PDA

View Full Version : Back To Building a New Shop Bench

ken hatch
10-28-2018, 2:03 PM
Back in July or August I made a slab for a new shop sized (non-portable) Moravian style workbench. After finishing the slab I ran into a couple of problems that stopped progress. The first was getting my wood for the base, I wanted to use 12/4 Ash. The local wood store said the Phoenix store had it in stock and would deliver with the next shipment. The next shipment no joy but it would for sure be on the next one. Yep you guessed it, the check is in the mail. By this time I was getting ready to spend September in the PNW so everything slid until we were back from Oregon. Once back I'm back in the chase for 12/4 timber for the base after a week or so of back and forth with the wood store I quote "The Ash is too checked and ugly to sale but we do have some 12/4 Hard Maple at $13 USD a foot instead. Ain't no way I'm using $13 USD wood for a workbench base, glue up or not.

Cut to the chase. They had some 8/4 Beech on sale for just under $5 USD a BF, so it needs glue up, for $ 7 USD a BF I can handle that. Just under $400 USD I have my base plus some spendles and legs from the cutoffs. I've broken the Beech down and will start glue up of the legs and stretchers this afternoon. If work and honey dos do not interfere too much I should have a new bench in a couple or three weeks.

ken

David Eisenhauer
10-28-2018, 8:56 PM
Sounds like they just tripped the starting gate in Tucson. Go Ken.

ken hatch
10-28-2018, 10:19 PM
Sounds like they just tripped the starting gate in Tucson. Go Ken.

David,

Yep, the slab has been taking up room and gathering dust for too long. The last chair is within a coat or two of Milk paint to finish and then it is off to the races. BTW, I glued up two of the leg blanks tonight. The other two in the AM. The long stretchers to follow. The joinery is pretty quick, I've done it enough times there will be little butt scratching needed. The only thing that may take some time is fiddling with the vise, too many parts that need to be fitted to the bench, the slab, and the vise backer board.

ken

Stew Denton
10-28-2018, 10:29 PM
Ken,

I would guess there are several of us looking forward to finding out how the big Moravian works for you as a main bench.

Stew

ken hatch
10-29-2018, 1:17 PM
Ken,

I would guess there are several of us looking forward to finding out how the big Moravian works for you as a main bench.

Stew

Stew,

I'm not sure if it will be the main bench, the one closest to the tool chest and wall racks, but it should get a lot of use. It will be slightly shorter than the English/French bench and a little lower. Total weight will also be less but still pretty heavy with a 90mm+ slab and close to 125mm wide legs and stretchers all made of ~16/4 Beech. Portable? Ain't no way but it will be easy to break down if it needs moving. It may be the Pangloss of workbenches.

ken

ken hatch
11-03-2018, 2:48 PM
The leg blanks are glued up and sized. The stretcher blanks are in the clamps. Tomorrow I'll size the stretcher blanks and maybe even start on the joinery. I'm working the backside of the clock next week so it may be slow going. There is no real hurry but I'd like to get that sucker off my plate, it has been hanging around the shop much too long.

Stretcher in glue up:

ken

ken hatch
11-04-2018, 1:35 PM
The slab is finished. Legs and stretchers are trued and dimensioned. The scut work is done. With almost every build, at this point I swear this will be my last bench. Who knows, someday it may be. Whatever, the enjoyable part of the build is next. There is still heavy stuff to move around but for the most part it is a one person job. The joinery is fun, a bench isn't furniture. it is a tool and if a joint isn't perfect as long as it is strong who cares. Same with a dent or two, after a month or so in the shop they will be joined by many others.

I'm taking a break, it is a beautiful Fall day in the desert and the Day of The Dead. I expect MsBubba and I will try to find a Mexican Cafe with a patio. If there are not too many cerveza consumed I'll start marking out tonight.

ken

ken hatch
11-09-2018, 7:24 PM
I've started the joinery on the bench base. First is the upper stretcher, then the middle mortise and tenon, and last the bottom dovetail. If MsBibba doesn't spot me and forgets I'm in the shop I may complete the leg joinery this weekend. I doubt it will happen but it could.:) When I first started making Moravian benches I thought the three different joints on the base was an affection, maybe even showing off but after living with several benches I've come to appreciate the thought that went into and utility of the joints. I know broken record but the sum of the Moravian bench is greater than the parts.

Upper stretcher fitted to the front base:

Camera angle makes it look cattywampus. Everything is pretty square for just one stretcher fitted.

ken

Phil Mueller
11-09-2018, 7:33 PM
Nice build, Ken. Always enjoyable to follow along. I did notice you went out for cervezas on the 4th, and didn’t return here until the 9th. Must have been a good dinner

Stew Denton
11-09-2018, 8:35 PM
Phil,

I had the same thought about the build, and also about the cerveza comment. I wondered if Ken would get a kidding about being gone so long after his cerveza comment. Yep, must have been a very good dinner.

Ken, glad to see you back. It is good too to get to keep up with and enjoy the build.

From your last update post, you must have been working on stuff though.

Stew

ken hatch
11-09-2018, 8:42 PM
Nice build, Ken. Always enjoyable to follow along. I did notice you went out for cervezas on the 4th, and didn’t return here until the 9th. Must have been a good dinner

Thanks Phil,

It was a good day of the Dead :o.

I've been working the back side of the clock, things go a little slowly when I'm doing that.

ken

ken hatch
11-09-2018, 8:51 PM
Phil,

I had the same thought about the build, and also about the cerveza comment. I wondered if Ken would get a kidding about being gone so long after his cerveza comment. Yep, must have been a very good dinner.

