PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Model 10 mortiser restoration

chris kenney
10-22-2018, 8:15 AM
Hello all--I just restored a Powermatic Model 10. Everything works great but I can only get 2 1/2 inches of "travel" on the headstock motor down the way. I have the manual nd have performed all the adjustments on the tension spring knob and length of travel knob, both located on back of machine. I must be missing something obvious. Anyone out there have any experience with the machine to shed any light on what I am not seeing?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Chris, a photo taken from a little farther away would be helpful too so we can visualize the entire mortiser.

John Brotherton
09-08-2024, 5:57 PM
Hello all--I just restored a Powermatic Model 10. Everything works great but I can only get 2 1/2 inches of "travel" on the headstock motor down the way. I have the manual nd have performed all the adjustments on the tension spring knob and length of travel knob, both located on back of machine. I must be missing something obvious. Anyone out there have any experience with the machine to shed any light on what I am not seeing?

You will note that there are two smaller knobs on the top of the machine facing horizontally. One adjusts the peddle spring tension as you mentioned. The spring tension knob is more forward and closer to the motor. The other horizontal facing knob on the top of the machine, more to the rear away from the tension knob adjusts the stroke or travel of the chisel from zero (minimum) to 4 inches (maximum travel). For maximum stroke, turn the knob all the way counter-clockwise. This will give you the full four inch stroke to match your chisel bit. As you turn the knob clockwise the stork decreases. Nice Machine !! Always ready to go !