PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
11-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. This time it was a full Holiday Weekend and I was NOT oncall.!!!!!! :D

The only real shop time is just getting Christmas presents made in time for shipping to family and friends.

Left last Tuesday for Alabama.
Spent Tuesday night through Saturday morning with my parents and helped them with putting up Christmas decorations and such. I seem to never go there and come back empty handed. This time, I came back with a New Craftsman 1HP 8" grinder with light and stand. This baby is heavy!!! My dad said that he bought it thinking he was going to use it and favored his 6" variable speed grinder instead and wanted me to get rid of the 8" grinder for him. I says to him, "I've got the perfect place for that"! :rolleyes: :D
He also bought a Top-O-the-Line Craftsman RAS about 16 years ago and it's been in storage since. He bought it, and we used it to build his mother a fence around her small back yard. IT's been in my grandmother's storage building for the last 15-1/2 years. I asked him about it and he said I could have it. I offered to buy it from him and he said that I could just "have" it. So now, I've got to plan a trip to Alabama again to bring back, yet another power tool for my shop.....thanks to "dear ol' dad". :cool: So Yea, you can call this a hidden gloat!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, I'm off work until Wednesday of this week, so it's back to the shop for me today.!!!!!!!

Oh yea, forgot. Arrived home last night just in time for NINE Tornado Warnings and one of them reportedly a few miles from our house!!!! Nothing came close for was quite stormy for a while. Had a WONDERFUL time with family and friends over the Thanksgiving Weekend....very relaxing for the first time in a very long while.

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Eddie Watkins
11-28-2005, 10:52 AM
I spent the holidays finishing a lamp table for the den, fixing a footstool/blanket holder I built several years ago. The lid had been sprung and I replaced hinges and springs. I also installed a storm door with UV protection to protect our front door. I am amazed by how much UV damage an east facing door can sustain. I now get to strip and refinish the door. The door is a mahogany door with a lead glasss insert so it is worth saving. I also replaced the water hoses for the washing machine. I had one rupture a few years ago and it caused over $7,000 in water damage so, I replace them once a year now. The wind was blowing 60-70 miles/hour last night (probably the back end of Dennis' storm) and my PVC pergola is still standing so I'm feeling pretty good about it. It did blow the guttering off my shop, however, so that is probably next weekend's project.

Frank Pellow
11-28-2005, 11:03 AM
It would appear that main accomplishment was that I did not cut myself with a router bit (yes, I did use a router this weekend).

Jim Becker
11-28-2005, 11:10 AM
My weekend accomplishment was making it home with my three remaining working brain cells still firing off... :D

Matt Meiser
11-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Thursday and Friday were a mix of vacuum veneering (which involves a few minutes of glueing and a lot of waiting), spending time with family, and eating. Friday evening I did some Christmas shopping while my wife and SIL went to see Rent with my brother. Saturday I made a lot of progress on my daughter's bed, before that came to a screeching halt and I went to the ER. Sunday I spent most of the day having others do stuff that I was supposed to do over the weekend like putting the blade on the back of my tractor and putting away the deck furniture. My weekwend is going to continue indefinitely at this point.

Jeff Sudmeier
11-28-2005, 11:53 AM
I finally got time to get back out in the shop! Finished up 2 cutting boards, a cork screw and a few pens...

Chip Charnley
11-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Well, I spent most of the weekend loading 2500+bf of 4/4 rough sawn mixed hardwoods (maple, oak, ash, hickory, cherry and black walnut) into a truck, trucking it 3 hours away to a kiln and unloading it to get it down from 12% to 6%-8% and, most importantly, kill the powderpost beetles that showed up in it about 3 weeks ago! :eek:

Then I spent Sunday putting up lights in my new woodshop and working on my table saw table, outfeed table and dust collection connection to same. All in all, a busy weekend and I have sore muscles where I didn't know I had muscles.

Tyler Howell
11-28-2005, 12:29 PM
I spent the weekend practicing shop safety. Built a window casing, demo my prestine plaster wall and quality with family.

Larry Fox
11-28-2005, 12:32 PM
More drawers for me. Need 17 total, did 9 last weekend and 6 this weekend. Would have gotten the remaining 2 but supplier came up short on the 3/8" plywood for the bottom of the two big ones. Also got roped into painting a room by SWMBO in prep for the holidays. Her leverage - those words we all know and fear - "fine, I will do it myself". A painter she is NOT.

Paul Canaris
11-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Making progress on new workshop doors, I'll post pictures when complete.

Matt Meiser
11-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Her leverage - those words we all know and fear - "fine, I will do it myself". A painter she is NOT.

I'm living in fear of the same thing. My wife wants my daughters room painted by Christmas and its not looking like I'll be doing it.

John Miliunas
11-28-2005, 12:47 PM
T-Day w/immediate family. Practiced doing a half-lap, dovetail joint for a large frame I'm making for my daughter, wiring into an existing wall, which also meant drywall work. 'Nuf said about that! :rolleyes: (I like the wiring work but, totally despise drywall work!:mad: ) Have a great week, everyone!:) :cool:

JayStPeter
11-28-2005, 1:07 PM
My accomplishment for the weekend was to gain back all the weight I've lost over the last month of getting back to the gym and eating healthier.

Her leverage - those words we all know and fear - "fine, I will do it myself". A painter she is NOT.

Uggh, that happened to me last weekend.

This weekend we went to the inlaws. They like to eat and shop, so that's what we did. Eat, shop, eat more ... repeat (even ate while shopping). The rest of my Christmas shopping will be via internet, I'm over it!

