PDA

View Full Version : Routing Irregularly Shaped Groove

Dan Gill
11-28-2005, 7:55 AM
I want to rout a groove (shaped like the state of Texas) into the surface of several cutting boards I've made as gifts. Do I need to make an inside template to do this? In other words, a piece with the shape cut out of it? I have a template I made, but it's an outside template. I can't see being able to keep the guide bushing against that at the corners.

Any advice for making an inside template? I don't have a scroll saw. I suppose I could use a jig saw and plan on a lot of rasping and sanding.

john whittaker
11-28-2005, 8:29 AM
Dan, You will still have a few corners using an "inside template". If you decide to go that rout...use 1/2" MDF as the template as it is easier to shape than 3/4". Also, you will probably experience more burning while making the groove because the tendency is to go very slow. You have a balancing act for sure.

You might consider making a slot in a template and using a guide. A little more work up front but worth it.

Let us know how it comes out.

Dan Gill
11-28-2005, 8:40 AM
John, thanks for your thoughts. I had intended to use a template guide. Can you elaborate on what you mean by making a slot in a template? Do you mean making a template that is just a slot the width of the template guide? If so, I'll have to have places that connect the inside to the outside (like on a stencil). How then to rout the groove in those places?

pat warner
11-28-2005, 9:02 AM
Templet cuts can be full or fractional thickness (edge cuts), inside field (wasting the area inside of circle templet, e.g.), and line work (what you want).
There is no way to guarantee that the bearing or collar-guide will stay against the templet, whether an inside or outside (male/female) templet is used.
Indeed a templet that traps the collar will not allow it to stray. Your line cut is continuous so a single templet with a slot pathway is not possible. 2 templets registered to the same location, each >1/2 the half the pathway would do it. A day's work for this teck but I would do it if I had hundreds of copies to do.
Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

tod evans
11-28-2005, 9:14 AM
dan, would it be out of the question to enlist the help of one of the laser guys on smc? the time saved and the quality achieved with a laser are really something to think about.......02 tod

john whittaker
11-28-2005, 11:49 AM
[quote=Dan Gill] Can you elaborate on what you mean by making a slot in a template? Do you mean making a template that is just a slot the width of the template guide?
Yes. This is what I was referring too. Your point about connecting the stencil (inside to outside) is correct. Since Texas has some straight borders, you could connect the stencil at these points and when you finish the groove using the slotted stencil, finish up the straight sections with an edge guide.

Another thought....You might try free hand routing to make the stencil slots. Draw the Texas border on 1/2" MDF and free hand the non-straight sections using a bit the same thickness as your template guide. It might take a couple tries but with practice I bet you can get close to the proper shape.

Good Luck and be sure to post pics of the finished boards.

Lee DeRaud
11-28-2005, 1:41 PM
Your point about connecting the stencil (inside to outside) is correct. Since Texas has some straight borders, you could connect the stencil at these points and when you finish the groove using the slotted stencil, finish up the straight sections with an edge guide.I suppose moving to Wyoming is out of the question... :D :cool: :p

Dan Gill
11-28-2005, 3:01 PM
I suppose moving to Wyoming is out of the question... :D :cool: :p

According to my wife it is!:p

Alan Turner
11-28-2005, 3:11 PM
Another approach might be a carving gouge. If I had only about 10 or fewer to do, I think it would be faster, depeding upon the size fo the State of Texas.