PDA

View Full Version : What made you decide which guided tool system to buy?

Ed Blough
11-28-2005, 11:27 AM
I asked these questions over on the Woodnet forum but I thought it might be interesting to read the responses here at SMC. Having asked another question about guided saw systems I see many are sitting on the fence trying to decide which way to go. I see a growing interest in the guided saw systems and think it will increase by leaps and bounds. I also would guess in the not to distant future we are going to see more and more articles on the them in the mags. So far most articles that I have seen only touch the surface of the issue, serving more as introduction to the guide tool system concept.

So let me ask it this way. There are four questions please respond to all four.

1. What was the deciding factor/factors in your decision to buy the system you did? example here could be cost, manufactures reputation, service, friends recommendation, test drive, particular feature the others don't offer, existing tools, etc.

2. What unexpected features/abilities have you since discovered? I don't want to taint the responses by giving examples here or for the next question.

3. What limitation have you ran into?

4. I imagine when you bought the system you had a primary usage in mind. Is that still the primary usage or have you discovered something that could be done with the system that you now call that usage most important? For instance I would guess many bought the guide system to break down sheet goods, but they may have found how handy it was to cut tappers or guide their router and now consider that the most important usage to them?

Mark Singer
11-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Ther are many long posta on this if you do a search...its prtty much all been said over and overand....

Cecil Arnold
11-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Pretty much what Mark said, however, trusting SMC members I got a feeling that Festool was favored slightly and watching some of the Food Fights that developed and how the sales/owners reacted tilted me in that direction. Both systems I considered are overpriced IMHO. The ability to use the FT with beveled cuts and the guide weighted in its favor. To lump questions 2 & 3, none and not many and question 4 turns out to site build cabinets, so breaking down sheet goods turned out to be a bonus. In addition I find the many new, added goodies that expand usage to be eye candy but eye candy I will consider if a need arises.

Jack Diemer
11-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Dust Collection

Ed Blough
11-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Ther are many long posta on this if you do a search...its prtty much all been said over and overand....

Mark I disagree what has been said in most everything I read is, "Mine is better than yours, nay nay" sort of the "Mine is bigger than yours" mentality."

What I'm looking for is real feedback not ad hype or "I don't own either but if I was gone to buy one I would buy ....."

To much has been said from all sides tearing down the competitor, I'm asking what I think is legitimate questions that will help me and hopefully others make an informed decision. And hopefully have it in one thread so everyone doesn't have to read all the junk to get to the facts.

Jeff Sudmeier
11-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Do you already own the tools to use with a guide? If so, buy something other than Festool. If you don't and the price premium is worth the features to you, buy the Festool.

I picked EZ because I already had a router and a saw. The dust collection and better Festool saw would be nice, but I didn't have the cash.

Lets keep it nice everyone :)

Bob Noles
11-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Ed,

Are you considering a purchase or do you seek a general discussion that has already been covered numerous times as Mark has been so kind to point out?

Frank Pellow
11-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Ed, I will answer your question this evening. And, I agree with your response to Mark that you are asking for something that may not have been said before and (I hope) may be more informative than the bulk of past threads on this.

In the meantime, these systems are used for guiding routers as well as saws, so I suggest that you change the title of the thread to: "What made you decide which guided saw and router system to buy?"

Ed Blough
11-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Ed,

Are you considering a purchase or do you seek a general discussion that has already been covered numerous times as Mark has been so kind to point out?

Bob, Yes I'm considering a purchase. And no I don't seek a general discussion. As I have said before instead of supplying information most posts to the past threads merely tore down the competition.

Guys like John Lucas, Bob Marino, and Dino have been very helpful to me and I appreciate each response they have made. However I believe the guided "tool" system concept is something that is going to effect the woodworking both commerical and hobbiest in a big way. But I don't think enough real information is getting out. We are beginning to get glimpses as guys like Jerry Works and Bob Lucas begin publishing articles on how they are pushing the envelop but I think there is much out there already and I'm trying to draw it out. Who would have thought when routers came out that they would be used as they are in dry walling? Yet I would bet there are probably more routers (router look alikes) being used today to hang dry wall as anything else.

I want to know what was the deal maker/breaker in the decision to buy.

I want to know what they thought they were going to use it for and what in fact they are using it for.

I also want to know what limitation they didn't expect or see did they run into.

Ed Blough
11-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Ed, I will answer your question this evening. And, I agree with your response to Mark that you are asking for something that may not have been said before and (I hope) may be more informative than the bulk of past threads on this.

