PDA

View Full Version : bearing upgrade for a old shaper

Daniel Jones
10-24-2018, 8:08 PM
hey guys i have a old 3hp shaper that i use only with a shelix head for edge joining. i have replaced the bearings once before, and its time to change them again. the bearing that was in it was a 6205z is there a better type of bearing i can use to get more life out of them?

Bill Dufour
10-24-2018, 8:18 PM
I would use a 6205RR type if the rpm is not too high. This has rubber seals to keep dust out. ZZ has shields which allow dust to soak the oil out of the grease.
SKF says 14,000 RPM max.
Depending on ease of change out I would buy no name bearings from the bay.
Bill D.

Daniel Jones
10-24-2018, 9:01 PM
im only seeing a couple RR ones but i'm seeing 2RS is that the same thing?

Daniel Jones
10-24-2018, 9:02 PM
i will say i don't mind paying a bit more if they are actually better

Bill Dufour
10-24-2018, 9:06 PM
2rs is the same as RR. R is for rubber seal. Z or ZZ is for metal non-touching shield.

David Kumm
10-24-2018, 11:47 PM
Is there a reason why the original bearing was open on one side? Absent the dust issue, a shielded bearing has a higher speed rating than a sealed. Probably not an issue here as the 6205 is a pretty small bearing for a shaper. A small bearing has a higher speed rating but a lower load rating so they won't last under heavy use like a larger one. A SKF Explorer or Natchi Quest are an ABEC 3 which are slightly better precision. Open bearings are easier to source in a high precision but sealed or shielded are typically stamped steel ABEC 1 or 3 so just buy a decent SKF, F.A.G., Barden or Japanese Natchi or NTN. Dave

Brian Runau
10-27-2018, 6:44 PM
hey guys i have a old 3hp shaper that i use only with a shelix head for edge joining. i have replaced the bearings once before, and its time to change them again. the bearing that was in it was a 6205z is there a better type of bearing i can use to get more life out of them?

Speed should not be an issue. Sealed RR or 2RS (different seal designations by brand) is the best seal you can get on the std bearing. Spend the money for a Nachi Koyo(Japanese quality) brand and you can go to an Industrial Distributor in your area and maybe get abetter price. These smaller SKF bearings are made by the millions overseas and this is probably made in China with a premium name brand price. Bearing life is based on the load in relation to the size of the rolling element in the bearing and how well it keeps contamination out. Might have left one size open to save that cost of the shield or the seal. When you consider how many they probably use it adds up, but is a poor design choice. You could add a V-ring seal to the set up for minimal cost if you have the room to do so.

http://www.allsealsinc.com/forsheda_oil_seals.html

Brian