Ken, glad to see you back. It is good too to get to keep up with and enjoy the build.

From your last update post, you must have been working on stuff though.

Stew

Stew,

It was :).

Sometimes the day (night) job slows down builds. I ain't as young and strong as I once was, but you are correct most of last week was spent doing housekeeping, Finding wood for the stretchers and preparing it, marking out and so on. It always amazes me how much time it takes to mark out, of course a good part of that time is scratching butt and making sure the marks are when they need to be.

ken

Steve Southwood
11-09-2018, 9:07 PM
Enjoying this build so far. Hoping to start milling lumber on mine late next week. Will take several weeks to complete, lots of OT to cover at the real job with the holidays coming up.

ken hatch
11-10-2018, 4:08 AM
Enjoying this build so far. Hoping to start milling lumber on mine late next week. Will take several weeks to complete, lots of OT to cover at the real job with the holidays coming up.

Thanks Steve,

Life has a way of slowing builds. I'm shooting for a mid Dec. completion but once pass mid Nov. who knows, it could go into the new year.

Good luck on your build, photos if you can,

ken

David Eisenhauer
11-10-2018, 10:15 AM
First step is the hardest one Steve. Gets easier after you finally get started.

ken hatch
11-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Ain't that the truth.

ken

ken hatch
11-10-2018, 2:21 PM
The base is coming along, I finished fitting both top stretchers this morning. I've a need to run the streets for a couple of hours, Home Depot, Costco, pick up meds, and maybe some Vietnamese for lunch. I should finish the running around it time to start on the middle mortise and tenons this afternoon. There is a slight chance the bases will be ready for glue up Sunday. I wouldn't bet on it but maybe.

ken

David Eisenhauer
11-10-2018, 7:17 PM
Looks like you are solidly into the project now that the joinery work has started. Carry on.

ken hatch
11-10-2018, 9:28 PM
Looks like you are solidly into the project now that the joinery work has started. Carry on.

Yep David,

This is the fun part. There is still a lot of heavy lifting to do but for the most part it is a one man job.

I'm starting to smell the barn and beginning the homeward gallop. It is really hard to walk away even when the day job demands it.

I can't wait to put this sucker to work.

ken

Steve Southwood
11-10-2018, 11:48 PM

I have had the material cut to rough size for a few months, so I guess I have started :D

David Eisenhauer
11-10-2018, 11:52 PM
Steve, I believe they are slapping you on the behind end to load you into the starting gate now and the starter has his hand on the pull rope.

Steve Southwood
11-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Steve, I believe they are slapping you on the behind end to load you into the starting gate now and the starter has his hand on the pull rope.

Yep, I can feel the love. I work a VERY odd schedule, with tons of OT, so the quickest project becomes an ordeal. We'll get it done though

ken hatch
11-11-2018, 1:21 PM
Yep, I can feel the love. I work a VERY odd schedule, with tons of OT, so the quickest project becomes an ordeal. We'll get it done though

Steve, the first liar doesn't stand a chance. :D

I'll bet my work schedule is as bad as yours. Up until a month ago when the new "quality of life" program came into effect (they had to find a way to stem losses) they could work us 11 days in a row and often did. If I didn't like my job as much as I do I would have retired long ago.

I know it is hard to do, find time for the shop, but just think how great it will be working on your new bench.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your progress.

ken

ken hatch
11-11-2018, 1:26 PM
I've four through mortises to chop. The tenon is a one shoulder tenon that is close to splitting the stretcher in half giving a 20mm wide tenon and mortise. That presents a small problem. My largest pigsticker is 1/2", I could use the 5/16" pigsticker and do two rows inside the mortise and then clean out the middle. Or drill out most of the wood and clean up the "Vs" and sides with a paring chisel. I do not like either of those options, the double mortise is too slow and too much work, The drill and pare is also slower than just going at it with a correct sized chisel.

Awhile ago I bought a set of Narex firmer chisels on a lark, mostly because it is hard to find new firmer chisels and they were cheap. The handle shape and size sucks as with most Narex chisels so after a quick sharpening I stuck them in a chisel rack and forgot about 'em until today.

As mentioned earlier I needed a 20mm chisel and guess what, the Narex set had a 20mm firmer chisel. Well they are cheap enough not to worry about ruining. I thought about using a "chisel" hammer for a couple of seconds to protect the handle but rejected that thought, again because they are cheap. Out comes my normal mortise mallet, "lumpy", and off to the races.

While I use a lump hammer as a mortise mallet I do not go all Conan on the chisel. I find light taps gives better control and is faster than whacking it hard. The lump hammer just takes less energy than other hammers.

Anyway, after a quick mortise chop I'm pretty happy with the Narex chisel and for grins I looked at the Narex web site to see what they said about the firmer chisels: The firmer chisel is a "Special tool for rough work. Blade tapers in width and lengthwise from tip to shoulder for sidewall clearance. Forged blade is made of traditional Cr-Mn steel and heat treated to 59 HRc. Ergonomic handle from hard and hefty hornbeam wood is strong enough to withstand heavy blows with a mallet."

Hornbeam handle is good but I expect if I use the chisel again I'll take a spokeshave to it and put a couple of flats to help orientation much like a pigsticker has.

The first of four mortises is finished:

The iron held up well, after finishing the first side I looked at and felt the edge. There were no chip outs, just a couple of shiny spots. I took a couple or three strokes on the medium India and a quick strop and it was back to work.

ken

James Pallas
11-11-2018, 2:18 PM
Mortise looks great. If you here your doorbell, run, it will be the chisel police backed up by the hammer judges.
Jim

Steve Southwood
11-11-2018, 3:11 PM
Steve, the first liar doesn't stand a chance. :D

I'll bet my work schedule is as bad as yours. Up until a month ago when the new "quality of life" program came into effect (they had to find a way to stem losses) they could work us 11 days in a row and often did. If I didn't like my job as much as I do I would have retired long ago.

