PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Dust Collection

Edward Weingarden
10-24-2018, 7:59 AM
I recently got a new Grizzly cabinet saw. The dust collection port (4") has a small diameter tube going up to a "funnel" underneath the blade, with the remaining area of the opening for collecting dust from the cabinet. I think it's a very poor design as it's effectiveness is minimal. Has anyone with this type of port made modifications to accommodate a 6" duct. If so, how did you modify it? Thanks.

glenn bradley
10-24-2018, 8:16 AM
This is pretty typical for tablesaws with blade shrouds. Saw Stop uses the same design although, like you I am going to cut it to a 6" the next time I get time. In the mean time the collection is "good" with my little 2HP cyclone, just not "great". How much DC do you have behind it? Also, take care on your expectations for DC. Even so called "dustless" shops are still pretty dusty to some folks.

Edward Weingarden
10-24-2018, 8:51 AM
Glenn:
My DC is a 3hp cyclone for which I'm just completing the installation. In the mean time, I've been using a 2hp non-cyclone run directly to the saw (no branch ducts). Based upon the effectiveness of the direct connect 2hp, I'm not optimistic that the cyclone will do better given the fact that it's a longer distance with turns along the ducting to the cyclone.

glenn bradley
10-24-2018, 9:11 AM
I would say you are correct. A 2hp bagger probably moves more air than a 3hp cyclone. The separator function really puts a hit on your air flow. The dramatic increase in performance by folks who have changed from 4” to 6” ports gives me a good feeling about heading that way.

Wade Lippman
10-24-2018, 10:57 AM
Bear in mind that the airflow is restricted by what can go by the blade. If you have a ZCI or it is entirely covered by the wood you are cutting, it is pretty close to zero. You can open the port up to 10" and it won't much matter. Overhead collection is much more important.

Peter Christensen
10-24-2018, 11:41 AM
If there is an access door or the motor cover that can be opened a little it will allow more air into the cabinet to flow out carrying the dust with it. Try cracking them a little at a time and see if it improves things.

Wade Lippman
10-24-2018, 7:11 PM
If there is an access door or the motor cover that can be opened a little it will allow more air into the cabinet to flow out carrying the dust with it. Try cracking them a little at a time and see if it improves things.

That just draws air from the access door to the port. Doesn't do much for the dust being cut.

Ed Gibbons
10-25-2018, 5:29 PM
With my cyclone system, I use 6” ducts. For my jointer and table saw, I made 6” ports. It makes a difference. Because of my sensitivity, I usually wear a dust mask. I also turn on 2 window exhaust fans after I leave the shop. Did I say I also vacuum before I leave the shop?

Edward Weingarden
10-26-2018, 8:47 PM
Ed:
Did you somehow cut away the cabinet of your table saw where the 4" port is to enlarge it to 6"? If so, how did you do it?

Chris Parks
10-26-2018, 10:05 PM
That just draws air from the access door to the port. Doesn't do much for the dust being cut.

It certainly won't harm it, that's for sure.

Chris Parks
10-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Ed:
Did you somehow cut away the cabinet of your table saw where the 4" port is to enlarge it to 6"? If so, how did you do it?

Make or buy the adapter for the 6" hose, mark the panel out using that and most jigsaws using the correct blade will cut the excess out. The biggest issue then becomes making sure that the cabinet has enough air inlets not to starve the dust extractor, this will depend on the capacity of the DE.

Peter Christensen
10-26-2018, 10:41 PM
Once the extra airflow in is determined by the open door area, holes (especially with bell mouth openings) can be added around the top of the cabinet to carry the dust down towards the 6” DC port.

Rhys Hurcombe
10-27-2018, 1:00 AM
I run a 4" Overhead and a 6" cabinet port with my sawstop but that's with a 5hp DC. Took the constricted blade shroud off and with 6" into the cabinet you still need a place for the air to flow from so I modified the side door where you can access the motor to allow more air in. You can have the biggest ports on your machines but if there isn't anywhere for the air to flow from and through to pick up the particles on the way through it's no good.

Ed Gibbons
10-27-2018, 3:00 PM
I cut an opening a with a hack saw and screwed on a 1/2” pice of ply that I cut a perfectly symmetrical circle that I screwed the connector to. I’ll try and send some pics.

Ed Gibbons
10-27-2018, 3:16 PM
Having trouble posting pics. Send me your email and I will send you the pics.

Tom M King
10-27-2018, 5:06 PM
You have to let in enough air so it can move enough to be effective. This is my portable saw, and built before they ever gave any thought at all to dust collection. There is no blade shroud, and openings all over the place. With this low tech solution, that involves a lot of blue tape, and rags stuffed into openings under the top, a portable 3hp 4-bagger gets all the dust, even with a ZCI.

The motor cover was missing when I bought it for 400 bucks off CL, so I built a wooden box for the motor cover. That box has wooden rails to allow a 12"x12" furnace filter to be slid in. The filter is not to filter the air going in, but to keep dust from getting thrown out while air is coming in.

Some heavy particles will end up on top of the table, but all the small stuff gets sucked away. We can cut MDF inside a finished house, and there is not a hint of dust left anywhere.

In short, you'll have to figure out a way to let air get in yours.

Edward Weingarden
10-28-2018, 4:34 PM
Ed:
PM sent with email address. Thanks.

Jim Andrew
10-31-2018, 1:18 PM
My Hammer table saw has a 4" hose under the table, and just 2" above the table, and it is amazing how well it works. Seems the main problem with dust from tablesaws is above the table.

Allan Dozier
11-01-2018, 7:52 AM
I finally got around to upgrading my dust collection. This is my old Unisaw which of course has no blade shroud underneath. I enlarged the cabinet port for a 6" hose and installed a Sharkguard with the 4" port. I tested it with several different cuts and did not get a single piece of dust on the table. I have a hook on the overhead that I can hang the blade guard on for non-through cuts. Sorry for the photo angle, it took forever to get the photo attached from my iPhone and Mac and I don't have the energy to find out how to rotate it.https://sawmillcreek.org/blob:https://sawmillcreek.org/727fc544-49a6-42f8-9d68-487ba436d893

Edward Weingarden
11-01-2018, 8:29 AM
I don't see a photo.

Allan Dozier
11-01-2018, 9:49 AM
Yeah, I give up for now. It was so easy to post photos when I used a Windows computer and a digital camera. Now that I use my iPhone mostly for photos it isn't easy and I need to learn. Probably should just make an appointment at the Apple store.

Jack Frederick
11-05-2018, 1:42 AM
I had a '48 Unisaw that I added dust collection to. It was a 4" port. I cut 1/4" tempered HB to create ramps from the front to back and along each side funneling the dust to the port. It was a big improvement. I agree that the trouble is down in the gullet of the blade. I ended up giving that saw to a friend in need when the kids bought me a Sawstop, but I was going to run an air line under the table to see if a bit of air flow perpendicular to the blade would free up that carried dust under the table so the DC could pick it up.