In the meantime, these systems are used for guiding routers as well as saws, so I suggest that you change the title of the thread to: "What made you decide which guided saw and router system to buy?"

Frank I agree I changed the title on this post but I don't know how to change it for the overall thread.
I think the title should be "What made you decide which guide tool system to buy?"

JayStPeter
11-28-2005, 12:43 PM
I want to know what was the deal maker/breaker in the decision to buy.

Dust Collection.

I want to know what they thought they were going to use it for and what in fact they are using it for.

I thought I'd use it for sizing sheet goods. I do, but I also use it for cutting up rough lumber for processing. I've also used it for plenty of things I wouldn't have thought of before owning it.

I also want to know what limitation they didn't expect or see did they run into.

There's a number of methods of work and jigs to make/buy to get the most out of the system. Pencil marks only get you so far, no matter which system you get.

Jay

Paul B. Cresti
11-28-2005, 1:11 PM
Ed,
Well I actually entered into the Festool system by accident. My primary concern was getting a new sanding system. Thus I bought a sander and the vacuum. I added more sanders as time went on.

I first considered a router and guide system to supliment my EFSTS in doing some fluting I needed for a job. The next job that came along required me to trim some very long narrow pieces of sheetgoods at the job site. I asked about the Festool saw because I already had a guiderail and vacuum. In the beginning I never new any other type of system was around. The saw worked very well for my job site needs. After the job was over I sold the saw as I have a EFSTS that surpasses it in every way. The routers & guide rail on the other hand still offer me a very quick easy solution to some tasks but only when the upmost of precision is not needed.

My suggestion is if you like your current tools (saws, routers....) go with a system that allows you to continue to use them. If you want some new tools (they are pricey but they also are nice) also then go with the Festool system. For me, the decision to go to Festool just for the sanding system alone was well worth the price.

Chris Padilla
11-28-2005, 1:27 PM
I went with Festool for dust collection superiority. I'm tired of breathing sawdust and having it cover everything...you think I'd get my darn DC up and going already! :)

However, I also have the EZ guide system and planned to used that for guided my routers (haven't yet) because I didn't want to drop more cash for F routers and gizmos. We'll see if that hold true...so far, so good....

Frank Pellow
11-28-2005, 1:56 PM
Frank I agree I changed the title on this post but I don't know how to change it for the overall thread.
I think the title should be "What made you decide which guide tool system to buy?"
Yes, your change is better than the one that I suggested.

In order to chage the title on the thread, do an Advanced Edit on the first post in the thread. When you change the title of that post, it will change the threads title.

Jim Becker
11-28-2005, 2:03 PM
My decision was based on the fact I wanted a system that was fully integrated with multiple tools and dust/chip collection...from one manufacturer.

Pete Harbin
11-28-2005, 3:22 PM
Ditto to what Jeff said earlier. I already had a CS and routers that I'm happy with, so the EZ made more sense to me. It works extremely well for everything I've thrown at it. And some of Dino's new gadgets have got me drooling.

I did get to make a cut with the Festool at Woodcraft a few months back. It is a slick system. If I wasn't already set for tools I might have given it a more serious look. It's pricey for a hobbyist to get deep into the system, but the tools sure do look and feel nice.

Pete

Chris Barton
11-28-2005, 3:26 PM
I bought the ATF55e and rail system along with MFT1080 primarily because I wanted a safer and easier way to cut sheet goods and the recommendations of others overwhelmingly were/are in favor of the Festool system. I have since found several new applications that are of a great help. For instance, if you glue up any flat surfaces (in my case it was vacuum pressing veneers to substrate) that must then have one side faired to a strait line then, in the past you had to scrape off the glue, joint the edge, etc... With the ATF55e and the guide I just put the guide on the work lining up the edge close to the spot to be trued and saw the line. It's quick and easy. Plunge cutting openings for sinks and the like is very simple with the guide system. Anything I used to do with my table saw and involved lifting and moving large/heavy pieces of sheet goods now is a Festool project.

Scott Parks
11-28-2005, 3:43 PM
1. What was the deciding factor/factors in your decision to buy the system you did? example here could be cost, manufactures reputation, service, friends recommendation, test drive, particular feature the others don't offer, existing tools, etc.
The test drive is what finally got me to pull the trigger. Cost was a limiting factor, but the dust and chips I deal with otherwise was the biggest deciding factor to buy the F system, and it was worth it!. The F system seemed highly recomended. So chip/dust collection would be the primary reason.