I know it is hard to do, find time for the shop, but just think how great it will be working on your new bench.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your progress.

ken

4 days off then 24 on. Mix of 8 & 12 hour days. And no one quits, I don't understand it. I got less than 3 years and I am out. Will be 55 and finding a straight day shift job, won't care about the coin then.

ken hatch
11-11-2018, 7:30 PM
Mortise looks great. If you here your doorbell, run, it will be the chisel police backed up by the hammer judges.
Jim

Jim,

I know heresy, just put the lump hammer down and step away from the chisels and everything will be ok.

Now if I can just find my meds,

ken

James Pallas
11-12-2018, 8:54 AM
Jim,

I know heresy, just put the lump hammer down and step away from the chisels and everything will be ok.

Now if I can just find my meds,

ken

Whenever I find myself in the tool dilemma it reminds me of an old friend. In this case it had to do with racing cars but it applies well in this case. “You have to run with what you brung”. When I find myself in that “if I only had” situation I remember that and just go on. Sometimes I find something I really like right in my available kit. I have yet to try a lump hammer but one is available should the need become apparent.
Jim

ken hatch
11-12-2018, 7:13 PM
Whenever I find myself in the tool dilemma it reminds me of an old friend. In this case it had to do with racing cars but it applies well in this case. “You have to run with what you brung”. When I find myself in that “if I only had” situation I remember that and just go on. Sometimes I find something I really like right in my available kit. I have yet to try a lump hammer but one is available should the need become apparent.
Jim

Jim,

Lump hammers will not work with all chisels but with the right wood handle and you don't go all Conan I think they work better than lighter hammers. I wouldn't try it with new LV toasted Maple handles I'm sure they would split but Hornbeam is no problem. Off the top of my head I believe LN chisels use Hornbeam as does the new Stanley 750s.

On the same vein as your racing friend back in the 60's when Darrell Royal (coach of the Texas Longhorns) was asked why he didn't pass the ball he would answer that "you dance with those that brung ya".

ken

ken hatch
11-13-2018, 8:22 PM
Beavering away on the workbench base. Why do I save the hardest for last? I guess just because I'm drawn that way.

The middle short stretchers are ready to fit. The bottom short stretchers will have a dovetail so no mortise to chop. The mortises for the long stretchers are next, these are the largest mortises of the build, 32mm wide X 130mm deep X 145mm long. Come on Ibuprofen do your thing. Here is a photo of the first one after a couple or three passes.

Maybe three more passes to be deep enough to turn the leg over and come from the back side.

Each mortise takes a little over an hour with sharpening breaks, doggie butt scratching, and resting my noodle arm so I expect with adding the day job in, the Woodcraft Boot Sale Saturday, and only one day off this week, it may be next week before the base is glued up and ready to stand on its own.

ken

David Eisenhauer
11-13-2018, 8:52 PM
Who needs a mortiser? Just call in Ken. Good looking operation Ken.

ken hatch
11-14-2018, 6:54 AM
Who needs a mortiser? Just call in Ken. Good looking operation Ken.

David.

LOLs. Thanks, but a mortiser is cheaper.:D

ken

ken hatch
11-14-2018, 10:49 PM
Seems I have an obsession with mortise chopping. Could be because that's about the sum of my shop time lately. As I posted before there are several ways to end up with a hole in or through a piece of wood.

The main ones are: A hollow chisel mortiser, a chain mortiser, drill most of the waste and then pare the "Vs" and sides to size, and using chisels to waste the wood. Sometimes finding or having a chisel of the correct size can be a problem but if you have a chisel of the correct size and you are only doing a few mortises I think beavering away with a chisel is the fastest and best way to make a mortise.

The mortises of the last couple of days are an example. I needed a large mortise to hold the tusk tenon that makes the base of the Moravian workbench. I had a 32mm bench chisel that fit the bill for width so now it was just a matter of chopping half way down on one side, flipping the board over and chopping through on the other side. Once through the board all that remains is cleaning up the ends and fuzzies on the sides. Reasonably quick and easy.

Here is a photo of the mortise after one pass down the length with a return to the starting end to level the approximately 30mm it took to get to the 30mm depth of the first pass. Each following pass will be slightly less deep because of restricted lever room but with a total thickness of the stretcher of 130mm it doesn't take too long to get to the 60 or 70mm depth needed on each side.

I probably will not get "break through" on the next pass but I expect it will happen on the third. Then it will just be a matter of cleaning up and getting the correct angle on the ends. The floor and top of the mortise needs to be 15* to match the angle of the legs.

ken

ken hatch
11-22-2018, 9:22 PM
I hope all had a good T-Day with plenty of food, family, and friends. We did the full T-Day thing for just the two of us this year, there was not enough time to travel to Houston. I'll be pretty sick of Turkey by the time we finish the leftovers but I expect Sam the Wonder Dog and Sweet Maggie Dog will love it.

I'm making progress on the new workbench. I've cut the tenons on the long stretchers and just need to make sure the tenons fit each mortise before glueing up the base units. Once the base units are glued up it is pretty much downhill from there. A bit of fiddly work but other than moving the slab from its spot leaning against the wall to the base the heavy lifting and whacking huge mortises is done.

