PDA

View Full Version : Considering Grizzly GO833P 10" Table Saw - Would like other owners comments

john brady
10-30-2018, 1:35 PM
Hello all!

I want to replace my aging table saw, and I'm looking at the saws in the $1,000 range. After comparing several saws in this range, I'm considering purchasing the Grizzly GO833P. I would appreciate hearing comments from other GO833P owners on how satisfied they were with their purchase decision. Additionally, I have a few specific questions I'd like to ask about the saw (see below).

Most of what I do now is on the lathe,but I do do some flat wood projects now and then. So I won't use this table saw near as much as I use to. But my current saw is almost 20 years old and was pretty basic, so I'd like to replace it with something that has a few of the newer features such as 220v, quieter belt drive motor and better dust collection. I also have a radial arm saw that I like to use for crosscutting, so I think I'd be well satisfied with this saw. I originally considered the Grizzly GO771Z, but like the few nicer features the GO833P offers (fence, separate riving knife and dust collection) and think it would be worth the additional cost.

Some specific questions I'd like to ask other owners are:

1. How well does the dust collection work?

2. How do you like the GO833P's FENCE SYSTEM?

3. Looking into the future-- can the GO833P be upgraded with a Biesemeyer fence?

4. I'm assuming you can add a ROUTER TABLE on the right side, but none of the Grizzly extensions that I could see seem to list as fitting this saw model?

5. How do you like the GO833P overall?

Thanks in advance for your help. If I missed anything I should consider, any other additional comments or suggestions are welcome!

Cordially...John

Brian Nguyen
10-30-2018, 2:19 PM
I have had a G0833P for a year now, so I can chime in and answer some of your questions:

1. How well does the dust collection work? One a scale from 1-10, I'd give dust collection around a 7. The overarm hose connecting to the blade guard will pick up some additional dust as compared to just under-table collection, but don't expect strong airflow to grab everything.

2. How do you like the GO833P's FENCE SYSTEM? It comes with a T-style aluminum fence that you can reposition to rip thin stock. Once dialed in, the fence is solid and does not move. Adjustments are easy peasy. The thing that I don't like, and it's not just this saw's fence system, is the bloody telescoping view into the rule. Do I stand in front of it and look down? To the side? If the indicator is lower and hover just above the ruler tape, then I feel like it'd be more accurate and less aggravating, at least to me.

3. Looking into the future-- can the GO833P be upgraded with a Biesemeyer fence? Sure, why not? Though I don't think you'd need to upgrade as the current fence seems good enough to me.

4. I'm assuming you can add a ROUTER TABLE on the right side, but none of the Grizzly extensions that I could see seem to list as fitting this saw model? The table size is standard size with pre-drilled holes. You just need to compare the size of the extension table.

5. How do you like the GO833P overall? For the price that I had paid ($900 to my door), and the fact that this is just a hobby for me, the G0833P is more than adequate. I'd buy it again.

Orlando Gonzalez
11-02-2018, 11:38 PM
I have it and a I am very happy with it. Likje Brian, I'm a hobbyist and this swa does everything I need. However, there are things I'm going to change on it.

1. I'm getting a Shark Guard for it. The dust collection on it is better than the OEM one since it has a 2-1/2" port on top of the guard.
2. I find the OEM system to be a PITA and lacking. I'm installing new 4" fittings, inside and outside the cabinet, to eliminate the outlet for the guard's dust collection hose. Look inside the cabinet and you'll see that the dust hood's hose is attached to a 4" extension inside the cabinet. The 4" fitting is one piece.
3. I installed Leecraft ZCI, but you have to modify it somewhat to make it fit. Not difficult but you will need a router, bushing, and a 1/4" spiral bit.
4. Changed the OEM fence for this one - https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_unifence.html - allows me to use hold downs and other accessories. The OEM one doesn't. The Grizz tech guys don't know why the designers went with this fence.
5. Went with 12g power cable rather than the 14g it comes with.

You could always make your own router table if you can't find one. Google search it and you may come up with something.

john brady
11-03-2018, 3:10 PM
Well, this is my THIRD attempt at trying to add another reply to my post. I lost the first one this morning after the power went out just before I was ready to post. Then I lost it again when I tried to post it and the site timed me out and I had to log back in again where I subsequently lost the link (anyone know why the site will give you a link for your post reply after it logs you back in, but then only shows you a BLANK page (as in the link example below)? Sometimes I can use the "page back" button and retrieve my post, other 99% of the time I just lose it. Very frustrating.

https://sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=268899

But anyway-- Thanks Brian and Orlando for replying to my post! I appreciate your feedback!

Router Table Extension... I have a hand-made extension on my current saw, but it's shorter (in depth) than the GO833P's top, so it won't fit. I thought I'd consider getting a cast iron extension this time, but the cost is hard to accept when I already have the router plate and material to make another one. So I think I'll wait on that.

Motor questions... I realized I didn't include any questions about the motor:
Do you find the 2HP motor's power sufficient?
Is the belt-drive motor fairly quiet?
Is it a "soft-start" motor?

Reduced Sale price... I went to the site while I was working on this post, and found that they dropped the sale price lower again (I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post it). So if anyone was considering this saw, you might want to get it today (I placed my order before finishing this post). I ended up using the additional savings on the sales tax and the additional "tail-gate" delivery, but I would have had to pay those anyway. So I think I got a good deal today.

Thanks again for your help!

Cordially...John

Brian Nguyen
11-03-2018, 11:21 PM
Do you find the 2HP motor's power sufficient? This is hard to answer since I don't know what your definition of "sufficient" is, compared to mine. For me, I can rip 8/4 maple and walnut with my Forrest combination blade at decent speed, and with my Forrest rip blade at normal to even fast speed. Both blades are full kerf. That's sufficient enough for me, but I'm not a cabinet shop and I don't cut 8/4 stock all day.

Is the belt-drive motor fairly quiet? It's the same hum as any other hybrid/cabinet saw that I've had.

Is it a "soft-start" motor? I don't believe so--the blade speeds up instantly as far as i can tell.

Router table extension: Why not just make a router table cabinet that fit the space? It'll give you storage underneath as well. I don't think it's necessary to bolt the router top to the saw, just slide the router table cabinet in and level it with leveling feet. Then you can use the TS fence.