2. What unexpected features/abilities have you since discovered? I don't want to taint the responses by giving examples here or for the next question.
1. The ability to scribe a line on nearly anything and trim exactly to that line.
2. I'll never need to crosscut large panels on my table saw again.
3. Trimming doors!
4. Cutting angles on sheet goods.
5. PORTABILITY! I can take this thing to the job site, or even trim a door in the house without making too much of a mess.

3. What limitation have you ran into? None, other than the inconveniences of getting tangled in cords and hoses.

4. I imagine when you bought the system you had a primary usage in mind. Is that still the primary usage or have you discovered something that could be done with the system that you now call that usage most important? For instance I would guess many bought the guide system to break down sheet goods, but they may have found how handy it was to cut tappers or guide their router and now consider that the most important usage to them?
The primary usage was for reducing sheet goods. Now I find myself using it to replace the table saw for any risky type of cut. I use it A LOT more than I thought I would.

Ed Blough
11-28-2005, 4:04 PM
Let me add another thought someone PM'ed me. It seemed he was getting to the age in life where he and his wife were beginning to down size and of course this effected his shop. Something we are all going to face one day or another. He said his guided tool system permitted him to continue to enjoy woodworking without the need to have all the stationary tools that required dedicated shop space.

I think this is a possible selling point for guided tools systems but I don't see any particular system being a standout in regards to this point. Anyone know any.

Steve Clardy
11-28-2005, 6:21 PM
EZ system here. Already have routers and skil saws.
That was a no brainer for me.

Dave Falkenstein
11-28-2005, 6:28 PM
Ed - So far this thread has not produced anything that was not already brought up in your rather lengthy thread on Woodnet. Hopefully SMC will provide a bit more civil exchange than that at Woodnet. You know my thoughts, so I won't repeat them here.

Bob Noles
11-28-2005, 6:33 PM
EZ system here. Already have routers and skil saws.
That was a no brainer for me.

Ed,

I will have to ditto Steve's reply and will add that, after I started using my system, I found my table saw to be of much less value to me and my gcss to be of increased value from a safety stand point. Saves a huge amount of room in my small shop not relying on the TS sitting in the middle of my shop floor.

If I were to answer your inquiry by number it would be as follows.

1. Portability and storability.
2. Expandibility
3. None
4. Primary is still first and foremost with great satisifaction.

Burt Waddell
11-28-2005, 7:45 PM
Ed,

I second your comments. As you said, I'm sure people know where I stand.

Let me add one thought. Many of the comments seem to be on the guided saw cancept in general and actually have very little to do with either of the brands. Each system has some strengths and most of the features can be used with either system. For example Dino is in the process of making repeaters for the Festool products.

Burt Waddell
11-28-2005, 8:03 PM
Ed,

Did your mother ever tell you were a trouble maker??

Burt Waddell
11-28-2005, 8:17 PM
Ed,

I know you saw this on Woodnet. Just thought I would post it here for those who may noty havre seen it.

This is an older list that I had. It shows a lot of basics without putting any one down.

1. Universal. for all right bladed saws, all routers, some planers,
2. Anti chip on and off the guide rails and on both sides of the blade.
3. Self aligning connection. No need to transport or buy long rails.
4. Bidirectional. No need to move the guide or the wood.
5. Longer reach and easy to control circular saw
5. Narrow clamping with the supplied smart clamps 3/4" (they rotate)
down to 1/16" with the smart clamping system.
6. Repeatability on both sides of the guide and both sides of the blade.
7. Easy to slide on and off anti chip edges and inserts.( no tools required)
8. Smart clamps that stay on the guide rail (spring loaded)
9. Dual clamping tracks that you can use 4 smart clamps for warp and crooked wood.(With the strong guide rails) and at the same time eliminates the need for a table.
10.Dove tail tracks for easy slide the guide control unit/smart clamping system/repeaters.
11.Dove tail track on the top for router and CS limit stops.
12. Router system with X-Y (sliding arm) eliminates the measurements and gives you 18" of routing area without the resetting of the guide rail.
13. Same router kit can be used for the planer and with an extra base for Drill.
14. Same router kit can be used as a circle maker.
Same router kit can be used as a duplicator.
15. Smart table kit to fit in your car and support a 4 x 8 panel.
Same kit can be used for Finishing and pocket holes. 100% access for clamping.
16. The lowest price entry system in the market,
With $25.00 you can buy the smart base and use your straight edge.
You can have better cuts than the most expensive system.
17. Dual tracks on the smart base for bevel and straight cuts.
The antichip insert AC-2 helps the stability and the dust collection.
18. You don’t need table saw or jointer .
19. Designed from the get go to comply 100% with the Dead Wood Concept. Total control for all the cuts.
20.This is only a partial list of the EZ Smart. The system was designed with an open mind and not to be limited by work space or tied to special tables.
The open mind and open tracks design allows the user to make any modifications EZ.
21. Turn the ez sideways and you have another routing center for mortise, tenon, and whatever you can think or imagine.

