PDA

View Full Version : Sign Making Templates Wanted...

Derek Arita
10-22-2018, 3:54 PM
I saw some sign making templates on the recent Rockler ad and that peaked my interest although I know nothing about how to. Are there different fonts available? Do I need a big $ initial outlay? Is the Rockler set good?

John C Bush
10-23-2018, 6:41 PM
Rockler set is easy to use. Only two smaller fonts and one larger fonts IIRC. Plunger router is best to use and use a metal bushing guide instead of the plastic ones included. I have "modified" a couple of the PVC templates when the non plunge router was misaligned and the plastic guide got chewed up. There may be a better template system out there but the Rockler set snaps together and double side taped in place.

Jim Becker
10-23-2018, 8:09 PM
You know...you're missing a very nice tool buying opportunity here, Derek...a CNC for your shop will make very nice signs with no limitations on the character size...and a lot more. LOL Priorities, my friend!!!! (That said, the router templates you ask about should be easy to use)

Derek Arita
10-23-2018, 8:27 PM
You know...you're missing a very nice tool buying opportunity here, Derek...a CNC for your shop will make very nice signs with no limitations on the character size...and a lot more. LOL Priorities, my friend!!!! (That said, the router templates you ask about should be easy to use)

CNC you say? Hmmmmmm...;):D

Jim Becker
10-24-2018, 8:38 AM
"You will be assimilated..." :D

Art Mann
10-24-2018, 11:17 AM
Just to go along with Jim's post, you can't easily make signs like these with a router template. They are 24 inches across and were cut from PVC sheet material. Its pretty easy with a CNC router.

Click to enlarge.

{These pieces are one of a kind and not for sale as it would violate trademark/copyright laws.}

Keith Westfall
10-25-2018, 11:58 PM
Oh yeah!! CNC all the way...!

Jim Andrew
10-26-2018, 7:23 PM
I have one of those sign templates, but you are limited by size. A neighbor wanted a sign for his office, but with bigger letters, so I just cut the letters out of 1/4" ply, then routered the letters out.