensen currently?
Thank You,
Ed

The Pony Jorgensen line is manufactured in China. We are owned by GreatStar.

VonMari Vargas
Customer Service Lead
271 Mayhill Street, Saddle Brook, NJ 07663
T. 201-843-6900 Ext. 267
F. 201-843-3911