PDA

View Full Version : preserving spalted maple

Ron Journeau
11-28-2005, 6:51 PM
I just received a 12 '' diameter chunk of spalted maple, just cut down last week. It looks a tad soft or punky, but the spalting (my first piece) :D looks spectacular, and I don't want to lose it. Other than the regular end seal or old paint to prevent checking, is there anything else i can do to keep it in good shape until I am able to turn it? :confused:

Loy Hawes
11-28-2005, 7:21 PM
I have never tried it but I hear freezing works.

John Shuk
11-28-2005, 8:34 PM
The rotting process should stop once you start to let it dry. I have a nicely splated burl that was a little punky that I treated with Minwax wood hardener. You can get it at Home Depot and it seems to have soaked in quite a ways. I have yet to turn the piece. It should do a nice job of encpsulating any critters who might be in there as well.

Ernie Nyvall
11-28-2005, 11:18 PM
The rotting process should stop once you start to let it dry. I have a nicely splated burl that was a little punky that I treated with Minwax wood hardener. You can get it at Home Depot and it seems to have soaked in quite a ways. I have yet to turn the piece. It should do a nice job of encpsulating any critters who might be in there as well.

Yes, the minwax works good. I've also read where you can mix 50/50 water and white glue for this purpose, but I'm not sure how far that mix will soak in where the minwax wood hardner goes deep.

Ernie

Jeremiah Jordan
11-29-2005, 7:10 AM
I have had some spalted maple my dad cut down sheesh, like three or four years ago. After finals are done, I am going to open it up to see how many pen blanks i can lay my hands on. I am just wondering if I should coat them in minwax before i turn them?

Thanks.

John Shuk
11-29-2005, 3:53 PM
If they don't feel too punky I'd hold off.