The bench should be finished before we leave for the Winter Solstice celebration in Houston. Of course there is a big difference between should and will.

Checking the fit of the long stretcher and the leg mortise:

The top two short base stretchers have been fitted. I need to cut and fit the dovetails for the lower stretcher before I can glue up the base. The fat lady isn't warming up just yet but she's in the building.

ken

Frederick Skelly
11-23-2018, 7:07 AM
Coming along beautifully Ken! Look forward to seeing more.

You are a mortising machine in the flesh Sir! (I gave in and bought a machine a year or so back. :) )
Fred

ken hatch
11-23-2018, 8:38 AM
Coming along beautifully Ken! Look forward to seeing more.

You are a mortising machine in the flesh Sir! (I gave in and bought a machine a year or so back. :) )
Fred

Fred,

LOL. BTW, about the time I finished the last stretcher mortise I was looking for the Powermatic catalog and my AmEx card. If I had found either I'd be trying to find space for a new machine. :o

Thanks, It will not be long before it will look like a bench. A ways to go but soon I can squint and kinda see a bench.

ken

ken hatch
11-23-2018, 10:59 AM
I'm back at it this AM with sawing out the tenons on the back long stretcher and fitting the base legs. So far it is going well, I made a small mistake chopping the stretcher tenons in I didn't make them long enough. Unlike most M/T joints these need to be pretty loose and I chopped 'em a little tight in length. It is an easy fix, just take 3mm or so off the bottom of the mortise. Of the first two fitted, one needed the fix. I'll soon know about the last two.

Sawing the shoulder:

Sawing the tenon:

On to cleaning up the tenons and shoulders before testing the fit.

BTW, this is the first time I've used the Bad Axe crosscut panel saw. Nice saw. Worth the money? Good question, whatever it sure is pretty.

ken

Kurt Cady
11-23-2018, 12:54 PM
Checking the fit of the long stretcher and the leg mortise:

The top two short base stretchers have been fitted. I need to cut and fit the dovetails for the lower stretcher before I can glue up the base. The fat lady isn't warming up just yet but she's in the building.

ken

Looking good, Ken. Random question: what’s that mallet above the leg vise?

ken hatch
11-23-2018, 1:51 PM
Looking good, Ken. Random question: what’s that mallet above the leg vise?

Kirt,

It is a 2 lb. lump hammer, made in China. I found it in a cheap tool store for less than $7 USD. It is a perfect chisel hammer for chopping mortises but is kinda like riding a Goldwing, it does a great job and can dance with the best of 'em but you don't want anyone to know you are using it. :p

I expect when the Crucible lump hammer arrives the China hammer will go to the back of the shelf but I'll also bet the Crucible hammer will not be any better, just prettier.

ken

Kurt Cady
11-23-2018, 4:57 PM
Kirt,

It is a 2 lb. lump hammer, made in China. I found it in a cheap tool store for less than $7

ken

Do you know what store off hand? I like the square faces. Probably can’t swing the Crucible hammer for a while. Pun intended

ken hatch
11-23-2018, 6:02 PM
Do you know what store off hand? I like the square faces. Probably can’t swing the Crucible hammer for a while. Pun intended

Kurt,

It is a local store. I would go buy one for you and ship it if you would like. The only problem is it is a really cheap hammer and might fall apart on you and shipping via USPS would run around $13 USD making the hammer total cost over $20USD.

I'll be happy to do it if you would like but I expect HF would have something as good and cheaper.

ken

ken hatch
11-23-2018, 7:33 PM
It has been a productive shop day. All the long stretcher tendons are fitted to their leg mortises. The two top stretchers are fitted to legs I and II and I've cut the dovetails on leg I and II's lower stretcher. Tomorrow I'll cut the dovetail socketts in legs I and II and fit the lower stretcher. Legs III and IV will follow. It would be great if I can glue up the base units Sunday.

The front base unit:

BTW, the top stretcher is Beech, the middle Sapelle, and the bottom is Honey Locust. No reason for the different woods other than they are what was in my wood pile and are strong and heavy. This sucker will come apart to move but it ain't going to be portable.

My body is letting me know no mas, no mas. It's whisky and Ibuprofen time.

ken

ken hatch
11-24-2018, 7:41 PM
The forward, #1 and #2 legs, base unit is glued up and in clamps. Tomorrow I'll fit the stretchers to the aft base unit and hopefully get it in glue up and clamps. If that happens, Monday morning I'll put that sucker together and mark off the tusk tenon mortises and start chopping 'em. Fun stuff to go. Blind pegging the top rails and slab. Making the vise backer and installing it. Making the vise chop, parallel guide, and mounting the vise. If MsBubba doesn't get me in her line of sight and work isn't too crazy I might be using the bench in a week or two. I wouldn't bet on it but I might.

The base is a couple/three mm out of squire but most important is in perfect wind. The left dovetail didn't pull up completely on glue up. I'm not sure why, it fit perfectly on the dry fit and there is a small gap at the bottom of the right upper brindle joint. All of which I can live with.

Not only can I smell the barn, I have it in sight just on the horizon.

ken

ken hatch
11-25-2018, 3:02 PM
The second base unit is in clamps, no photo because it looks just like the first base unit. I'll let it cure till tomorrow AM. Once the second base is out of the clamps i'll assemble the bases with the long stretchers and mark out the mortises for the tusk tenons. This sucker is in the short rows.

ken

ken hatch
11-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Here is a photo of the base put together:

This fitting will allow marking of the tusk tenon mortises. Then it all has to come apart to chop the mortises. While apart, I will also trim/plane the upper stretcher to match the angle of the legs and clean up the base units. It will need putting back together to blind peg the slab and mark the slab and lower stretcher for the vise backer mortises. Back apart to chop the mortises and then back together to fit the vise backer. Anyway you get the drill, a lot of fiddling and apart/together to finish up.