Jay

Jarrod Nelson
11-28-2005, 1:59 PM
It was Holy Week in Wisconsin. Whitetail gun deer hunting that is. I managed to harvest an 8 point buck and a large doe. Made up some great chili with the burger and backstraps last night. Mmmmmmmmm. . .

John Miliunas
11-28-2005, 2:11 PM
It was Holy Week in Wisconsin. Whitetail gun deer hunting that is. I managed to harvest an 8 point buck and a large doe. Made up some great chili with the burger and backstraps last night. Mmmmmmmmm. . .

Jarrod, being a non-hunter myself, I'm envious! You're making my mouth water!!!! Nice shootin'!:) :cool:

Steve Knowlton
11-28-2005, 4:15 PM
I Had A Nice Long Weekend. Spent Thur., Fri. With Family Obligations. Sat. Watched Some Football And Cleaned Up My Shop. Sunday Church In The Morning, Then Got In The Shop To Finish Cleaning. Then I Finished A 20.5" Chip & Dip Platter. I Will Post When I Find My Camera.

Brad Noble
11-28-2005, 4:49 PM
Me, I'm trying very hard to get my new shop built. Got the siding on and the facia all trimmed out. Now I proceed inside for the REAL work. Electrical comes first. Then insulation, etc. I'll make it some day.

Brad

Vaughn McMillan
11-28-2005, 4:54 PM
This was the first weekend in months that I didn't do any "work" work at all. (OK, I did check my office e-mail Friday from home, but no work for a change.)

Thursday was pretty used up making and eating Thanksgiving dinner. (I'm the cook in the house, so I made the whole thing.) Friday we got the Christmas lights up outside and did other yard-related chores. Saturday and Sunday were spent mostly with other chores like touching up the asphalt cement on the roof penetration flashings, helping LOML report some large plants, with a trip to Rockler and some shop time interspersed throughout. I've got 3 or 4 separate things in progress, and managed to work on all of them without drawing any blood. Also did some cleaning and organizing in the shop, although to the untrained eye, it's still a mess. Lots of shop time planned between now and Christmas.

- Vaughn

Steve Stube
11-28-2005, 4:56 PM
I don't enjoy the shopping panic I've wittnessed with Black Friday and the weekend so the plan was to relax and make a dent in the turkey dinner leftovers. BUT, we like to feed (and see) the birds at the feeders so when I spotted an add for black sunflower seed at $6.86/bag I decided I'd fight the crowd for the sake of the birds. I stocked up @ the 5 bag (250 lbs.) limit which I expect will last til April and was almost clean out of the store when I spotted a tool (air compressor).... I'll save it for when I actually take delivery.

Hank Knight
11-28-2005, 5:56 PM
I had a terrible struggle Friday with a carcase I'm building. It has a mortise and tenoned face frame with a quirk and bead profile on the inside of the door and drawer openings. My first attempt at cutting the mortise and tenon and mitering the quirk and bead profile by hand was a disaster - nothing fit right. I fiddled with it for hours with no success and went to bed Friday night despondent. I have 10 of those suckers to cut, so Saturday was looking bleak. I got up Saturday morning after having slept on the problem and re cut the joint. It went together perfectly. WOW, what a relief! I had to work my day job Saturday afternoon and Sunday, so I haven't finished the face frame, but I feel a lot better about it than I did on Friday night.
The rest of the weekend is a blur of turkey, dressing, squash, apple pan dowdy, etc, etc. Oh, too much food! Too many pounds!

Dick Parr
11-28-2005, 6:00 PM
Spent some quality time with the better half this weekend and it was great to get to knowing each other again.:D Been spending to much time in the shop, she said.:eek:

Keith Christopher
11-28-2005, 6:30 PM
spent the weekend with my kids and getting to know the lathe better. They really enjoy it. (well pen turning mostly) Worked on the curly maple a little. But mostly chillaxed around the house.

Mike Cutler
11-28-2005, 6:41 PM
Great Weekend!:D

Went to Boston, and saw the Flyers play the Bruins in the Garden, and then stayed in Boston. The hotel was two blocks from the Garden, and there 8 Irish pubs between the Garden and the hotel, so I had to try a Guiness in each one. It was a quality check. They all passed. One was suspect, so I had to have two in that one.;)
Went to Quincy Market, and Fanueil Hall. Stayed away from the Commons, and just had a nice time.

Looking to see the Flyers play the Lightning in Philly. That will really be a weekend. Cheesesteaks and Guiness. Does it get any better than that?

John Bailey
11-28-2005, 7:14 PM
Drive, Drive, Drive!!

Drive from East Jordan to South Haven, MI to spend time with my mom and eat. Drive to Chicago for annual Thanksgiving day meditation and another dinner to eat. Drive to Lansing, MI and spend the day with #2 son, who is finding himself, oh, and eat. Drive back to East Jordan, MI to have 2 days all by myself, oh yea, and eat. Started putting in insulation in the new shop. No heat yet, but that's what sweaters are for.

John

Fred Voorhees
11-28-2005, 7:53 PM
The weekend included winterizing a walk behind mower and a lawn tractor mower. Been meaning to get to them for about a month now. Raked an enormous amount of leaves from the yard with my wife. Been meaning to get to that for about three weeks. Strung christmas lights on the house. An annual favor to the better half - me, I could care less. And oh yes, worked on milling a bunch of poplar and gluing up said poplar for the fixed shelf portions of the two identical corner hutches that I am making for my brother.

Jim Dunn
11-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Spent the week end milling up some popular and walnut for a paint cabinet for SWMBO. Also started to work on an over-head blade guard. I'll post pics when it's finished.