PDA

View Full Version : Considering Converting Disston No. 7 Crosscut to Rip

Kurtis Johnson
10-28-2018, 4:41 PM
I have a project full-length 26" No. 7 Disston crosscut being delivered that, if sound, I'm considering converting to rip cut. I'm wondering about structural integrity and useability of such a convert, especially considering blade thickness.

My main question is were premium Disston's blade's guaged thicker for rip cut than crosscut from the factory? The reason I wonder is I have a No. 16 rip that's thicker at the back taper (but same at the teeth due to a fast taper) and feels stiffer that my crosscut No. 12s and D-8s. I want to know that my No. 7 would be be up to task before I do something foolish.

(And just to note, I do know the No. 7 handles were different between the two types of cuts. I may create a new rip handle.)

Pete Taran
10-28-2018, 8:39 PM
I've done this operation countless thousands of times. There will be no issues assuming you posses the skill to do the retoothing and can file it properly. Disston didn't have as crosscut blank and a rip blank. They had one blank and cut whatever teeth they needed at the time.

lowell holmes
10-28-2018, 9:25 PM
I agree with Pete, I have filed the tooth line flat on two saws, taped a paper pattern with the tooth count to the side of the saw plate, and then filed new teeth.
You need to educate your self fleem and set. It is a fun trip.

Stew Denton
10-28-2018, 10:21 PM
Kurtis,

One more with Pete. My best and favorite rip was one I had converted from a cross cut. I had plenty of crosscuts, because back in the day you could buy them for a song at garage sales, and the overwhelming number of them were crosscuts. I needed another rip so picked a good crosscut and had it converted. It works very well. I will likely do another one to a different tooth count as I need a much better coarser toothed one than the one I use now.

Stew

Kurtis Johnson
10-29-2018, 12:41 AM
I've done this operation countless thousands of times. There will be no issues assuming you posses the skill to do the retoothing and can file it properly. Disston didn't have as crosscut blank and a rip blank. They had one blank and cut whatever teeth they needed at the time.

Thanks Pete. Great! Music to my ears! I can sharpen and reshape teeth, but I honestly don’t posses experience creating new teeth from a zero flat jointed blade, but I think I’ll give it my best shot.

Kurtis Johnson
10-29-2018, 12:44 AM
I agree with Pete, I have filed the tooth line flat on two saws, taped a paper pattern with the tooth count to the side of the saw plate, and then filed new teeth.
You need to educate your self fleem and set. It is a fun trip.

Thanks Lowell!

Kurtis Johnson
10-29-2018, 12:59 AM
Kurtis,

One more with Pete. My best and favorite rip was one I had converted from a cross cut. I had plenty of crosscuts, because back in the day you could buy them for a song at garage sales, and the overwhelming number of them were crosscuts. I needed another rip so picked a good crosscut and had it converted. It works very well. I will likely do another one to a different tooth count as I need a much better coarser toothed one than the one I use now.

Stew

That’s my experience too. Rip saws are much harder to come by at my budget. I have a nice Frankensaw thumbhole I’ve massaged back from the dead, and a tragically pitted, otherwise beautiful, No. 16. Can’t wait to add the No. 7 to the rip till.