PDA

View Full Version : My most cherished Moulding Plane and a shameless power tool gloat. (Long?)

Steve Wargo
11-28-2005, 2:27 PM
Well last week I made it to my Mother's for Thanksgiving. She gave me a nicely decorated bag and card and said Happy belated Birthday. I opened it up and inside I found this nice, fairly clean, 1 3/8" Ohio Tool rebate plane. I thought to myself, "Wow, that's kind of cool she would think of me like that". Then she told me it was Miles'. Miles was my stepfather, and passed away two years ago of Castleman's disease. He was the true meaning of a "hippie" and proud of it. He actually lived in a log cabin he built in the 60's for about 8 years. He also built all of the furniture that was in it. I had no idea that she even had any of his old tools, but was even more touched when she found one in the attic and thought that I deserved it. I have about 85 moulding planes, ranging from complex moulders to a nice complete matched half set of Preston H/R's set at 50 deg pitch with skewed irons, and none of them now compare to this simple rebate plane. Pretty cool. Went home that night and reground the iron, and sharpened and honed it. It will be a user. The second picture is of my most recent powertool acquisition. An Inca/ Jointer Planer. Won't go into details because this is the Neanderthal side, but it is a nice tool, and I really just don't want to make two posts.

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/images/MilesPlane.jpg

http://madhunkyworkshop.com/images/Inca.jpg

tod evans
11-28-2005, 2:44 PM
a plane from family should be cherrished more than a norris! congrats, tod

Mike Wenzloff
11-28-2005, 2:52 PM
Nice and thoughtful gift!

It's a skewed shoulder plane I think. Very useful...especially the memories it'll invoke when used.

My most cherished tools are those from family, used in days gone by. Even used them to build our log cabin in the 1970s and furnish it...oddly enough we lived in it for a about 8 1/2 years as well. Two of our boys were born and spent their early life in that cabin.

I think they are waiting for me to croak so they get the family tools <G>.

Again, what a great gift. Take care, Mike

Steve Wargo
11-28-2005, 3:07 PM
It is skewed Mike.

Dave Anderson NH
11-28-2005, 3:07 PM
Well, you know my feelings about family owned tools Steve. There are absolutely no tools in my shop that I cherish as much as the ones passed down to me by up to 5 generations of my family. Every one of them is cared for carefully and most get used. You have a great momento, not to speak of a good user tool.