Frank Pellow
11-28-2005, 10:12 PM
When I purchased my Festool circular saw, guide rail, and vacuum, I had never heard of the EZ system, so it was not a factor. I had used a friend's Veritas Power Tool Guide and that supports a traveller for saws and routers. I liked it a lot and was going to buy it until I heard of Festool. I had a good Makita circular saw and a crappy Craftsman router. There were three things that made me pick Festool over Veritas. (1) The dust control with the saw. (2) I liked the idea of not having to clamp the rail. (3) I liked the fact that the saw rode right on the rail and not on an outrigger.

I did not really think much about mobility when I bought the system. But, the tools are so easy to transport and the systainers make things so easy to organize that I am now well equipped for all my off-site work

3. What limitation have you ran into?
(1) I am disappointed on the dust control with the router (but that is not the fault of the guide rail)
(2) I seem to be hard on the rubber strips that one cuts along. I have only had the rails about a year and a half and I have had to re-apply and re-cut the rubber strips four times.

My primary usage was planned to be cutting sheet goods. And, I have cut many, many sheet goods always with good results. The main use that I had not really thought about was routing dados and rabbets. I no longer even own a dado blade set for my table saw. I find that the guided router, is faster to set up, more accurate, safer, and does a cleaner job than a dado blade set.

Frank Pellow
11-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Ed - So far this thread has not produced anything that was not already brought up in your rather lengthy thread on Woodnet. Hopefully SMC will provide a bit more civil exchange than that at Woodnet. You know my thoughts, so I won't repeat them here.
Many of the rest of us don't know them Dave.

David LaRue
11-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Ok, I don't own either the EZ, or the Festool. I purchased the PSI poratble panel saw. It came with two guide rails and base for my circular saw. I purcahsed it several years ago prior to ever knowing about the other brands. I cannot comment on if these others are better or not, but the PSI has served me well. I have a small basement shop, and I need to break down the panels before bringing them into the shop for final sizing. (I also have done final sizing too)

Things I like:
- portable
- makes a perfectly stright line cut (or at an angle if needed)
- ridgid rails single piece
- fit my existing saw

Things I don't like:
- no dust collection
- I've dedicated a saw to the base (not really an issue if you have two saws)
- making repeatable 90 degree cuts is a hassel
- Set up time
- the lenth of the rails is hard to store

Not sure which of my issues would be corrected by the other systems, but Festool seems very refined compared to my PSI. I don't have any router needs that I can use the long straight rail for. So, one of these days I'll have to take a closer look at the Festool. I brought home their free video from Woodcrafta couple of weeks back. I guess I need to spin that disk up and see what I'm missing. :) Best of luck on your purchase. Please report back on on your thoughts after using it a bit. (and include pictures for picture Police)

Dave Falkenstein
11-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Many of the rest of us don't know them Dave.

Frank - One Woodnet thread covered this same topic rather thoroughly, with over 100 posts so far. However, since you asked, here's what I said in my first post in the Woodnet thread:

"...I am a Festool user, and have no first-hand experience with EZ Smart products.

To answer your question, I chose Festool because I liked the way many of the tools work together as a system. Price is always a consideration, but in my mind, not THE primary consideration. People that are cost conscious or looking for the best bang for the buck, are not typically Festool users, because the tools are expensive.

Getting back to the system aspect of Festool, several of the tools work on the guide rails. The guide rails provide very positive control of the plunge circular saw(s) and router(s), and can also be used with the jig saw(s), if your application requires it. The plunge saw sits on the guide rail with no adapters. The routers and jig saws use an adapter. Almost every tool in the Festool line interfaces with the dust extractor and that function works quite well. I think the star for dust collection is the line of sanders - virtually dust-free sanding. You can use other vacs, but the Festool vac offers lots of nice features.

Every tool and accessory in the Festool line is a high quality product. If you appreciate well designed tools and are willing to pay the price, you will really enjoy using Festools. Many people buy one tool, like I did initially, and then come back for more - I'm up to six and about to order two more. There are lots of experienced Festool users at the Festool Owners Group at Yahoo.

