PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Bottle Opener with Wire Inlay

Steven Harrison
10-29-2018, 2:23 PM

This is a piece of black walnut that my grandpa gave me. He had a chunk for a long time from an old tree they used to have. I'm sending this opener back to my grandpa, who raises and races horses, hence the horseshoe that I inlaid using wire. When he gave it to me it still had the bark and everything on it. After I cut this piece off, some small surface checks opened up. I used Starbond medium-thick adhesive in black to fill them. It has three magnets on the back so that it can be stuck to a fridge and still catch caps. I also recessed a keyhole plate into the back in case he wanted to mount it on a wall. The wood was a little wormy, so I left one of the trails on the back for character. I finished it with Arm R Seal. Fun little project and they make great gifts.

Frederick Skelly
10-29-2018, 8:50 PM
Nice job. Grandpa will love it!

Is that a shadow on the front, or is there a difference in how the Arm r Seal soaked in across the face?

Steven Harrison
10-29-2018, 9:11 PM
Nice job. Grandpa will love it!

Is that a shadow on the front, or is there a difference in how the Arm r Seal soaked in across the face?

Thanks! That would be my shadow/reflection. I used gloss and didn't realize how hard it would be to get a good picture.