I don't know if you can see the size difference between the portable bench and the shop sized one but I can tell you it's there. Taking the portable bench apart and putting together is an easy one person job. I'll bet MsBubba could do it with no help. I couldn't put this base together without MsBubba's help and you can forget about the two of us moving the slab to the base. I'll need the help of another OF or maybe young and strong the set the slab.

The legs and long stretchers are basically 16/4 European Beech, the top stretcher is 8/4 European Beech. The middle stretcher is 8/4 Sapple and the lower one is 8/4 Honey Locust. The slab is ~2180mmX460mmX90mm (~7'1"X 18"X 3 1/2") Beech. The height will be 875mm (34 1/2") and the width ~660mm (26"). I've not a clue how much it will weigh but I expect closer to 300 lbs. than 200.

If the portable bench is predictive, this sucker should be every bit as stable and solid as my hybrid Roubo/English bench and that one could hold my truck and not move. Think triangles vs. squares.

ken

Matthew Hartlin
11-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Enjoying following along Ken, this sure looks like a beast of a bench. I got my hands on some locally milled Ash, 14/4 16" wide slab for the top and some 12/4 stock for the short stretchers, vise components and tusks. Now trying to source some larger pieces for the legs/long stretchers, hoping to find something solid rather than laminate from 2X12s.

ken hatch
11-26-2018, 12:35 PM
Enjoying following along Ken, this sure looks like a beast of a bench. I got my hands on some locally milled Ash, 14/4 16" wide slab for the top and some 12/4 stock for the short stretchers, vise components and tusks. Now trying to source some larger pieces for the legs/long stretchers, hoping to find something solid rather than laminate from 2X12s.

Thanks Matthew,

My back is telling me the same, it is a beast.

I had hoped to use 12/4 Ash for the base and stretchers and wasted a couple of months waiting for it to be delivered next week. I also did not want to laminate but in the end, just to get it built, I settled on laminating 8/4 Beech. It is a lot more work but in the end I've ended up with a heavier and maybe more solid bench.

Good luck on your hunt. Post photos and a build tic-toc when able.

ken

ken hatch
11-27-2018, 4:51 PM
The base is finished except for clean-up. The tusk tenons are fitted and it is solid, I put the slab on to get a look-see. I'm happy with it. Next up is blind pegging the base and slab. Once the slab is fitted I'll need to make the vise backer board, cut its tenons, drill the vise screw hole and cut a mortise for the parallel guide. Then make a vise chop and parallel guide. Chop the two mortises for the backer board in the slab and bottom long stretcher. And last make and install a tool tray. Basically all that is left to do is fiddly work, time consuming with lots of install the slab, take the slab off, reinstall the slab and so on.

It is a heavy sucker and pretty big (see portable bench in background). Everything but the short stretchers is bigger and heavier.

I'm going to walk away from it now. Tomorrow I'll blind peg the sab and figure out what I will use for the vise backer board and maybe make it if it doesn't need a glue up. If it does, do the glue up.

ken

ken hatch
11-29-2018, 7:17 AM
Yesterday I marked the location of the pegs for securing/fitting the slab to the base. I have not drilled the mortises for the pegs yet. Because drill bits can vary slightly in size I need to test bit to peg to make sure of the fit. That is first thing this AM. The blind pegging first step is to decide on peg location and drive a nail in far enough to be secure but easy to remove.

Next snip off the nail so it is lower than the slats used to support the slab while positioning but high enough to make a good mark and is also high enough to be easily removed.

Then position the slab. Once satisfied with position carefully remove the support slats and press, use a lumpy or whatever means needed to press the slab down on the cut nails, marking the position of the pegs and mortises.

The mark closest to the front edge of the slab will be drilled to peg size, single arrow. The back mark, with a circle, will be drilled elongated to allow movement of the slab. The marks on the base will be drilled to peg size and will have the pegs glued with around 25mm or so exposed.

An easy but ingenious process.

ken

ken hatch
11-29-2018, 10:17 AM
Drilling peg mortises:

Cleaning up long (back) mortises:

Slab installed:

I've found for the first time fitting of the slab it is best to back the tusk tenons off a bit. Get the slab settled on the pegs then reset the tusk tenons to draw everything up tight. After fitting I tested the bench both lengthwise and across to see if I can move it. This sucker is solid there ain't no way no how it will move, short of a Mack truck running over it.

Time to fit the vise. First up chop or vise backer makes no never mind. I may start with fitting the vise backer because it is ready to work on. I still have not settled on wood for the chop.

ken

ken hatch
11-30-2018, 11:54 PM
Yesterday was one of those days that kick this OF's butt. I walked in the door of the office at 1400 and didn't walk out until 0200 this AM. All twelve hours were at a high stress level with the Feds looking over my shoulder. I will not go into details but let's just say because of client performance I was on a high wire without a net most of the day. My butt is still dragging. The good news is that scenario will not be repeated for at least a year.

I did have to run a rescue mission for MsBubba this morning and while out of the house I stopped by the woodstore. There I found a nice 8/4 hunk of Red Oak that is perfect for the vise chop. The vise backer is ready to work and I now have the wood for the chop. Tomorrow AM I'll start the vise install. By the end of the day my back will be whimpering no mas no mas. I'm not sure how many slab remove and replace there will be before the install is finished but it is a good number.