Festool also offers excellent customer service, when and if you need it.

You can see Festool products in action by viewing the Test Drive videos at:

http://www.festoolusa.com/faster.aspx

Bob Marino, a member here, is a good source for Festool. You will pay the same price no matter where you buy."

This thread, and two or three others currently going on Woodnet, cover essentially the same questions and replies. IMHO repeating the questions in a bit different fashion will not generate new information, since the other threads are pretty comprehensive (and a bit controversial as well, as this topic tends to become).

Mike Wilkins
11-29-2005, 9:25 AM
Cutting hardwood plywood crooked was what made me seriously look at some kind of guided system. I have a neighbor who has a business building and installing commercial doors. He had a small project for some oak cabinet doors at the local Boys Club, and knowing I have woodworking tools, asked me if I was interested. Took the job; purchased oak plywood; measured the cut; clamped a straightedge and started to cut with a small handheld circular saw with a 6" blade. Finished the cut, which was 1/4" longer on one end than the other. Got a chance to practice my cussing skills.
Looking at the Festool system at The Woodworking Shop store in Raleigh, NC was the deciding factor for me. Looked at the video and placed my order since they were having the special before the model change.
Love this system which got a workout during the construction of some shop cabinets.
So this will have to do until I can save up the coins for the sliding saw that I have been lusting after. Saw an Altendorf at a local cabinet shop; this is one sweet system for cutting sheet goods. But the Festool will have to do for the time being.

Scott Coffelt
11-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I looked at both very hard and tried the EZ out. I heard great things about the Festool system. I decided dust collection was high on the list and the angle cut features of the saw. I also wanted a precision saw for which I just didn't feel a standard CS designed for construction would provide. The price seemed steep at first but int he end it was totally worth it and I got what I had expected and more from the Festool purchase.

* I wanted a precision system with tools designed specifically to fit with the rail system.
* I have little if any chip out of either side of the cut, and with the new TS there is no chip out.
* Self aligning connection. No need to transport or buy long rails. Dito.
* No need for bi-directional, I align my rail to my cuts and go, how often will I cut the exact same with as the rail on both sides...never.
* Rails are 55" on base model which gives me complete cross cut on 4', choice to add aother lengths or buy longer rails, or rails with indexing holes, etc.
* No neeed to use clamps to make cuts, I didn't buy it to rip boards as I have a TS.
* No anti-chip inserts to dork with, just grab the saw and rail and go.
* Choice of several clamps when a clamp is needed, clamps stay hooked to rail if desired.
* Clamps allow rail to attach to a board to rip cuts
* Since tools are designed to fit with rail tools ride smooth with no play
* Rail accepts a variety of stops and accessories
* I can easily stop in the middle of a cut and restart if desired and no chamge in cut or any indication I stopped.
* Router and adapter designed to work with rail and micro-adjustment.
* Each tool is designed to work with the system.
* Optional accessories for all kinds of applications and pattern work
* MFT in multiple sizes can be used as a portable table saw, work bench etc.
* It's a system, not a base attachment.
* Single track/setting for staright or angle cuts
* I wasn't looking to replace my TS, but compliment it.
* Saw designed to work with multiple materials and adjust speed based on load.
I could go on, but it is probably pointless.

Don Bergren
11-30-2005, 11:27 AM
For years I used a combination of three different home made circular saw guides of different lengths along with a PC 314 circular saw to cut sheet goods. I really needed some type of system that was more accurate, and something that would be safer and easier for me to use. I am a quadriplegic and work from a power wheelchair, so control of the saw is critical to safe operation. My home made creations got the job done, but setup was time consuming and it didn't feel safe to me. Add to this the fact that my Dad has to help me cut sheet goods when the desired size is beyond my reach. Now factor in his handicap of being totally blind since 1967, plus the fact that he is now 83 years old. It was hard for him to hold the saw against my home made guide and push it along while keeping his fingers clear of the danger zone. Bottom line was that both of us needed something safer and easier to use.

I looked at the Festool and EZ Smart and researched them as much as possible. Quite frankly, for my needs one seemed as good as the other. I wanted an accurate guide that was safe and easy to setup and both systems fit the bill in that department. I also wanted good dust collection and the Festool had the edge there as far as I was concerned. In my research I did notice a great deal of passion that was at times expressed by owners of both the Festool and EZ Smart. None of that influenced me in a negative way, and I learned from all of my reading that a lot of that passion was the result of folks being so satisfied with the customer service offered by the sellers of their products. That really helped me take at serious look at both EZ Smart and Festool. From a customer service standpoint there was a great deal of praise and satisfaction for the efforts of both Bob Marino and Dino.

