“Shop closing, too many employees diagnosed with lung cancer.”

I wonder if they have brooms for sale?

Jason Roehl
10-28-2018, 8:30 AM
I wonder if they have brooms for sale?

New, never used.

Lee Schierer
10-28-2018, 8:38 AM
You obviously don't want to purchase their dust collection system.

Anthony Whitesell
10-28-2018, 8:52 AM
You obviously don't want to purchase their dust collection system.

Why not? Probably very little use.

Malcolm Schweizer
10-28-2018, 9:04 AM
I have seen this to the point I had to do a double-take to be sure it wasn't the same shop. Sawdust was caked in the saw like presswood. This shop had the on/off switch on the saw wired backwards-red on, green off. I helped them fix their issues and then ran like the wind away from it.

Bradley Gray
10-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Running a saw like that without DC, it wouldn't take very long to get it to that state - a stack of MDF ripped up would probably do it.

40 years ago a neighbor had an ancient 36" planer that was flat- belted to a tractor PTO. He ran it outdoors with no dust collection - he would drag the thing 10 yards or so when the pile got too big.

Brian Henderson
10-28-2018, 1:19 PM
I will never understand ads like that, and I see a lot of them. Tools that are rusted, caked with dust, piled high with junk, things that could easily be fixed and would sell for more money, the pictures just show misuse and abuse. And the prices are never low It's like why didn't you clean up first? Aren't you embarrassed to operate like that? You ought to be!

Wade Lippman
10-28-2018, 2:30 PM
I will never understand ads like that, and I see a lot of them. Tools that are rusted, caked with dust, piled high with junk, things that could easily be fixed and would sell for more money, the pictures just show misuse and abuse. And the prices are never low It's like why didn't you clean up first? Aren't you embarrassed to operate like that? You ought to be!

I don't know what you are talking about.

They want $300 for it.

Malcolm Schweizer
10-28-2018, 2:35 PM
I don't know what you are talking about.

They want $300 for it.

They would have to pay me $300 to take it.

Perry Hilbert Jr
10-30-2018, 2:41 PM
I have been following the price of lathes on CL. I got two good deals in 5 years. Missed another two because I waited till 9 am to call. I see old rusted Craftman two tube lathes without motor and the asking price is over $300. Rust=vintage=extra dollars,,, I guess. Or a Central machinery lathe with a set of cheapest chinese knives possible for $750. Are these folks just that stupid, or is there some sucker out there that I have not met. I ran a set of tractor chains on CL, one guy responded by email and asked if they were good for pushing logs. (?) My step son, had a camping trailer with a leaky roof and mushy floor. He paid $250.00 for it. Used it for a month and ran it on CL. He sold it for $2,300. He never even fixed it. I did miss a good one a few months ago. Somebody actually had one of the original stone Mason Dixon Line markers, quarried in England and put in in the 1700's during the famous survey. They wanted $25. It was gone before an hour was up.

Barry McFadden
10-30-2018, 9:30 PM
I have been following the price of lathes on CL. I got two good deals in 5 years. Missed another two because I waited till 9 am to call. I see old rusted Craftman two tube lathes without motor and the asking price is over $300. Rust=vintage=extra dollars,,, I guess. Or a Central machinery lathe with a set of cheapest chinese knives possible for $750. Are these folks just that stupid, or is there some sucker out there that I have not met. I ran a set of tractor chains on CL, one guy responded by email and asked if they were good for pushing logs. (?) My step son, had a camping trailer with a leaky roof and mushy floor. He paid $250.00 for it. Used it for a month and ran it on CL. He sold it for $2,300. He never even fixed it. I did miss a good one a few months ago. Somebody actually had one of the original stone Mason Dixon Line markers, quarried in England and put in in the 1700's during the famous survey. They wanted $25. It was gone before an hour was up.

It was probably counterfeit.....

John Lanciani
10-31-2018, 7:40 AM
...This shop had the on/off switch on the saw wired backwards-red on, green off...

As an obscure aside, in the utility industry (Electrical transmission and distribution) red is on and green is off. After 28 years in the field I push the green button on my tools to try and shut them off at least once every time I am in the shop. I have actually considered re-wiring all of my machines as it would be safer for me.

Mike Cutler
10-31-2018, 8:38 AM
As an obscure aside, in the utility industry (Electrical transmission and distribution) red is on and green is off. After 28 years in the field I push the green button on my tools to try and shut them off at least once every time I am in the shop. I have actually considered re-wiring all of my machines as it would be safer for me.

It's not that obscure John
I've worked in nuclear power plants for almost thirty five years and know exactly what you mean.

To the OP
I've also seen adds like that, and it just kind of makes you wonder.
There was one recently for an Oliver 166 that was in pieces, lying in the dirt, with rust bloom. I thought the person selling would have been more successful had they cleaned it up a bit, assembled it, and took a better picture. I'm sure it sold though.