Photos to follow,

ken

Kory Cassel
12-01-2018, 12:41 AM

Hi Ken,
Started laughing at myself when I read this thread. I've been laminating a 'quick temporary' bench together at a snail's pace for several months and accidentally built a Moravian shaped bench. I had never heard of them before today. The profile follows the inclusion of an aborted shave horse I started building years ago with the full sized bench slabbed on around it. I think I'll call it 'The Moron-ian'. LOL

ken hatch
12-01-2018, 12:50 AM

Hi Ken,
Started laughing at myself when I read this thread. I've been laminating a 'quick temporary' bench together at a snail's pace for several months and accidentally built a Moravian shaped bench. I had never heard of them before today. The profile follows the inclusion of an aborted shave horse I started building years ago with the full sized bench slabbed on around it. I think I'll call it 'The Moron-ian'. LOL

Kory,

Pretty much looks like you nailed the basics of a Moravian bench. congrats,

ken

Kory Cassel
12-01-2018, 9:41 AM
Kory,

Pretty much looks like you nailed the basics of a Moravian bench. congrats,

ken
Oh no. Nothing like your beautifully made knock-down design. Mine just has the rough profile.

This looks like a sort of self tightening base is that right?

ken hatch
12-01-2018, 9:52 AM
Oh no. Nothing like your beautifully made knock-down design. Mine just has the rough profile.

This looks like a sort of self tightening base is that right?

Kory,

You are correct, once the slab is installed and the tusk wedges are driven home and you have triangles in tension. There ain't no way no how for that sucker to move, as I've said before, short of a Peterbuilt running over it.

ken

Kory Cassel
12-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Awesomely cool. I was thinking that might be a great way to get more room for a tail vise without having to shift to an a-symetrical base?
I've been talking to Kyle Foster in the design forum about building a bench without glue to use over the winter, the Movavian base looks ideal. Ever built one using bench bolts?

ken hatch
12-01-2018, 10:14 AM
Awesomely cool. I was thinking that might be a great was to get more room for a tail vise without having to shift to an a-symetrical base?
I've been talking to Kyle Foster in the design forum about building a bench without glue to use over the winter, the Movavian base looks ideal. Ever built one using bench bolts?

Kory,

No on the bolts but with minor design changes the bench could be built without glue. You would need to make the base upper stretcher wider so you could use a draw bored M/T instead of the bridle joint. The middle stretcher would need no changes to do a draw bored M/T. The other change would be using a draw bored M/T in place of the dovetail. From my building, working on, and trying to figure out why the design decisions were made my best guess is labor saving and time to build. bridle and dovetails are much quicker than M/T joints to make and in both cases there was no compromise in strength by using them.

ken

Kory Cassel
12-01-2018, 10:36 AM
I've been racking my brain to come up with a way Kyle can make a good solid top to use over the winter and then take it apart and glue it up next year.

With your permission, I'll refer him to you for the base structure. This style looks like a good fit for what he's trying to do and you seem to have the know-how to modify and apply it to the application.

ken hatch
12-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Kory,

I checked your post on the design forum and realized I answered the wrong question. On a small, less than 6', bench I've found a 8/4 slab works very well if it is a stiff wood like Beach or Oak. A 11" to 14" work surface is more than adequate. While 14" 8/4 lumber is hard to find it is available, 11" to 12" is reasonably common. The only real disadvantage of a 8/4 slab is lack of weight which is easy to fix with sand bags or pig iron.

Unless you are building a 8' or so bench I'd go that route. One other thought, if you want a longer bench with a thicker slab later, just make a new long stretcher and slab and reuse the bases.

ken

ken hatch
12-01-2018, 10:39 AM
I've been racking my brain to come up with a way Kyle can make a good solid top to use over the winter and then take it apart and glue it up next year.

With your permission, I'll refer him to you for the base structure. This style looks like a good fit for what he's trying to do and you seem to have the know-how to modify and apply it to the application.

Kory,

Thanks and no problem.

ken

Alexander Zagubny
12-01-2018, 4:06 PM
Kory,

No on the bolts but with minor design changes the bench could be built without glue. You would need to make the base upper stretcher wider so you could use a draw bored M/T instead of the bridle joint. The middle stretcher would need no changes to do a draw bored M/T. The other change would be using a draw bored M/T in place of the dovetail. From my building, working on, and trying to figure out why the design decisions were made my best guess is labor saving and time to build. bridle and dovetails are much quicker than M/T joints to make and in both cases there was no compromise in strength by using them.

ken
Ken,
I'm glad you shared you thoughts about joinery, thank you! I was wondering why it was done that way since I'm going to use drawbored M&T for both short stretchers (and use a pair instead of three). Really simple explanation I didn't think about.

ken hatch
12-01-2018, 6:41 PM
I've spend most of the day fitting the vise backer board. Next up one last M/T to chop in the slab and the vise backer. Then drilling the hole for the vise screw, and cutting the channel for the parallel guide. If things go faster than expected and my back isn't kvetching too much I may start on the chop before whisky time.

Whoops Bubba you are getting too far over your skis. I forgot about the M/T in the chop to hold the parallel guide. Whatever they are both small and quick M/Ts.

I'm not counting on it but I may finish this sucker before the weekend is over.

ken

ken hatch
12-01-2018, 6:44 PM
Ken,
I'm glad you shared you thoughts about joinery, thank you! I was wondering why it was done that way since I'm going to use drawbored M&T for both short stretchers (and use a pair instead of three). Really simple explanation I didn't think about.