After all of my research my choice was the EZ Smart system. I have weakness in my arms that makes down pressure more difficult, and I couldn't see any way that I could use the Festool saw. I just couldn't plunge and push the Festool with confidence, so the system was disqualified only because of my physical disability. Instead I purchased the EZ Smart guide and am using a PC Mag saw that I have prettied up with duct tape to limit the escape of dust.

I used the guide for the first time last week. It worked great for me and I finally have a safe and comfortable system that makes cutting sheet goods an easy experience (I actually had fun doing it). I got my Dad to try it as well and he was really happy with the ease, safety and performance. His hands are his gauge of cut quality and he couldn't believe how smooth the cut was (I couldn't either). I was amazed at how little dust escape the saw when compared to our old method. When everything was cut we stood there and jabbered like idiots about how quickly we got everything cut and what a great system it was for our needs, and how easy it was going to make our lives, and how we should have had something like that years ago. I see myself using the EZ Smart a lot more than I originally thought I would. I definitely plan to add the router attachment in the future.

And that's why I made the purchase of my particular guide brand. It works for me, and it works for my dad.

This post is almost identical to one I made on another forum earlier this week that was a response telling why I chose the guide rail system I chose. After that post Dino responded and said I could e-mail him and he would send me the plastic dust shield for my saw. He also suggested some ideas he had that should make my use of the EZ Smart saw guide much easier for me. At this time we are working together on some things to make it easier for me to use the EZ Smart. He isn't trying to sell me something, and is just trying to help me and get my feedback in hopes that he can help others who might be in a situation similar to mine. That means a lot to me and I think it is a clear indicator of what good customer service is.

Glenn Clabo
11-30-2005, 11:54 AM
My primary reason for buying the EZ ---Cost. I already had the saw/s and I couldn't see what the significant cost of a new saw would bring to the table. The Festool saw is nice but I don't make a living from woodworking so it difficult for me to justify the expense of an additional saw.

Secondary reason---Dino. He is the most helpful individual I've run acroos in all my years of researching and using machinery/tools.

Rough wood edging has been the most unexpected. Haven't used a table saw for a while.

Everything I've tried to do has turned out better than expected. Trimmed a door this weekend and cut out a garage door opening...both went soooo smooth.

Cutting down sheet goods was the primary reason...it turns out that rough wood edging has been the main use but I'm always finding other uses. Router guidance is my next look see.

Paul Berendsohn
12-02-2005, 8:23 AM
Hello folks...

In the interests of accuracy (Dave knows I'm a stickler for accuracy ;) ) I was looking over Scott's list and want to point out that many of the items he lists are in fact at least equally (if not more) applicable to the SmartGuide system. For convenience I'm copying them from his list, with some notes of my own:

* I wanted a precision system

* I have little if any chip out of either side of the cut, and with the new TS there is no chip out. (With the SmartGuide there never was any splintering, etc)

* Self aligning connection. No need to transport or buy long rails. (Here I think it's hard to argue that SmartGuide doesn't have a more sophisticated connecting system although I bet someone will ;))

* No anti-chip inserts to dork with (Dork with? I've never found the
inserts anything but an aid...), just grab the saw and rail and go.

* Choice of several clamps when a clamp is needed, clamps stay hooked to rail if desired.

* Clamps allow rail to attach to a board to rip cuts

* Since tools are designed to fit with rail tools ride smooth with no play

* Rail accepts a variety of stops and accessories

* I can easily stop in the middle of a cut and restart if desired and no change in cut or any indication I stopped.

* Router and adapter designed to work with rail and micro-adjustment.

* Each tool is designed to work with the system. (I'm not sure what the distinction is here if everything fits and works flawlessly in the end)

* Optional accessories for all kinds of applications and pattern work

* MFT in multiple sizes can be used as a portable table saw, work bench etc. (Look into the Smart Table)

* It's a system, not a base attachment. (Perhaps the most misunderstood aspect of the Smart Guide system)

* I wasn't looking to replace my TS, but compliment it.

* Saw designed to work with multiple materials and adjust speed based on load. (I've cut plexi, melamine, aluminum, Formica and MDF so far, as well as fragile veneered ply)

Enjoy the thread!

(edited for typos...grrrrrrr)