PDA

View Full Version : Storing Pool Chlorine in Garage Shop

John Goodin
10-27-2018, 12:51 PM
We have a pool that requires the 3" chlorine pucks and I am a loss for the best place to store them. They come individually sealed and in 25 pound bucket but I am concerned about off-gassing and tool rust. They have been in the garage and I have noticed some above average rusting. Not really the table saw top but smaller bolts on my Incra miter gauge, Worksharp, etc.

I am particular about the condition of my tools and this is driving my nuts. Living in central Texas it gets too hot to keep chlorine outside in the summer and is too moist many other seasons. My solution was to turn the pool into a catfish pond, thereby eliminating the need for chlorine, but I have been outvoted by my wife and daughters. Apparently, I was wrong when I assumed our household was a divine right monarchy. Is there a container that can prevent off-gassing? other solutions? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

johnny means
10-27-2018, 1:03 PM
Just stick them outdoors in some rain proof container.

Lee Schierer
10-27-2018, 1:10 PM
I use similar tablets for our sewer system. They come loose in an air tight container with a rubber seal. Chlorine tablets (https://www.amazon.com/Norweco-Crystal-Residential-Disinfecting-Tablets/dp/B00ZV113BI/ref=pd_nav_hcs_rp_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ZV113BI&pd_rd_r=dbabaade-cc52-4350-b37f-c5eabb3ac319&pd_rd_w=W1xZr&pd_rd_wg=2w1Ib&pf_rd_i=nav-high-confidence-slot&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1f389e35-a4a8-4fe9-bcb3-352102c5df87&pf_rd_r=20YZNJZPVQWYQXSVNDKR&pf_rd_s=nav-high-confidence-slot&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=20YZNJZPVQWYQXSVNDKR) Perhaps you need to store them in a sealed container such as an ammunition box.

Peter Christensen
10-27-2018, 1:19 PM
Chlorine will cause corrosion of aluminium. Most metals actually.

Can you get one of those outside trash can or deck storage bins and keep it by the fence? Rubbermaid made a variety as do others.

Peter Kuhlman
10-27-2018, 4:38 PM
In Louisiana I just kept mine in the plastic bucket by the pool filter. It had some shade during the day but not all the time. Never had a problem just leaving it out there.
What you really need to be careful of is if you store the jugs of liquid acid used for pools. That seeps out thru the plastic and will destroy most metals. I learned that the hard way. Far more damaging than the chlorine tablets.

Lee DeRaud
10-28-2018, 5:25 PM
How about ammo cans? I'm not sure the metal GI ones are airtight, but the plastic Harbor Freight ones are.

Doug Garson
10-29-2018, 8:59 PM
I'm sure Texas gets hot in the summer but why is that an issue when storing chlorine tablets in a sealed container?

Lee Schierer
10-29-2018, 9:26 PM
It should not be a problem, they ship these chemicals all over the country in the back of trucks. Moisture releases the chlorine.

Ronald Blue
10-30-2018, 9:44 PM
Just a word of caution, while tablets are not as risky it's still chlorine and probably some loose granules in the bucket. I don't know the age of your children. However a few years ago my granddaughter had a run in with granular chlorine. Being an inquisitive 8 year old she was fascinated by bugs. Their pool used granular rather than tablets and her father was getting ready to add chemical. She had "captured" a bug and was looking for a container to put it in. The chlorine bucket was setting there and she lifted the lid. When she saw it wasn't empty she shut the lid quickly. This caused a poof of dust to be emitted right into her face. She immediately begin coughing and gasping for breath. A 911 call, life flight, and short hospital stay later she is fine. No damage to her lungs. Chlorine isn't harmless and should be kept where small kids can't get to it. No advise on where or how to store it but keep in mind who might get into it that shouldn't.