PDA

View Full Version : Walnut NE bowl

Travis Stinson
11-28-2005, 9:16 PM
This is my 1st piece from some Walnut I scored on after the hurricane. Not many grow in this area, and I almost caused a pile-up when I saw it pushed up next to the road on my way in from work. The cleanup crews were in the area, so the chainsaw went to work with me the next day. Got permission from the landowner and roped it all off then came back at lunch and cut up 2 truckloads that came home with me that evening.;)
Roughed and alky soaked, it finished out at 18" diameter by 9" deep. Watco finish, just got it buffed.

Jim Ketron
11-28-2005, 9:35 PM
Wow Thats a Monster size NE!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Love the form and the finish looks Great!

Bob Noles
11-28-2005, 9:51 PM
Travis,

Those are really nice.... I can hardly wait to figure out how in the world you can do something like that on a lathe.

Nice job and thanks for sharing.

John Hart
11-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Holy Cow! Monster is right! And such a gorgeous monster at that. Wonderful piece Travis!!!:) :)

Andy Hoyt
11-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Was looking and looking and looking trying to find something to find fault with; and finally had success. There's a piece of lint on the drape.:D

Once again Travis, you make me feel like a clump of crabgrass in a Redwood forest.

John Miliunas
11-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Just marvelous, Travis! I love the shape and you certainly retained a large portion of the bark. Great job! (I seem to "lose" a lot of my bark when doing NE's!):rolleyes: Thanks for yet another great form!:) :cool:

Carole Valentine
11-28-2005, 11:03 PM
What a gorgeous piece, Travis! And then I looked at the size....that baby is huge!:D

Ernie Nyvall
11-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Wow Travis, that's really nice and a whole bunch of bark to worry about keeping on. Very good job.

Ernie

Mark Cothren
11-29-2005, 7:15 AM
That's a great NE, Travis! Almost makes me want to turn some more BW... almost, I said... ;)

Thanks for the pictures!

Jeremiah Jordan
11-29-2005, 7:20 AM
That looks fantastic Travis. Good save on your part :) .

Jeremiah

Dick Parr
11-29-2005, 9:02 AM
That is one beautiful NE Travis. Wonderful job, it looks smooth as silk.;)