PDA

View Full Version : Horsing Around

Bruce Volden
10-28-2018, 6:51 PM
Went out to do chores this AM. Uh-oh horse out! Uh-oh, 11" long gash on R shoulder!
Told the daughter (her horses) and she was debating calling a vet in. ~$500!

Since I was a medic in the Army in the dawn of the 70's I thought we should handle it.
The gash only broke the hide and negligibly the muscle.

Got out the super glue (thick viscosity) and started gluing an inch at a time and applying accelerant.
Of course this was all after we cleaned the wound and applied salve. Taped it up, put on a shoulder pad
quick shot of penicillin and all was fine.

Daughter took some photos before/after and is pleased! I gotta have her show me how to
get them off her phone and onto my PC cuz I know--no pics, never happened.:confused:
Now I'm a real "Vet" in more than one way??

Bruce

Jim Becker
10-28-2018, 7:00 PM
'Glad you were able to handle that, Bruce. Do keep a close eye on it in case an infection does take hold or the glue is insufficient to keep things together...you might still need the equine vet for that.

Peter Kelly
10-29-2018, 4:49 PM
Might want to get a tube of 3M Vetbond in the event this happens again. Topical use only.

John K Jordan
10-29-2018, 6:02 PM
Might want to get a tube of 3M Vetbond in the event this happens again. Topical use only.

We use the Vetbond too. When shearing llamas and alpacas occasionally one moves at the wrong time and gets a cut through the skin. (skin on those is extremely thin!) Only once was a cut bad enough to need stitches (and I'm glad I wasn't doing the shearing at the time!) We've used normal CA before but for some reason the vetbond seems to work better, or maybe it just seems like it. Expensive stuff, though.

11" gash is a long one!
I was visiting friends once when one of their horses got a bad cut on the leg, into the muscle. Couldn't have happened at a better place or time - both the friends are vets and they had two mobile vet trucks right there!

JKJ

Peter Kelly
10-29-2018, 6:28 PM
It's also anti-microbial. Dermabond is another one which I believe is formulated similarly.