PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraving Tempered Glass

Liesl Dexheimer
10-23-2018, 1:06 PM
Can tempered glass be laser engraved?

John Lifer
10-23-2018, 2:03 PM
I have been told it's best not. I haven't actually tried, others may respond. Sandblasting is preferred along with Crystal.

Liesl Dexheimer
10-23-2018, 2:12 PM
I didn't think so. Thank you for your response. I had told a potential customer I couldn't but then wanted to double check here on the forum.

Bruce Volden
10-23-2018, 2:39 PM
I tried to use a glass cutter ONCE and it scored just fine!
Didn't break on the score line 'tho--but it shattered everywhere else!
I must have forgotten I took it out of an older storm door.

I know, nothing to do with engraving but, I am bored.

Bruce

Mike Null
10-23-2018, 7:28 PM
YES. I do a lot of tempered glass and I use 3 passes at low power using an 80% black. My goal is a frosted look. I will do at least 3000 pieces annually, engraving just a logo. There are no do-overs and the logo must be perfect hence the third pass.

Tempered glass is not a problem but have your strategy worked out ahead of time.

David Takes
10-23-2018, 9:49 PM
Yes, you can laser engrave tempered glass. I even sandcarve it, making sure I do not exceed a depth of 10% of the thickness of the glass. It's never been a problem.

Joe Pelonio
10-24-2018, 9:06 PM
Our local bus system has leased engraving on the glass, I noticed, and it’s not as clear and sharp as on the polycarbonate panels.

David Takes
10-24-2018, 9:34 PM
I could be wrong but a doubt a bus system would be doing something as permanent as laser engraving on their glass. You may be looking at the frosted vinyl that is used for the etched look on glass.

Mike Null
10-25-2018, 7:52 AM
One of our local engravers had an ongoing job to engrave automotive safety glass samples for the glass manufacturer. This was quite some time ago so the technology may have changed.

Liesl Dexheimer
10-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Thank you for the replies. At least I now know for the future. Does sound a little tricky getting the right settings so I guess I would need to practice and charge accordingly.

Joe Pelonio
10-25-2018, 10:19 PM
I could be wrong but a doubt a bus system would be doing something as permanent as laser engraving on their glass. You may be looking at the frosted vinyl that is used for the etched look on glass.
No, it’s definitely laser engraving (after 14 years I can tell) and it’s tiny, probably 10 pt lettering in the corner.

Clark Pace
10-26-2018, 8:35 AM
Only 14 years. Wow your still New at this. Just kidding. Been engraving since 1999 myself and still learning stuff.

Kev Williams
10-26-2018, 11:38 AM
Buncha whippersnappers :D

I engraved my first ID plate when I was 12 years old. I turned 64 in July...

And yeah, still learning :)

Joe Pelonio
10-27-2018, 7:00 PM

And yeah, still learning :)
Cool, I turned 66 in July! I used a hand held electric engraver when I was about 17 to mark my tools for working on my car. Not pretty results, but I knew they were mine if someone “borrowed” them.

Lee DeRaud
11-06-2018, 2:15 PM

And yeah, still learning :)I'm 68 and did one at about age 10, so I've got you by about six years.
(A classmate's dad had a watch repair shop with a pantograph scribe engraver, or whatever the "official" terminology is.)

Bert Kemp
11-06-2018, 4:51 PM
Hey I have to be the noobee here only been doing it 6 years and as a hobbyist only:D

Matthew Herrera
02-06-2020, 4:53 PM
I got you all beat, I did my first engraving at 6 months old when I engraved my favorite spoon with my teeth so I would know if my Brother or sister took it. You guys are a bunch of rookies! :D

Matthew Herrera
02-06-2020, 4:58 PM
On a serious note though I just purchased a 100W laser and am considering engraving some tempered glass but the piece is a one time shot. Maybe I should try to acquire a spare piece to practice on first. I'm hearing low power setting so maybe I should just start with 10% and see what happens?

art olin
02-06-2020, 8:58 PM
tempered glass - of course it is laser engravable, uv laser, or Co2, Co2 10.6um as an old technology and to get the frosty effect 9.3um, sometimes 9.2 um. Car Manufacturers tempered glass plants are using 9.3um for this, and 20W-30W marker is enough. Who goes with 100W on the tempered glass?
Kind Regards.

Kev Williams
02-07-2020, 1:22 PM
The issue with tempered glass isn't whether it's engraveable or not, the question is whether or not it's going to explode during or after it's engraved. Seems from the answers above tempered glass is okay to laser etch, but me, I'm thinking that if I engrave the bottom glass shelf in my basement fridge, I'd best not expect it to hold up the weight of 60 cans of Pepsi like it does now ;)

Bill George
02-07-2020, 8:25 PM
tempered glass - of course it is laser engravable, uv laser, or Co2, Co2 10.6um as an old technology and to get the frosty effect 9.3um, sometimes 9.2 um. Car Manufacturers tempered glass plants are using 9.3um for this, and 20W-30W marker is enough. Who goes with 100W on the tempered glass?
Kind Regards.

I seem to remember automotive glass being marked without the benefit of a laser back in the 40's and 50's.

Jerome Stanek
02-08-2020, 6:49 AM
I seem to remember automotive glass being marked without the benefit of a laser back in the 40's and 50's.

That would not have been temper glass but laminated glass back then