Alexander,

Of course I could be full of it :D. The little bench was so well thought out and simple there had to be a reason, and that has been the best I could come up with.

ken

ken hatch
12-01-2018, 6:58 PM
The fat lady is in the building, I can hear her warming up.
No singing yet but damn close.

The vise backer is installed. All that is left is making and fitting the chop and making a tool tray. I figure the chop is a couple or three hours (which means at least 6) and the tool tray a couple more. After those jobs the bench will be functional, just needing a little clean up. You may see joinery markings for months, clean up is usually pretty low on my list. I'd lot rather be making things.

The vise backer with the vise hole and the parallel guide hole:

My back is telling me it is whisky time in Tucson.

ken

Kory Cassel
12-01-2018, 7:35 PM
Sweet.

Any thoughts on putting an angled vise chop on the leg? Is you choice of the vertical leg vice part of the following the historical design, or have you run into a problem using an angled leg vise chop on a bench like this?

ken hatch
12-01-2018, 8:50 PM
Sweet.

Any thoughts on putting an angled vise chop on the leg? Is you choice of the vertical leg vice part of the following the historical design, or have you run into a problem using an angled leg vise chop on a bench like this?

Kory,

The leg has some pretty good sized holes in it and I wouldn't want more. I've seen it done by making a wider leg and I expect that would work but I see no reason for it other than some claim a better holding vise. I have no complaints with the current set up using a backer board. It is a simpler build and running a parallel guide at an angle through a 16/4 leg isn't my ideal of fun plus having to mortise for the stretchers through that extra wood would be more of a PITA than I would want to face.

ken

Kory Cassel
12-01-2018, 9:02 PM
Ken,

I see what you mean about considering the simplicity of the task versus any advantage to an angled chop. Mortising that vise backer in there seems right now that you explain it in those terms.

Thanks.

Mike Allen1010
12-01-2018, 9:16 PM
Brother, you are killing it with this workbench build!

I LOVE you chopping all those mortises the manly way- with mallet and chisel – well done! On the other hand, you're kinda undermining my whiny excuse for quitting when my back starts to hurt.

I'm really enjoying your thread and appreciate you taking the time to post all the great pictures. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure based just on the variety and number of workbenches I've seen you build year on SMC, you're clearly ascending into the "master bench builder" ranks. If I had any pull I would ensure your union card is on the way!

I know winter life in Tucson is tough to beat. However,when summer rolls around and you and Mrs McBubba hit the road for greener pastures, look me up when you get to San Diego – I know this hole in the wall taqueria where the food is great, the tequila is under the counter for those who know and even the dog speak Spanish!

Cheers, Mike

ken hatch
12-02-2018, 6:06 AM
Brother, you are killing it with this workbench build!

I LOVE you chopping all those mortises the manly way- with mallet and chisel – well done! On the other hand, you're kinda undermining my whiny excuse for quitting when my back starts to hurt.

I'm really enjoying your thread and appreciate you taking the time to post all the great pictures. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure based just on the variety and number of workbenches I've seen you build year on SMC, you're clearly ascending into the "master bench builder" ranks. If I had any pull I would ensure your union card is on the way!

I know winter life in Tucson is tough to beat. However,when summer rolls around and you and Mrs McBubba hit the road for greener pastures, look me up when you get to San Diego – I know this hole in the wall taqueria where the food is great, the tequila is under the counter for those who know and even the dog speak Spanish!

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

Thanks, This has been a enjoyable build but it is also showing very clearly that age is creeping up and I better do something, like go to the gym (never happen) or build another big bench :p, to slow it down.

I don't hunt, fish, or watch sports, and I'm too old to chase women. I have to do something to earn my man card. Most of the time it is easier and maybe even quicker with better results to bang 'em out. For some reason I've never been able to do a good drill and pare mortise.

Be careful, your HO would send you a nastygram within seconds if we showed up on your doorstep :D. In spite of your HO, thanks for the invite there is a good chance we will take you up on at least the tacos. There is a nice KOA that is convenient to downtown and the dog beaches and it would give a chance to meet and for you to play with the portable bench if you wanted to.

ken

Jessica de Boer
12-02-2018, 6:46 AM
Just a tip, glue 3mm thick cork to the jaws of the vice. This protects the work piece and adds loads of grip. When it's worn out you can simply remove it with a chisel and apply new cork.

ken hatch
12-02-2018, 7:13 AM
Just a tip, glue 3mm thick cork to the jaws of the vice. This protects the work piece and adds loads of grip. When it's worn out you can simply remove it with a chisel and apply new cork.

Thanks Jessica,

I have some nice thin suede that I use on the chop. It makes a difference.

ken

ken hatch
12-02-2018, 6:06 PM
The new bench is all but finished. The vise is installed, all that is left is making a tool tray and cleaning up all the marks on the base plus I need to install the brass garder and trim the wedges on the chop as well as trim the top of the chop. Still a bit of fiddling but it is functional. I'll leave the portable bench up for a few more days because I expect the slab will need removing several more times during the clean up

Later I may add ledgers and a bottom shelf and there is some though of a deadman, not likely but the English style apron is really handy and a dead man could almost do the same job.

During the clean up I'll trim the end grain on the slab and make bigger wedges for the tusk tenons and put some dog holes and a stop near the left end

I'm looking forward to putting this sucker to work.

ken

Kory Cassel
12-02-2018, 8:07 PM
Nice! One day I'll finish the Moronian and you can tell your bench that her ugly third cousin lives in Texas.

