PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Opener table lift

Gordon Stump
10-19-2018, 3:29 PM
My kit and shop made stroke sander was a back breaker to raise and lower the table. There were two hand cranks underneath the table. I used one of those killer Craftsman garage door openers to make a motorized lift. These garage door openers were taken off the market. They would hit a small object like the neighbor's cat and if enough force was reached to move an internal spring the door would reverse so as to hang the poor critter!

Works great with a DPDT Momentary toggle switch and lots of internal re-wiring.

395091 395092

Peter Christensen
10-21-2018, 1:36 PM
Thats a good idea. I could see one being used for a variable height bench or assembly table.

The wife's uncle uses one to raise and lower an old wire mesh satellite dish over the fish pond to keep the racoons from eating the carp.

Gordon Stump
10-21-2018, 6:00 PM
Thats a good idea. I could see one being used for a variable height bench or assembly table.

The wife's uncle uses one to raise and lower an old wire mesh satellite dish over the fish pond to keep the racoons from eating the carp.

Yea, these old dogs are good for lots of things. The cool thing is the limiting switches on a lead screw. So the table height can be adjusted to go so high and stop so low.

Peter Christensen
10-21-2018, 6:28 PM
Forgot to ask if you’ve posted about the stroke sander at all before? Always wanted one but store bought is expensive.

Gordon Stump
10-21-2018, 8:32 PM
No, I am new to this forum. The stroke sander is the most important part of my shop. I bought a kit from McCall House many years ago. It is almost all laminated plywood.