PDA

View Full Version : OT: Partition size for Win98SE?

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-28-2005, 4:38 PM
I am getting up the courage to double boot my system. I will only have one application plus the operating system on the Win98SE partition and wonder if a gig is too much or two little for the partition.

John Miliunas
11-28-2005, 6:17 PM
Don, unless the application is massive and/or uses a LOT of HDD cache, 500mb should be plenty. Have you ever tried running it in XP under the "Windows Compatibility Mode"? You could save yourself a whole lot of hassle if it works.:) :cool:

11-28-2005, 6:59 PM
John, when I tried the compatability option it only gave me a few choices and the program I want wasn't among them and I couldn't see any way to add it. Thanks for the reply and help.

Tim Armstrong
12-01-2005, 1:35 AM
Hey Don - I don't know all the history but reading between the lines, it sounds like you have an application that only runs in 98 but you have XP on the machine. Instead of a dual-boot scenario, have you looked into Virtual PC software or VM ware? It would allow you to run a 'virutal machine' with Windows 98 inside a window in your XP machine. The application would never have a clue that it was running in a virtual machine. Depending on how often you use the app, you may find this to be a much easier solution than rebooting to go back and forth. We use it all the time to run win98 or 2k on the XP machines. We also use it to run Server OSs on the XP machines - works great.

Either way, do you need to budget space for an anti-virus app as well?

12-01-2005, 4:35 PM
Tim, you are way ahead of me there. I have never heard of the method you describe. However I am still really living in the 20th century since that is where I spent most of my time.(G) The extra space for VS is a good idea although I really don't expect to use 98 on line.

Jerry Clark
12-02-2005, 8:29 PM
Don you may want to check out "Restart". looks like a free program which will allow you to switch from one operating system to another with a click of the icon. I saw it on Cnet. :)

Travis Porter
12-02-2005, 9:53 PM
I am getting up the courage to double boot my system. I will only have one application plus the operating system on the Win98SE partition and wonder if a gig is too much or two little for the partition.

I agree on the disk space comments. 500 meg should be plenty. If you are wanting to dual boot for the reasons I do compatiblity mode doesn't work. My bias for having win 98 was to play doom and doom2 over a network and XP doesn't do the IPX/SPX that it requires to work.

12-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Don you may want to check out "Restart". looks like a free program which will allow you to switch from one operating system to another with a click of the icon. I saw it on Cnet. :)

Thanks for the heads up, Jerry.