James Pallas
12-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Looks great Ken. Stout enough to build some really big stuff, locomotives, C 5s, Frigates. I'll be watching to see��
Jim

William Fretwell
12-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Tusk tenon size is on my mind also. My tenons are 6" and my white oak tusks 12", I still think they may need to be bigger. When you look at the area of contact 6/16"x 3" (on mine) each side seems small. Time will tell but easy to fix.
I'm wondering why you did not make the dog holes earlier when you glued up the top?
Your progress has been stellar!

ken hatch
12-03-2018, 2:44 AM
Nice! One day I'll finish the Moronian and you can tell your bench that her ugly third cousin lives in Texas.

Kory,

I thought I'd lived the song "I've been everywhere man", but Coffee City? BTW, I'm proof that you can take the boy out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of the boy.

ken

ken hatch
12-03-2018, 2:53 AM
Looks great Ken. Stout enough to build some really big stuff, locomotives, C 5s, Frigates. I'll be watching to see��
Jim

Jim,

Thanks.

I figure if I ever stop making things I can use it along with a couple of ramps to work on the truck :D.

I'm not sure what will be the first project, I've a couple of chair seat blanks ready to work on and MsBubba wants a new dining table but who knows.

ken

ken hatch
12-03-2018, 3:14 AM
Tusk tenon size is on my mind also. My tenons are 6" and my white oak tusks 12", I still think they may need to be bigger. When you look at the area of contact 6/16"x 3" (on mine) each side seems small. Time will tell but easy to fix.
I'm wondering why you did not make the dog holes earlier when you glued up the top?
Your progress has been stellar!

William,

I'm never sure which side will be the top nor how the slab will be orrentated until it is installed. Using round dogs it is just easier to wait, I've built a couple of benches with square dogs made during the glue up process and they were not worth the effort.

I think longer is better up to a point. I had some cutoffs the correct thickness but not wide enough to make longer wedges. I used the cutoff for quick and dirty wedges knowing I would need to come back and re-make. Like you said, it's an easy fix.

ken

ken hatch
12-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Done, time to sweep up and put tools away. I'll leave the portable up and in the way for a bit. As I clean up the build the slab may, will, need to come off a few times and the portable bench makes it easier. Over the next few days I'll add some dog holes, clean up the slab end grain and the tool tray. A couple of stops need to be made and fitted. And somewhere in there I'll need to take it apart to clean up the stretchers and bases.

Future bench appliances will be ledgers and a lower shelf and maybe a deadman. The deadman I've used before were more in the way than helpful, I think I may have figured out how to make one work, we will see.

Some photos of the bench:

And last the Glamour shot:

What a great bench, all the advantages of a Roubo with none of the drawbacks.

ken

Matthew Hartlin
12-03-2018, 2:56 PM
there is some though of a deadman, not likely but the English style apron is really handy and a dead man could almost do the same job.

Working on an English bench currently, this is my biggest worry about building the Moravian bench. I notice that I use my holdfasts in the apron a lot when working longer pieces. But I'm also looking forward to being able to pull a stool up to the bench and not have my knees cramped into the apron!

ken hatch
12-03-2018, 3:18 PM
Working on an English bench currently, this is my biggest worry about building the Moravian bench. I notice that I use my holdfasts in the apron a lot when working longer pieces. But I'm also looking forward to being able to pull a stool up to the bench and not have my knees cramped into the apron!

Matthew,

One of my other benches is a Roubo with an English style apron. I know what you mean about both the good and bad of the apron. Also before the French/English bench I had a Roubo with a deadman and the deadman was a PITA to use. That's most of the reason for the apron on the current bench. I think I've figured out how the fix the problems I had with the deadman so I expect I will add one later to this bench.

ken

Kory Cassel
12-03-2018, 7:27 PM
Kory,

I thought I'd lived the song "I've been everywhere man", but Coffee City? BTW, I'm proof that you can take the boy out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of the boy.

ken
The 'City' part is strong talk. Used to be a catfish restaurant, marina, and gas station. Now it's got a couple dollar stores too.:cool:

ken hatch
12-04-2018, 9:58 AM
The 'City' part is strong talk. Used to be a catfish restaurant, marina, and gas station. Now it's got a couple dollar stores too.:cool:

Kory,

I spent a large part of my early years in Coffee City clones. In fact my Dad owned a bait and gas stop on Lake Amstead for several years. I think as a way to write off his fishing jones because it sure never made any money:). He and my Mom would go down almost every weekend, by that time I was off seeing the rest of the world.

ken

Kory Cassel
12-04-2018, 6:12 PM
Kory,

I spent a large part of my early years in Coffee City clones. In fact my Dad owned a bait and gas stop on Lake Amstead for several years. I think as a way to write off his fishing jones because it sure never made any money:). He and my Mom would go down almost every weekend, by that time I was off seeing the rest of the world.

ken
Ken,
Well I can certainly relate to your Dad's dilemma with this woodworking thing I've got goin on! LOL Time and no money or money and no time. I too left Texas, poked around a bit, but I decided better come back to where life moved at my speed...slow and easy.:D

Steve Southwood
12-04-2018, 8:40 PM
Looks good Ken. BTW, I finally started on mine.

ken hatch
12-05-2018, 5:35 AM
Looks good Ken. BTW, I finally started on mine.

Steve,

Thanks, Congrats on the start. I hope you will do a tic-toc of the build with photos.

Will it be small and portable or a big sucker?

ken

Steve Southwood
12-05-2018, 5:22 PM
Will be the same as Will's in the video. Height will be a touch taller.

ken hatch
12-06-2018, 1:10 AM
Will be the same as Will's in the video. Height will be a touch taller.

Steve,

I've used the portable sized bench for the last couple of years usually in preference to my massive French/English bench. I think you will be very happy with its performance.

ken