PDA

View Full Version : New Veritas 40th Anniversary Dual Marking Gauge and Les Outil Cullens Gauges

Hasin Haroon
10-26-2018, 12:30 PM
Just noticed Rob Lee has been up to more of his evil plans to, you know, part us with our money (and our partners as a result):

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=77041&cat=51&ap=1

It just looks so nice and hefty...and so stainless

Also, they seem to be carrying the marking gauges from Les Outil Cullens, though they dont mention them by name. I remember seeing these on thebestthings and wishing they were easier to find in Canada.

Vincent Tai
10-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Shhhh Hasin, the less people know the more chances I have of acquiring this one weeks later! The stainless gauge is very very pretty, would instantly become a daily tool for me. If I can get my grubby hands on it that is.

Mike Henderson
10-26-2018, 12:38 PM
And to add to this, I believe free shipping starts today.

Mike

Hasin Haroon
10-26-2018, 12:40 PM
It's all part of Rob's elaborate plan!

Matthew Hartlin
10-26-2018, 2:08 PM
What perfect timing, I've been watching the North Bennet Street School toolbox project on Finewoodworking recently and lusting over the marking gauge that was being used in the project. Had no idea of the maker or how to search for one similar. Turns out it's a Les Outils. Now, do I need another gauge is the question...

Malcolm Schweizer
10-26-2018, 4:55 PM
Does it come with a divorce lawyer?

Rob Luter
10-26-2018, 5:33 PM
I’m in. Ordering tomorrow.

Van Huskey
10-26-2018, 7:42 PM
Just in case someone doesn't notice the link is to the Canadian site (makes sense since the OP is in Canada) the US price is $69.

Tom M King
10-26-2018, 10:19 PM
Thanks Hasin, Mike, and Van. The three of you talked me into it. Rob should give you at least a small commission.

Bill Houghton
10-26-2018, 10:38 PM
It's pretty, but, really, what's the magic of this design?

Bruce Haugen
10-26-2018, 11:27 PM
Bill, it looks a lot like this395538, a Stanley 91. I have one, and I can say I’ve used it a few times, but I don’t chop a lot of mortises by hand. I’m sure Rob’s people have improved on the original.

David Eisenhauer
10-27-2018, 1:46 AM
Bill, apparently, the twin rods with cutters do a better job of marking out a mortise outline than a wheel cutter with a double cutter in place. Typically, the double cutter type does not do a good job on marking both sides of the mortise (marks the near side well, but the off side is faint) and the twin rod type is supposed to mark both sides of the mortise equally. Resident Oz Derek C has long crowed about his one-off or limited run twin rod wheel gauge in SS that he got from Rob Lee years ago and it may be that Rob has decided to re issue this tool as a result of Derek's recomendation. I have not used a twin rod type, but do testify that the double cutter wheel style marking gauge does take some extra care in use to get acceptable results when marking out mortises.

Derek Cohen
10-27-2018, 2:43 AM
Hi David

Few mixed up points here .. :)

I have the dual marking gauge, but I purchased this some while ago - it is freely available on the LV site. The new SS version looks great, but I doubt that I will purchase it as the brass version is enough. Only need one.

The wheel gauge that I have been so thrilled with is the SS single beam gauge that came out several years ago as an anniversary model. I purchased two, and they are among my favourites. This gauge has now been re-issued, but in brass and with the fine adjuster. Mine came courtesy of pre-production testing for Lee Valley. I like it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Eisenhauer
10-27-2018, 10:48 AM
Sorry Derek, I thought your rare ish SS version gauge was the double rod type. I do remember that you always stated it was a keeper and that the SS version was not currently available. Your association with LV has resulted in some good tool reviews as well as tool use insights that I believe many of us read with interest. Always interested in the writeups.

lawrence munninghoff
01-03-2019, 6:13 PM
How do you like the 40th anniversary dual marking gauge those of you who have one?

Tony Zaffuto
01-03-2019, 9:12 PM
How do you like the 40th anniversary dual marking gauge those of you who have one?

Santa (SWMBO) bought me one for Christmas. My Titemark was always my goto, but this new gauge has surpassed it. It can be used as a single or dual, and though it does not have the micro adjust feature of the Titemark, I do not miss that feature at all. IMO, this gage is a bargain at the price.

By the way Santa also brought me one of the pencil holding gages, described as having issues with finish, etc. I like it, and mine didn't have anything wrong with the appearance. Regardless, one day on my bench would have it scratched, dented and painted splattered!

Hasin Haroon
01-03-2019, 11:07 PM
I agree that it is a bargain for the price. I bought the stainless steel one and sold my old veritas mortise gauge. The SS one feels a lot better made and machined, down to the shaft clamp on it.

I also did get les outils cullens gauge, but I am less than impressed by it for the price. It doesnt lock square, and the brass components rattle around a bit. In addition, the cutters came unsharpened and in pretty rough shape. For the price, I expected a lot better.

Mike Brady
01-04-2019, 9:57 AM
It's pretty, but, really, what's the magic of this design?
I'm with you Bill. I had the brass version of this gauge and bought it on the personal recommendation of Jeff Miller. I just could not get used to the eccentric location of of the rods in the head. The off-center mass of it made want to rotate and take control of the scribing, while I preferred to be in control of that. I also found the second rod to constantly be in the way. I was good for laying out mortises, but that wasn't enough utility to outweigh the Tite-Mark's features