PDA

View Full Version : Worshiping STEM

Tom Bender
10-25-2018, 7:40 AM
Math wallaper is becoming a thing. Haven't decided how I feel about it.

Bill Dufour
10-25-2018, 9:40 AM
Is this actual wallpaper or just a computer screen thing?

Tom Bender
10-25-2018, 3:26 PM
It's just something people put up behind something or someone making a point of some kind, to give it weight.

I'll have to grab an example and post it.

Roger Feeley
10-25-2018, 4:57 PM
I just googled 'math wallpaper' and it's all images for your computer. It looks too busy to me.

Looking at the subject of this thread, "Worshiping STEM", I heard a thing the other day about how there is a shortage of people for the skilled trades. Well, DUH. I saw that coming a long time ago.

-- I taught shop at an affluent high school back in the '80s. If you were interested in a trade and not 'college bound' the school really didn't have anything for you.
-- There's a term now in some schools. "Yale or Jail" which is to say that if you aren't in all the AP/IB classes, the school isn't interested in you
-- With things like Monster.com, business have become consumers of skills rather than producers. It's easier to hire someone with the precise combination of skills and experiences you need than to find an apt learner and nurture them. The result is that businesses just aren't as involved in training as they used to be.

That's all in addition to lack of shop classes, outsourcing, offshoring and all the other stuff. I'm just thinking about our collective attitudes towards kids and jobs and training.

I can tell you that MY two grandsons won't want for those experiences. Grandma and Grandpa live about 30 feed from the grandkids and the older one already hangs around the shop when someone can watch him (he's 2 1/2). He loves it.

Bruce Page
10-25-2018, 6:14 PM
I have no idea what "Worshiping STEM" means. (Google doesn't either)

Art Mann
10-25-2018, 10:54 PM
It sounds like a derogatory term rooted in jealousy but who knows.

John K Jordan
10-25-2018, 11:03 PM
I have no idea what "Worshiping STEM" means. (Google doesn't either)

I thought he was referring to the strong focus on STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) programs at some schools.

Bruce Page
10-26-2018, 1:18 AM
I thought he was referring to the strong focus on STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) programs at some schools.

Well knock me down and call me Susan. :)

William Adams
10-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Didn't we already have this discussion?

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?267374-Why-are-we-still-teaching-algebra